Skip navigation

'83 Golf - (non)BBS Bodykit - Resto Project - (02/01/22)

Back to the top

'83 Golf - (non)BBS Bodykit - Resto Project

golf1980 said

i'll bet you cant wait to get it back and start putting it all together. I'm looking forward to see this being driven about on a nice sunny day  :)
Sooooo cannot wait!!! Been a long time coming..

Still chugging along, few more piccys, just to keep the thread going for anyone who's watching…

Some of the parts halfway through prepping for paint (before I decided to get them powder coated)

Then everything ready for powder coating (not the water pump, got bored of cleaning that so bought a new one!)

Some new parts:

And a few parts that I had already prepped and painted before sending the rest for powder coating, there is a bit of pitting on these but until I can find some proper metal replacement i'll stick with these as they are genuine VW and I don't want to use the cheap plastic replacement ones.

I have decided that although the engine ran sweet as a nut before it came off the road, I will be replacing the head gasket and cam belt just to be sure. I was going to do the head gasket myself (as I have tried to do with most of the build) but a mate of a mate who owns a garage said if I can knock him up a quick website for his garage he will do it for me. So decided the for peace of mind that it would be better or him to do it at this stage.

And finally……..I know I wasn't going to give out any of the car in paint yet, but got this from the paintshop yesterday and getting a bit excited..

Any comments welcome…

Alfie

Wanted: Front Bumper, DESPERATELY NEED A DRIVERS WING!

MY Build Thread

My Facebook Build Page #Project83

Back to the top
Going grey huh! Well get the interior trim and wheels right and grey can look the danglies IMO  :cool:

Look forward to seeing more

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Going grey huh! Well get the interior trim and wheels right and grey can look the danglies IMO  :cool: 

Look forward to seeing more

Cheers, seats are going to be the black and red leather ones so should work well, also got bbs rms so hopefully it'll all come together nicely :D 

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Looking forward to seeing that together then  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Looking forward to seeing that together then  :cool:

Same as that  :thumbs:

"Mk1 Golf Gti...all things to all men"

Back to the top
That grey look awesome, come on let's see some more shots, tis is the business

Back to the top

bouchay said

That grey look awesome, come on let's see some more shots, tis is the business
Cheers mate, bit of a marmite colour but hopefully people apreciate the work i've put into it.

Car is now ready to collect, but the trailer is currently snowed in so can't collect it until next week!! :(Few more pics though hust to keep you guys up to speed :D

New Gates cam belt kit

Spent 2 hours one night trawling vagcat.com for hex and allen key bolts for the engine, making note of length and size (m6/8/10 etc etc), then another hour ordering bags of stainless steel ones of each type, well chuffed with the finish, and will tidy up the engine a treat.

New engine mount

Aaaand I picked up the parts I dropped off last week from the poweder coaters, really impressed with the finish, and only set me back £50!! Fekn bargain.

And a very quick peak of the car I get sent by the painter the other day (excuse the pics, think hes using an iphone 3)

More to come :D

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Hi all,

The car is back from the painters! Few bits I need to get looked at still as I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so it will be going back in a week or so, but otherwise happy to have it back!

Managed to get the wiring loom back into the car today, secured the dash loom, engine loom and the rest of the loom to the back of the car and fitted the heat matrix inside the car…

Also managed to get the carpet in, fit the rear seats and fir the inner and outer door handles.

The wring will come back out for a full tuck and cover with new loom parts and new shrink wrap coating but for now I just need it up and running..

Need to get a spanner to lower the coilovers a bit (a lot!) but otherwise let the build begin!!

Last edit: by alfie

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Great build thread mate. Good to see her all coming together. Good luck.

Back to the top
Cheers, now that it's back under my control I'll be on it like a errm "car bonnet" so to speak! Needs to be ready by easter weekend as it's booked to go to Germany!

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
What colour is it mate 

Back to the top
work looks spot on mate gonna look the nuts when its done, how did you go about doing the roof? itching to get torn into mine just unsure which way to tackle it

Back to the top

J1M said

work looks spot on mate gonna look the nuts when its done, how did you go about doing the roof? itching to get torn into mine just unsure which way to tackle it

Cheers for the kind word fella, pm'd about the roof

Alfie

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
not recieved it mate, if you could email it to jim-duncan-pars @ hotmail.com you would be an absolute legend, cheers

Back to the top
Champion mate,bet your glad to have her back on home turf!Colours good mate bet you are busting a gut to get building now!

Back to the top

J1M said

not recieved it mate, if you could email it to jim-duncan-pars @ hotmail.com you would be an absolute legend, cheers

Will have to re-type it up tomorrow, no record of it on here anywhere!

utterly-dubberly said

Champion mate,bet your glad to have her back on home turf!Colours good mate bet you are busting a gut to get building now!

Cheers, after 24 weeks im litterally bursting to get it built, supposed to be taking it to Germany on the 31st March but whilst the welding work is spot on, i'm not as happy with the paint as I had hoped, so can't even look at putting it back together till it been of to another sprayer to be re-painted!

MY Build Thread

Back to the top

Alfie said

J1M said

utterly-dubberly said

Cheers, after 24 weeks im litterally bursting to get it built, supposed to be taking it to Germany on the 31st March but whilst the welding work is spot on, i'm not as happy with the paint as I had hoped, so can't even look at putting it back together till it been of to another sprayer to be re-painted!

WTH!!!!! whats wrong with it?Lots of things can be sorted with a nice flat and polish mate.You sure it needs a full re paint?Gutted for you bro good painters are at a premium these days saaad times!

Back to the top

utterly-dubberly said

Alfie said

J1M said

utterly-dubberly said

WTH!!!!! whats wrong with it?Lots of things can be sorted with a nice flat and polish mate.You sure it needs a full re paint?Gutted for you bro good painters are at a premium these days saaad times!

Mine was at paint for 8 months lol

Back to the top

utterly-dubberly said

Where the glue for the door rubbers are on the back of the door (B pillers), inside the windscreen, and inside the A pillars have dirt under the paint.

The boot catch areas, the tops of the light fitting areas on the back and the various areas of the paint are flat… Otherwise it's fairly good, can't fault the welding and the larger areas, main areas of the doors, quarters, bonnet and roof are pretty spot on, just the small detail areas really! Not sure I can really live with it like that though so it'll probably get a full rub down and painted from scratch! Can't have a golf thats as solid as a rock let down by it's paintwork!

Last edit: by alfie

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Watching this...

There are too many online users to list.