AlexHxC - out - seized engine

chudd - maybe - destroyed CVJ

coming in my 8V see you tomorrow

Cheers……..

Yay!

Back to the top
Not long now….

I've just done the final preparations for the car:

Fitted this little electronic module, will give me 0.1s advantage apparently….

All ready to go

Back to the top
Everybody…………….

If you are planning on going on the strip dont forget both parts of your driving licence   or you won't get a go!

1979 mk1 Golf Gti (Dan)
1983 mk1 Golf gti G60 (little-un)

1991 mk2 Golf Country Chrome Edition
2010 T5 Karmann Colorado

2012 mk6 Golf Tdi convertible
2019 Skoda Octavia Sport ( it’s Golf)

Back to the top
Anyone know if the jet car will be going up tomorrow?

Back to the top
iv had my tinternet cut off and haven been on hear for ages and just got on today and forgot about this show!!!! i woundered y i had a missed call off you paul

sorry people for letting you down

sorry agen

mk1 golf gti in porsche ocen blue and polished porsche 7slots

Back to the top
Was really poor weather, but a good day  :D

Back to the top
Whoa! What a weekend!

I've just got back, after very carefully driving home in the rain (on slicks). This was a great show, spoilt a little by the rain in the afternoon, but we kept our spirits up. Nice to meet a number of new members - sam_m scraping water off his car (constantly) and R11YSF (with the sticky flap) spring to mind, but I met a few others too and its always nice to put faces to names and catch up. Great idea Claire - to bring a white marker and write the forum user names on each car!

Here's some pics, apologies for the low quality/amount but they were taken on my phone, anyone who saw the inside of my car would have realised I was kinda running light, so a camera would have been far too bulky etc.

The strip, for a number of hours (rain)

I'll let dave_dub86/gammygolfgti come up with a caption here!

The club stand was in a very central area and we had loads of passers-by.

Mention must be made to dave_dub86, who broke his rear engine mount on the strip. Undeterred, he found one in the autojumble and fitted it, then did another run later in the day! Well done lad for determination!

Personally, I'm very happy with my times, I did 6 runs and won 6/6 (one of them was a single pass). Scalps claimed include a race prepared VW Beetle (with slicks), another 2.0 16V, another 2 litre Mk1 (also on slicks) (sorry didn't get further details) and a Seat something.

Here's my times:

14.21*

*This was a single pass, in the left hand lane. (All the other passes were in the right hand lane). This is the one I managed to do a stinking long burnout which catapaulted me at leat 100 yards down the track!

Well done and thanks to all those who attended and put their cars on display. Hopefully someone has loads of pics to share.

Back to the top
sounds like fun

i now have the new roof on my car which creates less drag so cant wait to get on the strip again good times paul

Back to the top
was there much track time lost?

Back to the top

wooders said

was there much track time lost?

A couple of hours.

Back to the top
Well after you got on the A14 Paul, DaveDub broke down, tried to flash you as you went down the slip road but didn't get you in time. It cut out with loss of electrics, so we bumped it an got it to run, then it cut out on the slip road, rang the RAC waited about 15 mins for them to arrive. In the meantime Nav from here and Oldskooldropouts stopped and came and see if he could help, Cheers Nav  :clap:  :clap: for trying. RAC arrived….diagnosis…..alternator shot big style. So a hand held battery was plugged on to the car, to give enough juice to run it 1/4 mile to the services, where we waited and had a drink, I left Dave at 6.30pm and got home and hour ago, Dave hopefully by now is sat in the passenger seat of a flatbed truck on his way home to N.Wales….photos later :dance:

Back to the top

GAMMYGOLFGTI said

Well after you got on the A14 Paul, DaveDub broke down, tried to flash you as you went down the slip road but didn't get you in time. It cut out with loss of electrics, so we bumped it an got it to run, then it cut out on the slip road, rang the RAC waited about 15 mins for them to arrive. In the meantime Nav from here and Oldskooldropouts stopped and came and see if he could help, Cheers Nav  :clap:  :clap: for trying. RAC arrived….diagnosis…..alternator shot big style. So a hand held battery was plugged on to the car, to give enough juice to run it 1/4 mile to the services, where we waited and had a drink, I left Dave at 6.30pm and got home and hour ago, Dave hopefully by now is sat in the passenger seat of a flatbed truck on his way home to N.Wales….photos later :dance:

Eek - nightmare scenario! I think it was raining at that point too, so didn't see the flashes. There's not a lot you can do with an alternator failure anyway, once he'd run out of electricity thats more/less it. I guess Dave didn't have the greatest of weekends, all in, then. At least he was in the RAC.

Back to the top
Poor Dave :tlc: Shame for that to happen after all the issues during the day.  But when she's running, boy, what a sound 8)

The man in action…..

Great turnout for the club with some fantastic cars and the first 16s i've seen in real life.

Banner

Back to the top
With the use of RAC equipment (non of us had a multimeter or power probe with us today  :) ) it was found the starter motor is fine….just no feed to the solenoid from the starting button  :wink:  and the alternator is shot. Which is why it died when it did….the wipers, sidelights and cabin heater fan combined sucked all the remaining power out the battery.

Back to the top
had an awesome day out, met up with alot of the guys and was just gd to put faces to names,
bought some chrome goodies cheap aswell so made my day :)

Back to the top
Some photos….

Back to the top

paul_c said

sam_m scraping water off his car (constantly)

hahah gotta keep her nice an clean =]

poor dave, didnt have a very lucky day did he, other than that it was a briliant day, gotta say thanks to every for makin me so welcome.
all my mates droped out last min cause it was too early for them but it was a great laugh.

i have got a few pics but there from later on when some had left an the pleb with the mk4 parked in the middle of us all so there not really any good

thanks agen lads =]

sam(underscore)m

Back to the top
A few more photos….

DaveDub running repairs…..

The culprit……rear engine mount

With confidence low after all his troubles, things faired no better when the tractor challenged Dave……..

There off…..and Daves running repairs are K9 plums  :wink:

Final running shot of Dave, 10 minutes before the alternator totally went poop.

Back to the top
what an entertaining day!

i think it was my car trying to warn me off racing it! the dodgy starting was a warning for the whole day!

after gammy left me the rac rang and said they didnt have a spare lorry cos they were tryin to cater for 20 odd broken vw's coming from the pod lol! so they picked my mk1 up on a little truck and gave me a 1 litre mk4 polo to drive home lol! fair play it was a dub tho!

irony is i just sold my 1.4 mk4 polo a couple of weeks ago and my missus was telling me off saying how much better it is than my golf! grrr! considerin its a 1 litre it sat quite happy at 80 on the way home tho i was quite impressed! got home at about 10pm!

theyre dropping my mk1 off today so ill be ringing round places for an alternator and get the bad boy back on the road (much to its dismay im sure!)

im in work today so the pc wont let me see the pics cant wait to see them later on when i go to my parents house!

cheers for everyones help yesterday - the 'mk1 engine mount scouts' and the 'jump starting brigade'! would have been feckin nackered if i had to continually jump start it on me own! and ofcourse the other saviours: my 30quid halfords socket set, gammys spare wheel and the helpful fence post!
thanks again everyone still had an ace day!

There are too many online users to list.