Skip navigation

Hi

Back to the top
Hi all, new to the forum and new to Mk1 ownership. Actually I haven't even got one yet! Been a fan for as long as I can remember but now finally ready to take the plunge. I'm after a convertible (although would like one of each, but one at a time for now!) but unsure whether I should look for a clipper or a GTI. From doing some research I think a GTI would suit me better as I would like the potential to do an engine conversion in the future and as far as I understand it a GTI is a better starting block from this. I may be totally wrong though as my mechanical knowledge is pretty much useless! Any advice or pointers would be most helpful. Thanks!

Back to the top
Hi and welcome to the club !

Good luck with your search, it is a good time of year to get a cabby, the warmer it gets the more the price goes up :-)

I personally prefer the fuel injection over a carb. As for engine conversion it really depends on whether it will be on carbs or fuel injection.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Hi, thanks for the welcome.

Yes definitely looking forward to getting out on the road! I'm keen to get one as quickly as possible as I guess the price goes up inline with the weather?! I'm yet to drive one yet so maybe you can help me - is there much real world difference between the clipper and GTI in terms of how they drive?

Back to the top
If you're comparing Clipper with Cabriolet GTI then you'll not notice much difference. I do still prefer the GTI though ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
….oh and welcome by the way! Keep us updated on your search  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Welcome to the Club first of all.  :thumbs:

I know I'm going to get slatted for this but what the heck!
If you were buying a tin top then yes a GTI does make some difference when it comes to top end speed and looks.

But you're looking at buying a convertible! 
Hello, who the hell drives a Cabby flat out, to the limit? 

You pay through the nose for the GTI, a lot more on insurance and for what? 
A handful of bhp. 

My engine has the 98bhp lump in it, so 17bhp down on the GTI and I don't miss the one little bit, oh and I do like to push my car from time to time. 

Don't forget the Clipper will cost you less into the bargain!  :thumbs:

That and your more likely to pick up a nice Clipper rather than a GTI that has been driven hard. ;)

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Thanks for the welcome all. Some really good advice there, exactly what I was looking for. I'll start a thread when I've finally bought my car!

Great site btw!

Back to the top
Welcome Derek,,

They are both good cars so it's up to you. I prefer a GTI, but that's just me. There's other things to consider on a cabby too. So have a look at the cabriolet buying guide on here and do research before hand. There's been some good buy's about recently, so it depends on your ability and pocket to get what you want. Sounds like you got a few ideas already lol.

cheers

chortle

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Hi Chortle, thanks for the welcome. I'll be sure to check that guide out. It looks really comprehensive so should help me avoid some problems!

Been looking for a little while now and have found a few potential cars that I would like to go and look at, the only problem is I can't find too much within budget locally. Hey ho, the search continues!

Back to the top
It's worth waiting.
I got mine off Ebay odd really as it had sold and the winner didn't pay. So it was re-listed, I went down to look with a view to buy. It had all ready got bids on it when I got there. But I did a deal and he didn't pull the ad off E Bay either. Let's say I got it a lot less than the new winning bid on E bay though.
If your planning on doing your own thing have thought about just buying a shell, that way it's a blank canvass for you engine wise. there was a complete shell on Facebook the other day in Paprika Red looked in good condition. Had most off what you need with it too.
Just a thought.
cheers

Chortle

Back to the top
I think buying a shell and building it up from there may be a bit adventurous to start with but not a bad shout for future projects. I keep going on the instagram page and thinking I need about 10 Golfs haha!

I thought I had found one recently but was too slow and I missed it by a couple of days. Gutted is an understatement. Nevermind, I'll keep on looking and am convincing myself 'the one' is out there somewhere!!

Back to the top
The only limits are your pockets and dreams Bud.
Good luck with the search and have a nosey through the cars for sale ads on here too. Once you get your project start a new thread up in the your projects section that way we can follow your progress with plenty of pictures too.

Cheers

Chortle

Back to the top
The one I missed was on here, I slept on it for a few days then thought I'd go for it only for it to have been sold a couple of days previously!! My own fault really, never mind.

I shall definitely get a thread going when I've finally joined the club properly! Cheers for the advice Chortle ;)

Back to the top
Keep the Faith, something will turn up. Have you posted in cars wanted section? Just a thought whilst I'm here.

Back to the top
Yeah good shout. Got a couple of options to check out first then I'll put a thread up.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.