Skip navigation

"TAG" - 1983 Campaign restoration blog

Back to the top
The inner wings were treated and painted in the same way.  I wanted it all painted before I refitted the wings.  

When the car goes to the paint shop I will get the whole lot topcoated/lacquered - but clearly some areas will be unreachable for him  - but this way I know that everywhere is treated/painted.

SAM_1129.JPG

SAM_1130.JPG

SAM_1131.JPG

SAM_1133.JPG

Back to the top
Finally refitted the wings and seam sealed them.

All looking rather better now than when I started!

SAM_1146.JPG

SAM_1147.JPG

Back to the top
Next step was to clean up the front valance/ front grille areas.

What I thought was a couple of rust bubbles son developed into rather more……….

Also the holes holding the lower spoiler were bad as well.

SAM_0959.JPG

SAM_1063.JPG

SAM_1064.JPG

SAM_1071.JPG

SAM_1072.JPG

Back to the top
New metal sections formed and welded in.  All spoiler holes also repaired and re-drilled.

SAM_1069.JPG

SAM_1073.JPG

Back to the top
I also found that sections of the flange behind the grille were crusty and required repair.  

A trick I read about online, and that works very well I found is to use some old copper (I used some 15mm copper pipe flattened in a vice) - clamp that behind the area you are about to weld.  The copper draws the heat away to prevent blow-through and the weld will not attach to the copper.  Rather useful trick that was very useful in repairing the thin metal of the flange.

SAM_1077.JPG

SAM_1078.JPG

SAM_1079.JPG

SAM_1125.JPG

Back to the top
Finally time to remove the interior, dash etc.

SAM_1084.JPG

SAM_1106.JPG

SAM_1110.JPG

SAM_1111.JPG

SAM_1112.JPG

SAM_1113.JPG

Back to the top
Cleaned up the a-pillars and windscreen surround.  Sadly found a hole and a bad repair at the lower edge of the screen on both sides.  Cut out the grot/bad repair - new fiddly sections made and welded in.  Again I will the paint man to sort out the final sanding/filling.

SAM_1083.JPG

SAM_1148.JPG

SAM_1149_LI.jpg

SAM_1150.1.JPG

SAM_1150.JPG

SAM_1162.JPG

SAM_1163.JPG

Back to the top
And then the drivers's side more of the same.  The photo makes the final weld look worse than it really is!!  Now totally solid.

SAM_1152.JPG

SAM_1152_LI.jpg

SAM_1153.JPG

SAM_1165.JPG

Back to the top
and a hold appeared close to the wiper spindle hole - now sorted.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Now to tackle the passenger door.  

Removing the main glass was easy but the front quarter light was a little more involved.

For those who have not done that job:

1.  Self tapper screw at the top of the glass support bar.

SAM_1034.JPG

2.  Rivet to drill out on the support door - on the inner door panel near the interior door release hole.

SAM_1035.JPG

3.  Rivet to drill out underneath the door.

SAM_1036.JPG

Then pull the support bar at the top and towards the back of the door to free it from the quarterlight rubber.

SAM_1037.JPG

Then after a bit of careful wriggling/persuasion (!) it will "JUST" come out the from the bottom of the door.  It is a surprisingly long item actually.

SAM_1044.JPG

SAM_1045.JPG

SAM_1046.JPG

SAM_1047.JPG

Back to the top
Door removed and cleaned up to reveal all its surprises.

SAM_1042.JPG

SAM_1043.JPG

SAM_1171.JPG

SAM_1172.JPG

Back to the top
The only really bad area, and it was pretty bad!, was the ventilation hole in the door.  Where due to the plastic rain sheet being badly fitted or condensation it was hard to tell.

So cut out the grot, made a pretty intricate and awkward shaped repair and welded in.  Finally added the holes for the ventilation flap.

SAM_1173.JPG

SAM_1175.JPG

SAM_1176.JPG

SAM_1177.JPG

SAM_1179.JPG

SAM_1186.JPG

Back to the top
Also had to repair the holes where the armrest is held by the plastic plugs.  Not surprisingly these holes has badly distorted over the years.  Again a rather tricky place to repair.

SAM_1190.JPG

Back to the top
Now cleaning the inside of the door to check for any issues.  Thankfully it was in terrific shape - no problems at all down below…..

SAM_1191.JPG

Back to the top
The front scuttle lip also need some repair work - especially by the VIN number.  Welded in new - will need to finish it off when the engine is out.

SAM_1079.JPG

SAM_1081.JPG

SAM_1208.JPG

Back to the top
Also repaired where the previous Zender spoiler fitted.  S section of which was fitted into the top of the C-pillar.  Hard to make out in the pics I am afraid.

SAM_1156.JPG

SAM_1159.JPG

SAM_1160.JPG

SAM_1209.JPG

Back to the top

Back to the top
Crusty in the usual places but no rot at all thankfully!

SAM_1202.JPG

SAM_1203.JPG

SAM_1204.JPG

Back to the top
After a few hours with the wire brush it cleaned up well.  Then washed down with POR 15 degreaser, then POR 15 Metal Prep and finally Bilt Hamber.    I removed all the old sealant around the strengthening bars - it had lifted in areas and water had got behind.  I will reseal this more neatly prior to painting.

SAM_0006.JPG

SAM_0008.JPG
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.