Skip navigation

83 Gti set to get full resto

Back to the top

My 83 Gti set to get full restoration

Tango788 said

Read that 220grit to go straight into it with the D/A sander - then use the oxide wheels to get right down to metal and to then smooth it off using a 400grit ?

That sounds about right, you need to get through the top coat first, take the shine away, then attack with the oxide wheels, then your DA sander last.

Back to the top
Hi a lot of hard work has gone into your build and its looking first class mate

Back to the top

harryb said

Hi a lot of hard work has gone into your build and its looking first class mate

Cheers, Harry B :thumbs:

Small update, I managaed to get the boot floor finished, it's now in epoxy 121, I've abraded a bit ready for the stonechip.

This is the reason I held back on the epoxy at first. I still had some work on the boot floor inside, had a few holes to weld up and knew I'd scorch the paint underneath.

scorched where i welded the rear panel on

Now all in Epoxy, also all keyed ready for the stone chip

Also epoxy'd the bottom half of the engine bay

Bought some Hammerite stone chip from Halfrauds to try out but it's not the thick stuff I was after, probably ok for the bottom of the sills though.

That's all for now, peeps.

Back to the top
looking good! Keep those pics coming :thumbs:

Back to the top
Will do mate!! :thumbs:

Back to the top
Nice to see the bottom all finished and black Andy  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Certainly is Andy, I've just been welding the towing eye back on today that I forgot about :lol:  Would have had her back on her wheels again today but I've bought a mk4 GT tdi as a daily which needed the rear axle bushes doing, so been doing that :)  

Back to the top
Coming on man  :thumbs:

Enjoy checking into this thread. 

Back to the top
Its definitely coming on Andy. 
Are you going to paint the underside and inner arches mars red also?

First Golf, lots of work. I've started so I'll finish!

Back to the top

Macca said

Its definitely coming on Andy. 
Are you going to paint the underside and inner arches mars red also?

I wasn't going to but I'm starting to think that way now, just need to find some rubbery underseal first, other than that 3M stuff in a bag, I'm not sure what to buy :|

Back to the top
Brilliant work Andy. Coming along nicely now.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Small update :thumbs:

Been doing a few little bits and pieces off the snagging list before she goes to the painters in a few weeks. Firstly I had to re-attach the towing eye from the rear, another thing I forgot about :lol:

Before shot

Cut a piece out of some 1.5mm sheet metal

Then bent it into a similar shape as the original

Took a little bit of fettling to get right but got it in the end

welded up and sealed :thumbs:

Car is back on it's wheels again now for the last time :party:

Time to start sorting the doors etc out, haven't even looked at what these need :$  Anyway, I unpacked the door I bought ages ago to see how it was and it's not too bad thankfully

little bit of surface rust on the bottom edge

Took the paint back and found a few little pitted areas which have been treated before but I cleaned them out and re-treated.

Applied some etch primer after I cleaned up again then fitted the door, fits like a glove. I need to re drill a hole for the mirror as the guy I bought it off patched it up for some reason.

Been working in the scuttle area too. I need to remove all the sealer as it's old and brittle, cracking etc so made a start on that, also need to repair the wiper motor bracket as it was rotten too.

That's where I'm up to at the minute, I'll have another update in a few days :thumbs:

Thanks for looking,

Andy :cool:

Back to the top
Excellent work as always Andy. Awesome fabricating skills :)

Back to the top
Cheers Andy :thumbs: Looking forward to sending the car away now so I can concentrate on the engine, going to strip the head off etc and check it over a bit.

Also going to be refurbing parts when she's away, still loads to do :lol:

Back to the top
Such a transformation Andy in such a short time too - I can't wait to see it in paint!

I haven't touched mine since May!  :$ Haven't had a free weekend since then pretty much, out of choice mostly - i.e. gone to shows, family stuff etc - but hope to be stuck in to it again shortly.

I think yours will be on the road before we know it. Good stuff  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I hope so mate, there's just the small matter of the engine conversion and no clue how to do it though :lol:

Hope you can back on track with your project Andy, would be nice to park up beside you at some shows etc :)

Back to the top
Brilliant as always carnt wait to get mine bk on 4 wheels lol long time away yet as u saw by the pics lol

Back to the top
Great work on this as always :thumbs:. Will look splendid once its in paint!

Back to the top
if you go with a mk2/3 wiper motor that bracket wont be used anyway, could save you a job ;)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

if you go with a mk2/3 wiper motor that bracket wont be used anyway, could save you a job ;)

Like the idea of that John.

Is this the right one? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/98-VW-GOLF-MK3-FRONT-WIPER-MECHANISM-MOTOR-REF-S346-/251198180818?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a7c940dd2

By the looks of it there's just one hole to drill to mount it? Correct?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.