Skip navigation

83 Gti set to get full resto

Back to the top

My 83 Gti set to get full restoration

Loads of help available on here mate for the 20v conversion and then there's me :lol: :lol:

Back to the top
Evening all, bit of a small update.

The resto has been slow lately for one reason or another but hopefully, I can get back on track and get some more progress made.

I have been trying to get hold of an O/S Rear wheel arch/tub which has been harder than anticipated. VW Heritage can get them but not until the end of September :P  I hope to have the welding side of things done by then so I can concentrate on doing the engine conversion, so that was a no no.

Anyway, I have managed to source the tub in two halves :lol:  I got the inner tub/turret from Cavs (a member on here) and I got the inner arch from my old mucker Andy, a.k.a Hairyarse :cool:  A massive thanks to these guys as it's going to save me some waiting time that I could do without, thanks lads  :thumbs:

I started work on the two halves last night, I started by removing what was left of the chassis rail that was still attached to the tub..

Removing the sealer

After I removed the sealer I moved on to drilling the spot welds with my new spot weld miller, what a tool!! I fully recommend getting one if needed. Bought it from screwfix.

Spot welds removed in seconds with this tool

Chassis rail removed and next to it, the inner arch from Hairyarse.

Mock up of the two halves together

Next task was to start removing the underseal, man this stuff was laid on thick! :P It has literally taken me all day today to get this stuff off lol

That is as far as I've gotten today, would have done more but I was starting to get high from the sealer fumes  :lol:

On a side note I managed to get hold of a new rear beam with a brand new Weitec anti roll bar, Coilovers and brand new callipers and disc conversion with braided hoses for a very good price, just couldn't resist :lol:

Cheers, Andy.

Back to the top
Looking good Andy, jealous of that rear beam setup  :cool:

Back to the top
Yeah it's a good set up, just need coillies for the front now!

Back to the top
Nice work Andy. Yes, underseal is the devils work, so much patience required!

How does the pattern part mate up with the wheel tub?

Nice rear beam btw ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Looks ok so far thanks, Andy, I think when I get the old one out, I'll offer the new one up in two halves and then tack it up, so that the filler neck is in the right place and also so that the inner arch fits nicely around the outer arch. If that makes sense? Once its tacked up, I'll remove it again and weld it up properly, then refit.

Back to the top
Was the rear beam on eBay recently? Looks the business.

Back to the top
It was mate yeah, was only a 20 minute drive so thought I might as well :)

Back to the top
Yes that makes sense, wise way to tackle it.

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Awesome work, you make it look soo easy!

Back to the top

sp8y said

Awesome work, you make it look soo easy!

Cheers Sp8y  :$  not sure about easy though mate, there's a lot of head scratching going on here :lol:  

Back to the top
Wow rear beam looks smashing :)

Nice work removing the underseal it's a complete   :P  :P  :P of a job.

Back to the top
Think I would have paid to have that arch dipped to remove the underseal. Must of been a pain just keeping it still!

At least its done now!:thumbs:

Back to the top

Yomp said

Think I would have paid to have that arch dipped to remove the underseal. Must of been a pain just keeping it still!

At least its done now!:thumbs:

Keeping it still was the worst thing about it :P  I had it on the bench, on the floor, on the bench on the floor………………………………………………………… :lol:

Back to the top
alot more impressive work mate. loving the jacking point.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Got a bit more done this week, been a bit slow as I've done three different shifts this week at work, so just trying to work round it :P

Managed to remove the rear O/S tub, what a nightmare that was lol :P

My plan for this weekend is to get the two halves of the new tub welded in and make a start on the outer sill but we'll see how it goes. Once that's done there's just the spare wheel well to fit and a bit of work on the floor and the 'A' pillar to sort out, then I'll refit the suspension and get that 20V T fitted :cool:

A while back I bought an old grille with the red trim on from Golfc -a member on here- which needed refurbishing so been doing a bit of that every day too. Tokk me three days to do it properly and I'm pleased with the results considering it's just done with rattle cans.

Forgot to take before pics :P  but the grille trim was poorly painted mars red over the top of the laquer on a chrome trim, so I took it right back with different grades of sandpaper

Once that was done it got a coat of etch primer

Then 2 coats of red primer

Followed by three coats of mars red

Turned out nice I reckon

Trial fit

That's all for now peeps, more updates this weekend!!

Cheers, Andy :cool:

Back to the top
Nice grille trim Andy

I've started on my tub but not had much time on it, was thinking it may be a nightmare to do so you've confirmed my suspicions!

I guess fitting the new one will be easier :)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Let's hope Andy. The last one I did was easier going back in than coming out iirc.

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

My plan for this weekend is to get the two halves of the new tub welded in and make a start on the outer sill but we'll see how it goes. Once that's done there's just the spare wheel well to fit and a bit of work on the floor and the 'A' pillar to sort out, then I'll refit the suspension and get that 20V T fitted :cool:

My weekend plan is; I might just give mine another quick polish before cruising out to Stanford Hall on Sunday to put my feet up and put it on show! :cool:

I'll try to think of you toiling away! :lol:  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Yomp said

Melteddrummer said

My weekend plan is; I might just give mine another quick polish before cruising out to Stanford Hall on Sunday to put my feet up and put it on show! :cool:

I'll try to think of you toiling away! :lol:  :thumbs:

:P  :P *&^%&^* ^$£%^&^ *Y*(&*&%&^ $%$*(@:{>  :P  :P   :lol:  :lol:

Enjoy your weekend mate!! (hope it doesn't rain O_o )  Get some pics for inspiration for me please!! :cool:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.