Skip navigation

"TAG" - 1983 Campaign restoration blog

Back to the top
I just love the quality of restoration! What a wonderful car you will end up with!

Back to the top
So the engine and gearbox are back after their tuning and rebuild.  Very pleased with the results.

DSCN0970.JPG

DSCN0971.JPG

DSCN0972.JPG

Attachment
DSCN0973.JPG thumb=

DSCN0974.JPG

DSCN0975.JPG

Back to the top
Now starting to add the ancillaries etc

New Oil pump

DSCN0986.JPG

New sump and new socket head button bolts
DSCN0990.JPG

New oil splash guard and rocker gasket

Fitting the Topran branded item below proved impossible due to warpage along the length of the plastic splash guard.  No way the rocker nuts would have pulled down.  Had to get a Febi item which fitted great.

DSCN0997.JPG

Back to the top
The had to fit the new bush to the OS engine mount. A fun job!!!!!

Used a block of wood with a large hole drilled out to allow for the protruding middle of the bush.  Using a large vice and lashings of Vaseline I managed to get the bush in.  For the last bit I had to use another block of wood, again drilled out to allow for the protruding middle.  Worked well - but alot of leverage on the vice required!!  Just proves you dont need a press to fit the insert - just some wood Vaseline and a good large vice.

Before fitting it I had a debate on here and with others about the orientation of the rubber bush insert.  The bolt does not pass through the vertical centre of the bush, so if fitted the wrong way up would mean the engine either too high or too low.  I eventually confirmed that the bolt hole is at the BOTTOM of the support - with the gap in the rubber uppermost.  I was surprised at how little info there was on this matter.  Only one small photo in Haynes mentioned it.  I reckon there are quite a few fitted incorrectly out there!

DSCN0999.JPG

DSCN1000.JPG

DSCN1001.JPG

DSCN1003.JPG

DSCN1005.JPG

Back to the top
Fitted the cam belt rear cover - after fitting some new draught excluded to replace the lost foam.

DSCN1007.JPG

DSCN1008.JPG

Cam belt fitted
DSCN1025.JPG

Back to the top
I have had the injectors cleaned and checked by Injectortune.  Thoroughly recommended.  Jason was a delight to deal with, very fast two day turnaround.  The injectors are checked initially, then ultrasonically cleaned and then re-tested.  Three of my injectors were "fair" but now all are "good".  I also had the cold start injector cleaned as well.  

Injectortune - Ultrasonic fuel injector cleaning by Post.

DSCN1027.JPG

Back to the top
Alternator looking good after passivated parts fitted.

DSCN1028.JPG

Back to the top
More of the ancillary parts fitted including distributor, alternator, water pump, water outlet flanges, metal coolant pipe, warm up regulator and exhaust manifold.

Beginning to look like an engine once again!

DSCN1029.JPG

DSCN1030.JPG

DSCN1031.JPG

DSCN1032.JPG

DSCN1033.JPG

Back to the top

Back to the top

"TAG" - 1983 Campaign restoration blog

That’s looking really good Guy. Where did you get the new sump from?
I need to get across to you sometime soon and see how your getting on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Tidy work there, looking good!

I admire your persitence with the engine mount, I tried doing mine in a vice but it wasn't going anywhere. Took it to my local mechanic, and for the price of a couple of bacon sarnies, he pushed it in on his hydraulic press.
Need to do the same with the gearbox side one now I've found it!

J

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
The detail on this blog will help the mk1 community immensely.  Well done for posting everything in such detail mate.  Looks like you will have a belter of a car when this is finished!!

Back to the top

Saulty said

That’s looking really good Guy. Where did you get the new sump from?
I need to get across to you sometime soon and see how your getting on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From Heritage I think.  I've had it n the shelf for ages!

Back to the top

paceman said

Tidy work there, looking good!

I admire your persitence with the engine mount, I tried doing mine in a vice but it wasn't going anywhere. Took it to my local mechanic, and for the price of a couple of bacon sarnies, he pushed it in on his hydraulic press.
Need to do the same with the gearbox side one now I've found it!

J

Thanks paceman.  I was on the verge admitting defeat with the engine mount bush but then it suddenly started and in it went.

Just finished the gearbox side this afternoon.  Proved harder due to the fact that the mount isn't so easy to get in the vice due to it's shape.  The main issue was that the rubber bush insert protrudes in several places - not just the central bolt hole.  I had to adapt a piece of hardwood with recesses made using a drill/spade bit so as not to damage the insert when pressing it in.

I felt so chuffed when I'd done it!  

Until I realised it was upside down!  Some choice words were uttered!  Thankfully due to the Vaseline lube it tapped out remarkably easily and without any damage……  before fitting it the correct way up!

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

The detail on this blog will help the mk1 community immensely.  Well done for posting everything in such detail mate.  Looks like you will have a belter of a car when this is finished!!

Thanks very much Spudfingers.  I know how useful I find  it looking at other peoples photos for reference and gaining knowledge.  

Just glad people read the blog, and if it helps then I'm really glad.

Back to the top

cdgthreesalmons said

Thanks very much Spudfingers.  I know how useful I find  it looking at other peoples photos for reference and gaining knowledge.  

Just glad people read the blog, and if it helps then I'm really glad.

Keep the updates and pics coming mate

Back to the top
More progress.

As explained above this mount was more tricky!

DSCN1043.JPG

Attachment
DSCN1044.JPG thumb=

DSCN1046.JPG

DSCN1048.JPG

Back to the top
Fitted new injector inserts.

Need a 12mm Allen key for this.

One of them was so very tight I have left it in situ for fear of rounding off the socket hole and creating a whole load of trouble!!  It is not split so am happy to leave it alone.

Plenty of muck after removing the insert.  Vacuumed out and then cleaned the hole before refitting.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Nice clean gearbox - all internals overhauled including diff rivets changed for bolt, needle bearing replacements, new gaskets, bearings, and 2nd gear synchro ring.

Temporarily fitted renovated brackets.

Nicely plated gear linkage parts with new bushes.

DSCN1049.JPG

DSCN1050.JPG

DSCN1051.JPG
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.