Skip navigation

'83 Golf - (non)BBS Bodykit - Resto Project - (02/01/22)

Back to the top

'83 Golf - (non)BBS Bodykit - Resto Project

Many congratulations on the new arrival mate. Hope you're sleeping isn't to bad :lol:

Nice work on the MK1.

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Congrats on the baby!  :cool:

Nice work on the bay ;)

smudger said

Many congratulations on the new arrival mate. Hope you're sleeping isn't to bad :lol:

Nice work on the MK1.

Cheers Guys,

Really enjoying being a new dad, there's been no rocking backwards and forwards in the corner or anything!!  :lol:

Just checked back on this topic, only to see that i'ts been relegated to page 3 lol. Obviously slacking!!

The odd thing is, I'ts not my son that's stopping me from working on the car (At the moment all he seems to do is sleep most of the time so plenty of opportunities to work on the car still)….apparently not lol…. I'ts been the family members, friends and random people stopping by on a daily bases to come and visit him lol. Which is nice, does make you feel proud…. But i've got a car to build people lol :D :D… I managed to removed about an Inch square of paint the other day before my in-laws turned up!

I was able to pick up a new roof last week from Birmigham and have organised a potentially better looking roof near Milton Keynes from ant5 on here, which I'll be picking up soon once it''s been cut off the car.

Hopefuly when everyone has calmed down and he's getting a few less visitors, I should be able to crack on..

Cheers!

Wanted: Front Bumper, DESPERATELY NEED A DRIVERS WING!

MY Build Thread

My Facebook Build Page #Project83

Back to the top
I know what you mean. I recall some (many!) years back when my kids were born you get to a point when you just want every one to leave you alone - in a nice way - but just to get some peace back!  :lol:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

I know what you mean. I recall some (many!) years back when my kids were born you get to a point when you just want every one to leave you alone - in a nice way - but just to get some peace back!  :lol:
Well after all the riff raff left mine on Sunday (7pm) I went out to do some more work on the bay (scuttle area) but didn't get very far lol. the wiring loom for the Toad alarm was fed through a small hole in the bulkhead, the hole is obviously too small for the large connector on the end to fit through! So I had 3 choices, leave it, cut the end off and re-wire it later, or remove the alarm completely.

I remembered back to when the car was being painted and I was unable to remove the wiring loom fully so I ended up with this mess:

Well after a further look last night, it turns out that the alarm was fitted in such a way that no matter how much I tried to un-tangle the wiring by the fuse box, it remained a total mess. Wiries looped around other wires and spliced in with no excess wire. The upshot is that it was like a huge tangled ball of mess and I ended up removing my nice £300 cat1 thatcham approved alarm system.

It was fairly easy to find all the wires as most were just joined in a T piece joint (soldered) so the alarm wire could just be removed and some shrink wrap put over the join.

Some of the wires were cut short at the fuse box and at the ignition and the alarm wire inserted in the middle so I'll have to go get some more wire to join each end up, to make it a complete piece, no biggy!

Hopefully some of that makes sense lol

Chance are I'll just buy or make a new loom anyway lol.

Also found some engine build pics, turns out that using the car for a total of 5 days in 3 years isn't great for an engine, sorry for my mates dogy phone pics, i'd not got my camera that day! :DBEFORE:

MIDDLE:

and a crapper AFTER picture (more to come when I start to dress the engine with all my nice new bolts and powder coated parts!

More to follow I'm sure

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Looks much better mate. Coming along nicely :)

Back to the top
Spent 5 hours on the golf today, Yay lol!

Noticed that the wings had already started to crack and show signs of rust… just as well I'm re-doing it.

So started the ardiuos task of striping the main panels back (wing, bonnet, doors etc). This is my progress so far:

Nice bit of filler in the wing!

unbelievably the blue on this wing was put on by me using no primer and rattle can! I said to the bodyshop, that'll need to come off as I've just sprayed it over quickly with a rattle can and there will be all sorts under that… Well turns out they didn't bother!

Lot of people have been asking why I'm going down to bear metal, wasn't long before I had my answer….

Bit of bonnet action… and not much prep work here either, nice shiny paintwork!

And as far as the passenger door, I haven't got a f**kin clue what's going on here!!

Although it does look reasonably straight under all the shiz, I'm on the lookout for a spare door just encase!

Luckily, no such trouble with the driver door,

Some more bonnet work, top coat came off a treat, original paint is a tough old nugget to crack though so will look at that another time,

Wings coming along nicely, still much work to do,

And as it stands so far… long way to go. but nearing closer to paint shop time again!

Cheers for looking!

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
thats just heart breaking, to think that some who calls themselves professionals would do work like that. Its terrible, great effort on getting that much striped of so far, at least now youl have peace of mind. Keep it up!  :thumbs:

Back to the top
That looks more like wall paper than paint, at least you've gotten it all off and you can see what's underneath. Nice work man!! :cool:

Back to the top
wow thats a lot of paint!

keep up the work bud

Back to the top
That paint job is truly shocking O_o, but you are doing a great job of stripping it back. Onwards and upwards :thumbs:

Back to the top
Wow, how much paint !!! :o:o

Back to the top

virus-zn said

thats just heart breaking, to think that some who calls themselves professionals would do work like that. Its terrible, great effort on getting that much striped of so far, at least now youl have peace of mind. Keep it up!  :thumbs:

Jimievo said

That paint job is truly shocking O_o, but you are doing a great job of stripping it back. Onwards and upwards :thumbs:

I know, tell me about it! The crazy thing is, that now I'm going back to metal, I can see whats under the previous spray job. Surprisingly the blue coat (the paint that was on the car when I bought it) looked sweet as a nut, really shined, but I did always think it did look a little thick.. and now I know why lol

browner01 said

wow thats a lot of paint!

Lol yeah, too much, most of that is down to the crazy amounts of filler primer. Seems to be just that door, we will see when I get to the rear quarters tho I guess lol!

browner01 said

keep up the work bud

Melteddrummer said

That looks more like wall paper than paint, at least you've gotten it all off and you can see what's underneath. Nice work man!! :cool:

Cheers, not quite as much progress as I'd hoped for the Sunday afternoon but that double helping of 2k paint is a b1tch!

I'd like to get it stripped next weekend, but I doubt it'll be that easy… It'll look nice when it's done:

Thinking I could rock this look:

Last edit: by alfie

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Roads……Where we're going we don't need roads.  :cool:  :cool:  :cool:  :cool:  :cool:

Back to the top
Roads….The rate my cars progressing, I won't need roads!

:lol:

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
 :lol:  :lol:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Took the day off work today to do some work on the Golf and made litterally "some" progress.

Started working on the rear of the car, I know I've not finished the doors/wings etc but i'm just getting everything back as far as I can to see what i'm up against lol

Removed all the old paint from the passenger rear quarter, looks in pretty good shape!

Bit more work on the door, nothing major but was able to remove most of the filler and filler primer

Started removing the paint from the drivers rear quarter and found a nice dent (just at the top corner where the rear quarter meets the door), bit hard to see in the pic, faily easy to sort though but still a bit annoying..

Started to strip the paint and filler from the arches, not sure why the arches had so much filler when the welding was so neat, but as with everything on this paintjob.. it's turned out to be total shiz!

And to my ABOSULTE SHOCK, my brand new arches… COVERED IN SURACE RUST!!!! AFTER ONLY A FEW MONTHS!! WTH!!!! UNBELEIVABLE!!!!

Just as well I decided to re-do the paint, otherwise this surface rust would have ended in my arch needing doing again! GRRRRRRRRRR :P

The rear of the arch was also pretty syraight originally (no dents etc)… so again why all the filler FFS!

Uncovered a NEW dent that was DEFINITELY not there before it went to the "bodyshop"!  :P definitelly

Also got a bit of etch primer down in the engine bay

And finally the aftermath left on my drive!

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Wow, looks like youve been proper busy dude, Great work though. Ive not long stripped my bay down but i used one of these on an angle grinder

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/380592134858?var=gv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=65

Back to the top
Small update!! Not much movement but hopefully have the car booked in soon (famous last words)…

Continued on my archaeological dig for shiny metal, the area of choice this time being the rear panel and and rear section of the arches (the main reaon for getting the work done!)

So started stripping of the filler and heard a crunch noise, now usually this mean I've hit soft metal…. BINGO!

Turns out that filler IS a replacement for good old fashioned metal work!!

Here is a before and after :

BEFORE:

MIDDLE, which looks lovelly!!:

AFTER

The other side is not bad but still not 100%

Bit more filler

As the car stands now!!! Seems like, although I'm finding bad repairs.. the stripping is nearly done (except the inside  :P  :'( )

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Every little bit helps mate. Coming along now. Hope you don't find too many more gremlins along the way :)

Smudger
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.