Skip navigation

'83 Golf - (non)BBS Bodykit - Resto Project - (02/01/22)

Back to the top

'83 Golf - (non)BBS Bodykit - Resto Project

Cheers, guys, would never consider giving up now lol, going to go and get a rust and paint remover disc for my grinder tomorrow so should hopefully start making some progress ont the paint remove.

I shall not be defeated! lol

Wanted: Front Bumper, DESPERATELY NEED A DRIVERS WING!

MY Build Thread

My Facebook Build Page #Project83

Back to the top

Pretty much finished what I can realistically do with the tools, and time that I have available. Blew up a DA sander last week and blew up my angle grinder today so it's off to the media blasters for the inside and then the rest of the prep will be left to the pro's!

Managed to get the rest of the paint off the passenger door and then made a start on the inside floor. And the good news is.. no nasty rusty holes lurking underneath.. Success!

Any idea how I can clean the sticky stuff off that's been left after removing the sound deadening? Tried a heat gun and wire wool but this just smudges it everywhere lol

Nice little pile of crud left over!

And the last pictures of the outside before it goes off to the media blasters….. I promise!

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Good news you found no rust, seems fairly common on the floor plates  :thumbs:

Thought heat would get the sticky stuff off. Blasting it definitely will  :lol:

Matt

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Good news you found no rust, seems fairly common on the floor plates  :thumbs:

Thought heat would get the sticky stuff off. Blasting it definitely will  :lol:

Matt

I've got most of it up using the heat gun now but theres still a thin film of it, it's like I need to get something to wipe up the last bits..

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
I used a wire wheel( a few actually) on on a drill for the residue left over on the floor.

Looking good Alfie. :thumbs:

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Looking good Alfie. :thumbs:

Cheers bud.

Ended up getting some gun cleaner from my mates shop. 5L for a few quid! Apart from almost killing myself with the fumes, manged to get a fair bit off.. Still some way to go though lol!

Gave that a rest today and dropped it off to the media blasters, to be honest theres not much to blast, but still, got the inner and outer sills, window frames, boot area etc, so shouldn't cost too much but will give the car a much better finish in the end!

Managed to get to the blasters without getting the car wet too.. very risky business trilaering a half bare metal car in this weather lol  O_o

Sat in the blast room ready for me to go in on Monday and have a chat about what needs doing…

Progres….. :lol:

Last edit: by alfie

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Great build bet you can not wait to get it back on the road tho can not beat driving something you have built back to its glory :)

Back to the top

Studder11 said

Great build bet you can not wait to get it back on the road tho can not beat driving something you have built back to its glory :)

Cheers, it's gonna be a long old process but when it's done I'll be over the moon, too scared to drive it.. but still, over the moon lol

MY Build Thread

Back to the top

Bit more news on the progress to date…I got thae car back from the blasters without getting any work done! Turns out that the amount of work they could do for the money I had was nothing like I expected, essentially the cost doubled and the work halved and I couln't warrant 6 hours at £120/h when I could do it myslef…

So I took another day off work to do some more work on the car myself today. Although I didn't get as much done as I thought I would I managed to do the following:

Finished sanding the doors down, used some Bilthamber Deox Gell to remove any light surface rust that may have come up since I last worked on the car (serves me right for not priming as I go!). The Deox Gell is amazing and actually works, removed every single speck of surface rust and left me with  a super smooth and totally clean surface to work with. Got a thin coat of etch primer on to keep it sweet before the bodyshop. (ignore the small black bits of paint on the pic below.. these have now gone lol)

Also managed to sand down the door shut on one side, this is what took the most time and was a real pain in the ass after my grinder an sander both blew earlier this month! I've managed to do the whole door shut all the way round by hand, but couldn't really get a pic of the finished article before I primed it.

Next up will be the other door shut, sanding the final bits on the lower quarters and then onto the inside… maybe..

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
this is a really nice project, a lot of hard work gone into it!  going to be a stunner when its done!  i found thinners worked on the floors but that gun cleaner looks to have done a good job.

keep up the good work :)

Back to the top
Looks like some hard graft has gone in here, good job  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top

evileye said

this is a really nice project, a lot of hard work gone into it!  going to be a stunner when its done!  i found thinners worked on the floors but that gun cleaner looks to have done a good job.

keep up the good work :)

Cheers bud, aiming for it to be a real head turner but that's a long way off yet lol.

pazwaa said

Looks like some hard graft has gone in here, good job  :thumbs:

Matt

More than you will ever know lol..  :'(  but i'm a true believer that if you can, it's better to do the work yourself, even if it takes 10x longer lol!

Managed to spend another few evening on the car when the wife went to stay with relatives earlier this week.

Drivers side door in primer:

More work done to get the drivers side door down to metal:

Then after a degrease, into primer:

Same with the passenger side:

Just need to finish the front parts now:

Onwards and upwards!!

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
The primed sections look great already, keep it up  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Nice 1 Alfie, I'm loving your perseverance, it's paying off now mate. Like Matt say's, those primed sections are spot on!

Keep it up mate,

Andy.

Back to the top

Gavh said

Alfie said

Bit of inspiration to keep me going :D
Made my day to see this!

+1 Made my day too. Vagas is South African! Love the build. Awesome Project.

Current Ride: VW Citi Sport 1.4i 2009
(link: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=projects%2Fyour-mk1-golfs_2%2Fvw-golf-mk1-citi-golf )
Previous Rides:
VW Golf mk5 2.0
VW Jetta mk2 2.0I 8V MP9, Wildcat Exhaust System, Dictator Engine Management.
VW Jetta mk2 2.0 Carb, Cowley Exhaust System.
Opel Kadet 2.0GSI Superboss.

Back to the top

pazwaa said

The primed sections look great already, keep it up  :thumbs:

Matt

Melteddrummer said

Nice 1 Alfie, I'm loving your perseverance, it's paying off now mate. Like Matt say's, those primed sections are spot on!

Keep it up mate,

Andy.

Cheers guys, really not sure how i've still got any love for this car left lol, but I do enjoy working on it.. Just wish I had more time! The primed sections round the door are the best bits lol, so smooth and clean.. :D

Koosie101 said

Gavh said

Alfie said

Bit of inspiration to keep me going :D
Made my day to see this!

+1 Made my day too. Vagas is South African! Love the build. Awesome Project.

My dad actually had the pic of the 3D golf put onto my Birthday card for me :) Cheers for the comments too, i'm not feeling the awesomeness just yet, but I'm sure it will be once it's done :D

Anywhoooooooooo… MORE Pictures :D :D Not had much chance to work on it over the last month but made some proggress…

Drivers side sill look reasonably good, think it's only surface rust need a bit more work though tho be sure..

Final work on the A piller door sections…

Bit more work to be done on the top of the scuttle/window area, but looks really clean….

Did find a few bits of the old 'orrible stuff…. If anyone has any tips on the best way to tackle this that would be great. (I have some deox gel to put on it, which will remove most of the rust.. then a good wire wheel.. not sure after that)

So that's it.. Once i've finished the front windscreen panel, it'll be booking it into the body shopy time (and yes I know i've said this on at least 5 occaisions before lol), but it really does seem like I can see begining of the end now, as far as sanding goes…

Cheers for looking people

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
It's a gamble really - commenting on the last pic on FB page. Clean as best you can and rust cure then rust preventative and paint. Only other choice is separating it all which could get messy!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Quick update.. Nothing major .. As usual lol

Not thought much more about the back panel yet..

Did A bit of work on the rust area at bottom of the A pillar (10 minutes or so when the Mrs wasn't looking!!):

BEFORE:

MIDDLE:

Added some Deox Gel to remove some of the rust (will need to add a second coat soon):

AFTER (so far):

Most of the brown is just sludge left over from the deox gell, so I'll need to get a cotton bud or something in there to clean it up with some thinners or something.. then maybe a dremmel with the worlds smallest wire wheel…

Also did some more work on the window/scuttle area, all the paint off and a lick of primer….

That it folks! :D :D

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Another step forward  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Well quick update, and this time I promise the last one before paint (i've spoken to the Painter to book it in, no date yet though…)

Went round the car and re-sanded all the etch off and re-primed ready for the paint shop to take it on and created a small site to show the body shop how the car currently stands:

http://dev.pixelhorizon.co.uk/golf/ - seems to work quite well, as most of the guys can't actually see the car.

Anyway, here are finals pics of how the car stands now :D

Would love to hear your feedback, going to be an EXPENSIVE trip to the bodyshop but hopefully it will be worth it..

Cheers

Alfie

Last edit: by alfie

MY Build Thread

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.