Skip navigation

83 Gti set to get full resto

Back to the top

My 83 Gti set to get full restoration

Just my opinion, but I'd be putting the GTi arch trims on as well as original bumpers.

Back to the top
Yeah I might do that, got some there.

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Hi all, god it's been a long time since I was on here :$

Yes Yomp I have some updates. 

The car is running we280bhp, it's stupidly quick, however the handling is rubbish, I couldn't work out what was wrong with it as I'm running KW v2s and everything is brand new. It feels like the car wants to go straight forward when cornering. I think I may have Sussed it though, if you grab a 

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

This looks sweeeeeetttt!!! :thumbs:

Follow me on Instagram, scottyr_mk1golf

Back to the top
Cheers Scotty :thumbs:

Back to the top
cheers  for the no , nigel

Back to the top
Only just joined the forum and been reading this from start to finish over the past few days. Absolute cracking read and love the car, looking forward to seeing the car in the flesh.

Giving me the inspiration to pull my finger out and get mine started.

Back to the top
Thanks very much MC1980 😎

It was a long slog getting her to where she is now but so worth the hard work. You're in the right place for inspiration and help, I couldn't have done it without the help of a good few people on here(you know who yous are) but the only way to get them finished is to crack on mate. 

Good luck with it and if you need any help just fire away👍

Andy😎

Back to the top
Testing the water here. My car may be going up for sale soon. I need funds to help with a career change, so thinking of giving the car up. Once I'm sorted, I'll probably be looking for another one haha. Anyway, since my last update on here the car has literally only been to a few shows. There's still a bit of work to do to finish her properly but to the right person it'll be nothing.

1. Electrics need looking at, I'm sure its just a bad earth somewhere but the battery light and the indicator light stay illuminated when the ignition is off, so I need to keep disconnecting the battery.

2. Interior needs finishing, I planned to do this once the electrics were finished so I could fit the carpet properly once done. I've got new red stripe cloth that I bought from heritage for a re-trim on the seats.

3. The engine sounds like it's hunting once warmed up, not sure if it's an air leak somewhere(most likely) or if it's something to do with fuelling? The car is a 20V agu with K04 conversion and the stage 2 map was done away from the car so could also be the culprit of the poor idle.

That's it for the nasties, everything else on the car is brand new. For those who haven't read this thread, give it read to see the work that has been carried out, it took 3 years and close to 2000 hours to get her where she is now. Although the car is still not quite finished, I wouldn't take a penny less than £10K. That may seem steep to some and may seem a bargain to others but that's what it'll take for me to part with her.

I'll post a couple of pics as she sits now. bbs.jpg

PM me if interested.

19225747_10154382757296595_2013648442374255909_n.jpg 18527684_10154294951356595_1159091407701187069_n.jpg

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top
I know mate, I've spent double that if I'm honest but just trying to be realistic considering there's still some work to do to finish it. Like you say though, it is maybe too cheap, I'll only consider offers £10K or over.

Back to the top
Whatcha mate!

Sad to see it's up for sale but good luck with it and the career change

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Aw man i wish i had the cash for this. If i had not took up karting last year n bought loads.of kit. I would have had this. I mind reading this when i was being built.

Back to the top
whatever happened to this? Was it sold or is it still going?

Back to the top
6CD15C99-87BF-4DCD-B68B-73CBE7B48C18.jpeg It's still going! I managed to keep hold of her.  9D7F15E8-ED54-4298-B0FE-2FF27ECE035A.png

Back to the top
Still got a few plans for her. Going to change to DBW instead of cable. Interior still needs sorting when I finally get round to it haha.

Back to the top
Nice! I see you've updated your garage aswell, huh?  :lol:

What's the reason for converting to drive-by-wire? Any particular reason?

Back to the top
Wish it was my garage mate!! 😂 

Reason for wanting DBW is just for tuning/mapping etc. My car is running Standard management ME3.8, which is cable drive. Not many people do mapping for this now and I need to travel to get it looked at. If I upgrade to ME7.5, it gives me more options/ places to go for the mapping etc.

Back to the top
Are all the pics restored in this thread of the build?

Back to the top
Should all be there Rambling. My photo bucket is restored now 👍 hope you're well?!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.