Skip navigation

Hello!

Back to the top
Hi everyone,

I thought I'd introduce myself as I'm now officially a Mk1 owner. I've been into VAG's for the past 12 years (started in a Mk2 Ibiza GTI and I've had various Golfs, Ibizas, Skodas etc…along the way). However, I've just purchased one car I've wanted since I was a lot younger, a Mk1 GTI. It's in need of a bit of TLC but I'm over the moon as I was after a new project. My brother found it at a farm he was working at and asked a few questions only for it to be mine a few days later.

It's a 1982 tin top and was taken off the road 11 years ago for a bit of light restoration. The previous owner had stripped the interior, alloys, lights etc…and that's about as far as he got. And here it is:

He had it dry stored for 10 years but sadly left it outside for the past year. On first inspection I can see it's got a bit of rot on the rear arches, one sill, by the sunroof and the wings but I'm sure I'll find more once I start stripping it down. He was into his tuning so apparently it's got a Stage 1 head on it, although the engine will be rebuilt.

I've got a few parts to source and I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions along the way!

Thanks for reading.

Martin

Back to the top
Hi Martin, welcome to the forum - looks like a bit more than TLC is needed!  but good to see another MK1 being rescued.  Good luck with the project and keep us informed with a project thread.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top

RichardHall said

Hi Martin, welcome to the forum - looks like a bit more than TLC is needed!  but good to see another MK1 being rescued.  Good luck with the project and keep us informed with a project thread.

Thanks! It looks worse than it actually is due to the faded panels. I'm hoping a good machine polish should bring it is a bit better!
I'll get a thread started as soon as I start making a bit of progress.

Back to the top
Welcome aboard,

Nice to see another one being saved, hopefully be a great motor once you've worked your magic on it.

\cheers

Chortle

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top

chortle said

Welcome aboard,

Nice to see another one being saved, hopefully be a great motor once you've worked your magic on it.

\cheers

Chortle

Thanks, Chortle. I'm already on the hunt for panels and parts and am looking forward to getting stuck in. The car is getting picked up on Friday so I'm sure I'll get cracking with it straight away.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.