Skip navigation

83 Gti set to get full resto

Back to the top

My 83 Gti set to get full restoration

pazwaa said

daft question, but is there too much black with the bumper, end caps and trim all being black?

No…

This is the look that I am going for this time around too.  :)

Getting rid of anything chrome or silver in favour of black. May keep a small amount of siver in there somewhere, but mostly black trims.

Back to the eighties!

Back to the top
Exactly Al, this is the way forward matey :ninja:

Back to the top
looking gooooooooooooood matey!!!
 :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

how long to go do you think??
i bet you can't wait to cruise down the road  :)  :)

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti
1994 golf vr6 - gone but not forgotten
2005 mk5 gti family wagen

Back to the top
Cheers Richie :thumbs:  Hoping for next weekend or the week after, just having a few teething problems at the minute, won't be long though. :thumbs:

Back to the top
new month!  :ocf_emoticons__icon_biggrin:
has the red monster cut its teeth yet?

Back to the top
yeah come on wheres the updates

Old dubs never die, they just get lower

Back to the top
Sorry there's been no updates for a while but I'm getting nowhere fast. I thought the rebuild was the easy bit lol….give me a rusty shell any day over this carry on!

I was trying to get car ready for the weekend of the VW festival at Harewood but it never happened, couldn't get any of the lights working and still can't. The engine is running on 3 cylinders, I'm now waiting for another ignition ampifier to rule that out.

The hydro clutch conversion i did with the Willwood M/C was over throwing the clutch fork into the cover on the clutch itself so when I was pressing the pedal it was bouncing off the studs on the clutch cover. I've had to get myself an oem Mk4 M/c and rework the pedal box/ hydro lines etc

I'm now on the lookout for a late 02J shifter tower locally as the gear shifter that I so carefully cut out the gearbox tunnel on the shell isnt compatible with the style of tower on my gearbox :lol:

Honestly it's just one thing after another :lol:

Normally I would be taking pics of all this and documenting it but it's just doing my nut if I'm honest :banghead:  :banghead:

Rant over :thumbs:

Back to the top

robvw said

new month!  :ocf_emoticons__icon_biggrin:
has the red monster cut its teeth yet?

No teeth cut but I've got plenty cut and bruised knuckles if that counts!!!  I actually burst the fatty bit at the base of my thumb when the gearbox fell off the jack and landed on my hand a couple of weeks ago lol.

Back to the top
This was her almost ready for Harewood

She might be a pain in the bum but I still cant wait to take her out..same as any woman really!!

Back to the top
Mate i feel for you. I know exactly how ur feeling. One thing after another it dont half take its tole on the build but its all worth it once u get in it n drive it  :thumbs: keep up the good work buddy!!!

Click on the link below to see my mk1 16v project

http://vwgolfmk1.org.u…-16v-project#post_1081899

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

This was her almost ready for Harewood

She might be a pain in the bum but I still cant wait to take her out..same as any woman really!!

Sorry to hear it's not quite going to plan Andy. But wether running or not, she's look amazing in that photo  :thumbs:

Shame you couldn't make it to harewood with her, would have loved to see her. Hopefully next year  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Looks Great! Gotta love a Mars Red Golf :)

Back to the top
Yeah, there's always next year, Matt…..again :lol:

Back to the top

stev said

Looks Great! Gotta love a Mars Red Golf :)

Cheers stev      yeah, she's a beauty!  :cool:

Back to the top

chipster2407 said

Mate i feel for you. I know exactly how ur feeling. One thing after another it dont half take its tole on the build but its all worth it once u get in it n drive it  :thumbs: keep up the good work buddy!!!

Can't wait for that day mate! It's so close yet so far, as they say!! :lol:

Back to the top
This may help with your ignition amp problem. I used it on my old 1.8t yrs ago. 
DIY test of power output stage/ignition amp module N122 (long & BWW) - AudiWorld Forums

Back to the top
Sorry to hear of your woes Andy #3! Hope you're thumb is OK too.

You'll get to the end soon enough and it will be well worth all your hard work. The car looks amazing!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Sorry there's been no updates for a while but I'm getting nowhere fast. I thought the rebuild was the easy bit lol….give me a rusty shell any day over this carry on!

I was trying to get car ready for the weekend of the VW festival at Harewood but it never happened, couldn't get any of the lights working and still can't. The engine is running on 3 cylinders, I'm now waiting for another ignition ampifier to rule that out.

The hydro clutch conversion i did with the Willwood M/C was over throwing the clutch fork into the cover on the clutch itself so when I was pressing the pedal it was bouncing off the studs on the clutch cover. I've had to get myself an oem Mk4 M/c and rework the pedal box/ hydro lines etc

I'm now on the lookout for a late 02J shifter tower locally as the gear shifter that I so carefully cut out the gearbox tunnel on the shell isnt compatible with the style of tower on my gearbox :lol:

Honestly it's just one thing after another :lol:

Normally I would be taking pics of all this and documenting it but it's just doing my nut if I'm honest :banghead:  :banghead:

Rant over :thumbs:

Stock Rocks :lol:

So close now though! Seems an age we were discussing welding!!

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Sorry to hear of your woes Andy #3! Hope you're thumb is OK too.

You'll get to the end soon enough and it will be well worth all your hard work. The car looks amazing!

Cheers andy#1.

I know it'll be worth it in the end, it just gets a bit disheartening sometimes, nearly there though.

Back to the top
Yomp

Yeah you're right mate. If I'd stayed stock, I'd be driving around in her now!! 

Who's idea was it to go custom??  :lol:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.