Skip navigation

Hi just joined.

Back to the top
Hi
I just decided to join this club, I currently own a cabby and trying to sell it.
I also have a Beetle and a Polo. Have owned Golfs and Polo's mainly mk2 Golfs. So who knows what dubs I will have in the future after I have sold this mk1.

Back to the top
Just wondering if MK1 cabriolets are difficult to sell. As I have put mine on Ebay twice now and no luck!
I have had up to 28 people watching it and around 1000 page views but no bids!.
What is the right price to advertise it at?
Mine is a 1989 1.8 carburettor with the big bumpers colour is grey but it kind of looks slightly blue to me.
Its not in mint condition but not a rust bucket either.
I had it up as a buy it now for £1950 then reduced it to £1750 start price of £1500.
I am also thinking of putting it in the cars for sale part in this forum. I may have to pay £5 to do so as new member.
Any feed back would be most appreciated.

Back to the top
Welcome along to the forum.

Have you got a link to the ad so we can have a look any maybe offer some advice.

I think you need a certain number of points to advertise on here or pay a fiver.

Smudger

Back to the top

Back to the top
Ok, for what it's worth here are my thoughts…..

1) Only one pic of the car is shown in the ad (I could only see one) Pics help to sell cars. I think eBay let you add 12 for nothing anyway so it's a no brainer. Take them of all angles of the car and interior and consider with the roof down too.

2) Some good info on the car but the lay out isn't great. It seems to be all bunched together.  Spread it out a bit and make the font bigger so people can read it. Split it into sections with an introduction at the beginning about the car with things like how long you have owned it and why you are selling.

I have given you some points so you should be able to advertise it on here in the cars for sale section as of now. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Hope this helps

Smudger

Back to the top
Maybe as the bidding has ended on this car is why you can only see one photo. But I did put up more than that.
I had photo of front and back and side with roof up and front and back with roof down and about 3 photos of the interior.

I may try a different lay out of the add. I did mention that reason for selling was due to just needing the money as I also have a classic bug that I have spent a lot on so far and wish to spend even more money on. Also I brought a cheap Polo for every day use.
It just too much having 3 cars 2 of which being classic cars. Think at this moment in time I only want one classic and one cheap daily car.

Back to the top
I can see all the photos on eBay, thre is a good selection.  I think that they may look better if taken out in an open space rather than on the drive, with nothing to distract the eye from the car.

What is the paint like under the 'bra' on the bonnet?  Could indicate a really careful owner who wants to protect from stone chips or hiding rust and damage.

You say that it's 25 yrs old and not a perfect show car, they rarely exist, so no need to sound negative, plus early on you talk about that you want positive bidders exec, again sounds like you are expecting issues.  Leave these bits to the end and focus on the car. If it's pretty solid underneath then say so etc.

Do you have the original rear lights as the clear ones are a bit if an aquired taste. Likewise do you have the original wheels?  Anything modified with non VAG accessories could limit your market a little.

Overall the car looks very tidy for the price you were looking for, a few tweaks on the presentation might help.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
I can see all 12 pictures;

Heres what i think of advert

"the previous owner told me that he had done a top end engine rebuild at 150,000 miles he stated to me that this Engine should be good for anther 150,000 more miles."
This is just hearsay, whenever i see a high milage car with that in the listing I think its just a way to take focus of the mileage. HAve you got paperwork to prove?

"The roof is in very good condition and works how it should with putting it down and back up again!"
In the picture of the roof down from behind it doesnt looked folded all the way down/locked in place - it might just be a dodgy angle

The rear lights:
In my opinion they are horrible. It might be worth spending £30/£40 and putting some second hand standard cabby lights on.

Bonnet Bra:
Take it off…. is it hiding loads of chips/marks/rust?

The wheels:
If you got some standard VW 4x100 wheels it may be worth putting them on the car. Fox racing alloys are a bit 90's/00's

There is no mention of the fuel filler neck, has it been replaced, is it good ocndition?

Although you have put up a few pics, they arent the best, do you know someone with an expensive camera? Get the car polished one morning, ake it out for a drive and get some nice ics of it somewhere
Also include one of the engine

Hope that helps :)

Scott

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top
Was typing at the same time as RichardHall and we pretty much came to same conclusion ;)

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top
Have now relisted it and changed the right up of it.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.