Skip navigation

83 Gti set to get full resto

Back to the top

My 83 Gti set to get full restoration

Nice work Andy, as always ;)

That's a saucey looking intercooler  :cool: Are you likely to have any issues with it restricting airflow to the rad?

What's the latest on yours getting in to the body shop for paint now?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Cheers Andy, intercooler is just an ebay special, think it was £70, we'll see how it holds out. With regards to airflow to the rad, the top half is exposed as the intercooler is shorter and I was thinking about making some sort of air scoops coming off the back of the grille at either side of the rad and try to divert the air into the gap between the IC and the rad, that's if I've got enough room O_o

Back to the top
Well you're not re-inventing the wheel or anything so am sure it will work just fine ;)

So paint job, when??

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Good progress andy.

Like the brackets. Stitching the layers back together must have been a laborious task, great patience  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
good work as normal. have you got a link to the intercooler you brought as it looks a decent size, also is that a standard gti rad your using?

Old dubs never die, they just get lower

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Well you're not re-inventing the wheel or anything so am sure it will work just fine ;)

So paint job, when??

Still having trouble finding someone decent to paint her :P

pazwaa said

Good progress andy.

Like the brackets. Stitching the layers back together must have been a laborious task, great patience  :thumbs:

Matt

Cheers Matt, it was a bit of a pain but worth doing.

dik-van-dub said

good work as normal. have you got a link to the intercooler you brought as it looks a decent size, also is that a standard gti rad your using?

Yeah mate, standard Gti rad. I'll see if I can find the link for the IC for you :thumbs:

Back to the top

Back to the top
cheers for the link, sos to spoil your fun but arnt 3 inch ports a bit big for a 1.8t, or are you going big turbo?

Old dubs never die, they just get lower

Back to the top

dik-van-dub said

cheers for the link, sos to spoil your fun but arnt 3 inch ports a bit big for a 1.8t, or are you going big turbo?

I've got a k04 ready to fit, so went for 3" ports :thumbs:

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

dik-van-dub said

I've got a k04 ready to fit, so went for 3" ports :thumbs:
I was wrong about my IC having 3" ports, it's actually 2.5"  O_oIs this still good enough for my K04? Tbh I didn't do much homework on this, was more of an impulsive buy :dry:Anyway I've been stripping the 1.8T ready for painting and have come to the conclusion that I need to strip it right down and rebuild. I'll be replacing seals, piston rings, head skim, etc etc… This is a job I've never done before but I want to have a go at. Having never done it before, I'm not sure where to start, so any tips would be greatly received :thumbs: I have taken some good advice from Yomp so far about blasting the block, taking measurements of engine parts etc but all suggestions are welcome.

Here is how the engine is atm

Here's what came off the motor :lol:

Anyone know if all of this alternator bracket is needed or if I can cut the bottom half off? especially where the three holes are at the bottom?

In other news, I have finally arranged to get the painter/panel beater from RodandCustom to come round next week to see my car, so hopefully she'll be off to the bodyshop sometime soon :party: :party:That's all for now peeps.

Andy.

Last edit: by Melteddrummer

Back to the top
Good stuff Andy :thumbs:.  What was the engine originally out of? What kind of power will the turbo give you? I'm looking forward to getting started on my engine.

Back to the top
The engine is a 1.8T 20V from a mk4 golf. I'm fitting a k04 turbo, upgrading all the pipework, FMIC, 02J gearbox with LSD, G60 flywheel/Vr6 clutch combo and hoping for around 280bhp :lol:

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

The engine is a 1.8T 20V from a mk4 golf. I'm fitting a k04 turbo, upgrading all the pipework, FMIC, 02J gearbox with LSD, G60 flywheel/Vr6 clutch combo and hoping for around 280bhp :lol:

That will be power will be crazy in such a light car O_o, you will scare yourself.  :'(

Back to the top
Thats the plan!! :lol:

Back to the top
Should be easy enough job Andy. Head off, sump off, then just methodical in removing bearing caps, crank, pistons etc and just keep everything clean (I know you will!) and numbered so parts go back in same cylinders etc.

Any joy on the paint front yet?

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Back to the top
Yeah mate, the painter/panel beater from Rod and Custom is coming to have a look next week to give me another quote. This guy is the business! I've been up to his unit this morning to sort it all out, hopefully he'll take my car in the next few weeks, fingers crossed :thumbs:

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

Epic work  :ocf_emoticons__notworthy:

Cheers mate, she's getting there slowly but surely :)

Back to the top
Oh nice one Andy, I can't wait to see paint on this. You were keeping with Mars red weren't you?

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Yeah mate, keeping her Mars Red :thumbs:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.