Skip navigation

'83 Golf - (non)BBS Bodykit - Resto Project - (02/01/22)

Back to the top

'83 Golf - (non)BBS Bodykit - Resto Project

Car looks great in primer, and not too many repairs for the bodyshop   :thumbs:

Looking forward to seeing it painted.

Matt

Back to the top
Cheers Matt, not looking too shabby!

Can't wait to get it into paint, just so hesitant to spend so much just on paint, I haven't taken the decision on who will paint it lightly for this very reason (I don't spend money very easily)! I do know it'll be worth it though :D Once I get the 1st pic back from the paintshop after it's been painted.. I'll probably let out some wee!

Wanted: Front Bumper, DESPERATELY NEED A DRIVERS WING!

MY Build Thread

My Facebook Build Page #Project83

Back to the top
Well after nearly an hour of battling last night I managed to get the car jacked up on axle stands and remove the exhaust in preparation for the body shop next week!

Also started to remove some of the under seal, but got very bored, very quickly!

Will get the rear beam, suspension ad wishbones off at some for for a good cleanup! maybe one day I can start putting things back on instead of taking them off! - and get a bigger garage!

Last edit: by alfie

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Well good news! After 15 Months since I got the car back from the initial "painter". I finally took the Golf to paint OH YEAH!!

Didn't manage to get down on Saturday due to torential rain, but re-scheduled for the Monday. Still a fair bit of rain, so was getting pretty pi55ed off on the 2 and a half hour trip down, but about 30 minutes before arrival, there was full on sunshine, so dried out the car a treat with no obviouse issues : )

The car will be getting a full strip down and a coat of expoxy primer to keep it sweet but work doesn't officially start for a month or so. Andy will have the car for a bit longer than normal as this will reduce the cost a little, but the car is really good hands now!

So was surprised to get a pic of the wings already blasted, zinc coated and primed!

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Looking good Alfie, defo in good hands now mate!! :thumbs:

Back to the top
Borrowed the Golf back today to do a bit of work on it before Spikes Vintage restorations work their magic.

Initially going to keep the arches black, but want them body colour now! This stuff is insanely tough to shift..! Still much to do but a good start!

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Tough stuff that isn't it mate?:! Can't wait to see Spikes work on your car, I'm guessing it's going to be awesome, as every other car they do is!!

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Tough stuff that isn't it mate?:! Can't wait to see Spikes work on your car, I'm guessing it's going to be awesome, as every other car they do is!!

I couldn't quite believe how tough it was! Ended up getting a callus in the center of my hand atfer only a few minutes of using the chisel!  

Spoken to the painter and he's said he uses a guy that can sand blast the entire underside of the car for £300..

So I have a choice: I could just pay the £300 get the whole underside blasted clean, proffessionally and primed ready for paint, no effort. Or I could travel back down to where the car is stored at the moment in essex, spend another day stripping as much as I can by hand and hope that's enough… and save £300. hmmm

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
I used a grinder with a wire wheel but you end up with stringy stuff everywhere and it takes the factory primer off + doesnt smell too good.

I'd spend the £300 if you have it mate

Back to the top
Having removed a cars worth of underseal before I'd definitely pay the £300, will be much easier.

Back to the top
Sandblasting may not take it all off, as the sand just bounces off the rubbery under seal, but if he says he can do it, then go for it. It may take you more than 1 day to do it so may mean another trip. You need to weigh up the costs of travelling as well.

Back to the top

MR_LONG said

I used a grinder with a wire wheel but you end up with stringy stuff everywhere and it takes the factory primer off + doesnt smell too good.

I'd spend the £300 if you have it mate

Yeah I know what you mean, by using the chisel and thinners like I have above I've managed to keep the factory primer in tact and it looks sweet!

sp8y said

Having removed a cars worth of underseal before I'd definitely pay the £300, will be much easier.

Melteddrummer said

Sandblasting may not take it all off, as the sand just bounces off the rubbery under seal, but if he says he can do it, then go for it. It may take you more than 1 day to do it so may mean another trip. You need to weigh up the costs of travelling as well.

To be honest I don't mind the work, I quite like it actually and have done a lot of work already on the front, it's just whether or not I have the time, and rightly so Andy, the cost of fuel every time I do the 230 round trip. If I don't get it all down I would get the Blaster to finish it.. but it all depends how much I would actually save after setup costs etc.

This is a Porker that was done by the same blaster that apparently had crazy thick layer of underseal and now look at it :) Spike was surprised, as usually as you say, the sand just bounces off!

So definatelly able to do it..

I JUST HATE SPENDING MONEY!!!!!

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Yeah let them do it, you'll never do it in a day!  :lol:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
"I JUST HATE SPENDING MONEY"????  

That's what mk1's are for, isn't it? :lol:

Back to the top
Just read through all pages ..awesome job so far mate :D

jamie

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

"I JUST HATE SPENDING MONEY"????  

That's what mk1's are for, isn't it? :lol:

Haha yeah.. And then some! Really trying to keep costs to a minimum, but when I want it to be so perfect I end up in situations like this lol!

mk1 Jamie said

Just read through all pages ..awesome job so far mate :D

jamie

Cheers bud, lot of hard work, heartache and generally not a lot happening throughout the build though at times :D glad to see peope still keeping an eye on the build! 

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Just read the whole 14 pages and Wow, great commitment and hardwork mate.. And as for your car not worth being saved, that is laughable, mine is a lot worse than yours was and has been with the welder for 2weeks :o  already. I am hopefully getting it back next week and then the hard work begins for me..
Look forward to seeing future post on this thread…

Smiggy..

Back to the top

gavsmiggy said

Just read the whole 14 pages and Wow, great commitment and hardwork mate.. And as for your car not worth being saved, that is laughable, mine is a lot worse than yours was and has been with the welder for 2weeks :o  already. I am hopefully getting it back next week and then the hard work begins for me..
Look forward to seeing future post on this thread…

Smiggy..

Cheers bud, bit of a long read, cheers for taking a look! It does have it's faults but have gone to see a lot of shells in the last year and not found one that as good as mine, so i'm glad I stuck with it! Just waiting for a bit of action at the paintshop now!

You got a build thread of yours?

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Just been told the welder has finished with mine and am researching some suspension for it atm, guy in the workshop is gonna undersell it all then hand it back to me.. No build thread yet though..

Back to the top

gavsmiggy said

Just been told the welder has finished with mine and am researching some suspension for it atm, guy in the workshop is gonna undersell it all then hand it back to me.. No build thread yet though..

Best you start a build thread then!  :lol:  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
There are too many online users to list.