Skip navigation

Hello,

Back to the top

Just bought a 1987 GTi Clipper Karman Cabrio

Hello all

I recently aquired a what i think is a Mk1 Golf GTi Cabrio. I dont profess to know about Golf's to be honest, but i had in storage for someone in my barn. He left it for night on 3 years and i kept looking at it thinking, what a shame. This car was the mutts nutts in my era in the 80's. would of killed for one when i started driving. It was registered a day before my 16 th birthday. April 1987
I will more than likely get corrected about details of it, but i am prepaired to be educated. I am reasonably good with engines and love messing about with cars. But this is my first real stab at light restoration.
I am looking forward to starting it and am in process of getting a 2 post lift for my barn to make my life easier.
I have been looking for a workshop manual but don't seem to be able to get what i thought is the correct one, maybe someone on  here can put me staraight

Sorry to go on, just looking forward to hopefully cruising round in her next summer

Back to the top
Hi welcome along :)

Get some pics up! I think the manual you want is the red bentley one but it costs quite a bit. someone on here had a .pdf version

Scott

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top
Haynes do both a standard manual plus a restoration manual for a golf…..I've got both (well used and covered in grease oil) at home !!

Back to the top

arf333 said

Hi welcome along :)

Get some pics up! I think the manual you want is the red bentley one but it costs quite a bit. someone on here had a .pdf version

Scott

I 'Ditto" Scott here!
Welcome mate and try to get the Bentley manual, it's from a U.S Publisher.
It looks like this but don't pay this price!!!
http://www.amazon.de/Volkswagen-Cabriolet-Scirocco-Service-Manual/dp/0837616360/ref=sr_1_sc_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1381421153&sr=8-10-spell&keywords=bently+volkswagen

I got mine on amazon.de last year for 20 Euros (new) and the postage was FREE.
I still can't believe my luck.  :lol:  

Tip.
Start a new post in 'Projects'.
Tell the story you just told here and post up some of the first pictures you've got before you start work.
And from then on you'll have your very own rolling history of the car and how it develops over time!  :thumbs:

Just a thought.

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Welcome to the forum mate :)

Back to the top
welcome aboard, get some pics up and lets see this cabby

:thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
Thanks to all for comments. Where is the best place to search for original parts. Need a steering wheel for starters.
I am going to put pictures on, but not sure its a restoration job. Mainly engine work, the body is not bad, but would benefit some touching up. If i put before and after pics on, you would not know the difference :-)
Thanks again eveyone

Back to the top
Stroggie, apologies for not responding sooner, I've got the following two books which I find very helpful, both are Haynes manuals :

Restoration Manual - VW Golf ans Jetta
Service and Repair Manual, VW Golf & Jetta 1984 - 1992

As requested ISBN details :

ISBN 978 1 85960 448 9
ISBN 1 85960 282 7

Hope this helps

Back to the top
Because I am a Nerd.

All the Cabriolets sold world wide were manufactured by Karmman in Osnabruck Germany and not at the Wolfsburgh Plant.
Only the running gear and transmission was supplied by VW.
The Clipper was the base model usualy supplied with the Carbed engine. Whilst the GTI Cabriolet had the Injection engine.

Various special editions were made, such as limited production runs of the CC Christmas Cabriolet and not the Cocco Channel as people tend to state, All white and all black editions, One made for the tour sponsored I believe by VW of Genesis the rock group, so you have the Genesis model. The Quartette that had 4 base colour options that could be mixed and matched. Leading to the run out models at the end of production with the Late quartette, Sportline and Rivage models. The Later models had powered roofs, electric windows on some and the Rivage had a leather option interior with heated seats.

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Hello and welcome to the club.

Having read your initial introduction all I can say is you are missing one vital thing in owning a mk1. …………and that is our club membership !!!! I am more than happy to help you with this as you will see on the become a paid member link on the left hand side it will save you money and then more money !!! many original parts can be sourced from crazyquiff who are our official parts suppliers and they offer great discounts to the paid among us so on that note once again Hello and welcome to the club !

cheers Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Banner

Back to the top
Made my first mistake
Bought a steering wheel to get back to hopefully original.
Got the quick release one that was on it back off and thought i was on a winner. Until i realised the spline on new wheel was to big.
Bought it on word of seller that it was a Mk1, guess i need to research part numbers i suppose in future

Dipstick!!!

Back to the top
Yeah, you really have to be careful Scott!
I like many have come unstuck more than once.  :P

You really have to check your facts and if your not 100% sure, ask here!  :thumbs:

There's no better place on Earth.  ;)

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Hi hope your build is coming along well so far.
you posting pictures of the build do you prefer
carbio to tin top yourself?

Back to the top
I am basically after the correct steering wheel for my Cabrio. It has a small spline
If anyone would have at least a picture of original it would be a good starting point.
Thanks
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.