Skip navigation

83 Gti set to get full resto

Back to the top

My 83 Gti set to get full restoration

Quality is in the detail!:thumbs:Nice work.

Back to the top
Cheers Jimi, cheers Yomp  :cool:

The resto is going to be taking a different direction now. I was originally going to keep the car totally standard but I'm now going 20V T. My car doesn't have much history, I've got a pile of receipts dating back to 2001 but that's it.

I've got an AGU engine with 40K on the clock sitting there, my old DX engine has 167k on the clock, so I'm wanting something with a few less miles, plus, I want the experience of doing the conversion as it probably won't be the last time I do it.

Back to the top
Fair play.
The more that are modded the rarer and more valuble our standard cars become:thumbs::lol:!!

I'd have your original gti box off you if you wasn't so far away.

Back to the top
I still plan to get a standard Gti but I want something with less miles and a full history would be nice too. If I can find something that needs restoring with the above requirements, it would be worth putting back to standard as it would have more value at the end of the restoration.

This car is my practice car if you like, to see if I would want to do another. I do!! :ninja:

Back to the top

Yomp said

I'd have your original gti box off you if you wasn't so far away.

I could always put it on a pallet for you if you want it?

Back to the top
Go for the modded gti :thumbs:. You have exactly the same idea as me! I have always wanted to restore a car and my project is my 1st one. It was something I wanted to do not knowing how difficult it would be and if I would want to do again. I chose a mk1 gti as I had always loved them and parts are readily available and cheap to buy. A perfect car to learn the neccessay skills on. Then if I came to do another it will be something with a little more history than my car. Would love to do a E30 M3.  :)

Back to the top

Jimievo said

Would love to do a E30 M3.  :)

That would be nice!!

Sounds like you've got the same Ideas as me mate. I want to move on to Porsches eventually :ninja:

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

I could always put it on a pallet for you if you want it?

I need to know the number on the bottom of the flywheel housing + if its the right box how much you would want for it?

I want to rebuild a box but with a tall 5th gear for motorway cruising.

……..Oh no I'm going down the modified route! :lol:

Back to the top
Very slick repair on the inner sill Andy  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I'll check that number out for you tomorrow, not sure how much they go for? I'll give you a good deal though. Box is nice and smooth!!

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Very slick repair on the inner sill Andy  :cool:

Cheers, Andy. I'm Pleased with the way it turned out. :cool:

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

I'll check that number out for you tomorrow, not sure how much they go for? I'll give you a good deal though. Box is nice and smooth!!

OK cheers. I'm after a knackered one really as its to rebuild. :offtopic:

Back to the top
Andy, you could tie the Queen Mary up using that jacking point lol

Back to the top

Cero said

Andy, you could tie the Queen Mary up using that jacking point lol

Agreed  :lol:

Back to the top
Great build, top class work going on here:)

Back to the top

Dubbuds said

Great build, top class work going on here:)

Cheers, man :$  much appreciated :cool:

Back to the top
Another 20vt conversion. There'll be more 20v MK1's than anything else on the road soon :lol: :lol:

Good luck with the conversion mate. :)

Back to the top
Cheers, Smudger. Not sure where to start with it though lol. Wish I knew a good mechanic up here  :P  

Back to the top
You can do it mate. Loads of info out there on here and other VW forums about the conversion. Is there anyone local to you with a 20v MK1?

Back to the top
Not that I know of mate, I'll do some digging though. For now I'm just gonna get as much info as possible from the net.

Cheers, Andy.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.