Skip navigation

New Owner from California

Back to the top

Found a 1982 rabbit convertible with 60k miles and couldn't pass it up

Hey folks!

Greetings from the Bay Area in California. I recently purchased a 1982 Rabbit Convertible that only has 60k miles on it, and I'm excited to get it back on the road! I felt a little silly buying a non-working car considering the state of my daily driver (can be seen in the background of the last picture- an old minivan with no rear bumper) but as I'm sure you can all relate to I just couldn't pass it up. 

It had been sitting in a garage since 2002 and needed a lot of work despite the low mileage. The previous owner was really shady and completely ruined the electrical system somehow. I have almost all of this working again and I've also replaced the door handles, tires, speedo cable, timing belt, and a few other small things. The good news is that it has good compression (150 each I believe) and not a speck of rust to be found. Paid $5k for it and I'm well over 10 now with the new fuel system, parts, and towing it around. 

I've redone the whole fuel system: new tank (was rusted) new filter & pump, rebuilt distributor, and new injectors. I had a local shop do most of that as I don't have things like an exhaust gas analyzer, but they didn't do a great job (still idles really rough) so I'll probably be doing more myself coming up.

It currently runs well except for a few issues. Known fixes:

- Leaky waterpump (new one coming today)
- Alternator doesn't charge (new one also coming today)
- Valve cover leaking oil (single-piece rubber gasket just arrived)

And finally, the unknown fixes that I'm sure you'll see posts about after I take a crack at them:

- Very high oil pressure (6-7 bar on startup, revs to over 10 bar! Doesn't get below 4-5 when hot. This is with new 20W50 oil and new Wix filter. Probably just gummed up from sitting for 20 years so I'm hoping the new oil will help un-block passages if I let it run for a while)
- Runs a little hot (could be poor waterpump performance, and I have yet to do a coolant system flush so it's possible it just has 20 years of gunk in it)
- Tachometer doesn't work (I grabbed an oscilloscope from work, going to check out the ignition coil output next. As a side note, if anyone knows the voltage level/pulse width these put out, an easier way to check the tach would be with a function generator but I don't want to guess and fry it!)
- High vibrations at idle (motor mounts are original, maybe replacing these will help, but also with the tach broken I can't verify the idle is even set correctly)

Thanks for reading and any input is appreciated!

Back to the top
Welcome  :thumbs:  get some pics up for us all please

82 golf cabrio (long term project)
83 golf driver (now a gti)
87 mk1 caddy
2004 landrover defender
2014 landrover defender 

Back to the top
Thank you! Whoops let me try again: IMG_1608.jpg IMG_1609.jpg IMG_1610.jpg IMG_1611.jpg

Back to the top
That looks extremely tidy  :thumbs:  and at least you have the weather to put the top down unlike over here.

82 golf cabrio (long term project)
83 golf driver (now a gti)
87 mk1 caddy
2004 landrover defender
2014 landrover defender 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.