Skip navigation

DX to ABF conversion wiring

Back to the top

DX to ABF conversion wiring

pin 6 - fuel pump relay earth trigger, D/13
pin 7 - starter live, splice into mk1 red/black wire to starter or run to spade on C/18
pin 8 - tci pin 6
pin 9 - ecu relay pin 86a (fit relay to holder above fusebox)
pin 23 - ecu relay pin 87 (fit relay to holder above fusebox)
pin 35 - ecu speed signal, pretty sure unused but i leave it behind fusebox just in case taped up
pin 38 - ignition live, D/2 or D/7
pin 51 - mpg signal for mk3 clocks, bin
immob plug, earth ring, green single pin plug

hefty black lead with red plug - battery live, bin (use mk1 battery cabling in lighting loom)
red lead with big yellow plug - injector live, run to spade hanging off E/14

g1/5 dash earth, only needed if mk1 has MFA. look for brown/white male spade behind fusebox plug it into that
g1/8 lambda heater, run to spade hanging off E/14
f/8 lambda earth, run to ground point
f/7 reverse, bin (use mk1 wires in lighting loom)
g2/1 mfa oil temp, only needed if mk1 has MFA. look for green/black male spade behind fusebox plug it into that
g1/11 speed sensor formk3 dash
g2/3 coolant temp, D/29
f/3 alternator, bin (use mk1 wire in lighting loom)
g2/11 oil pressure, D/1
f/6 reverse, bin (use mk1 wires in lighting loom)
g2/10 oil pressure, D/21
g1/4 coil live, D/23 (or use mk1 coil wire, cut off then splice the thinner black wire to mk1 wire if so)
g2/4 ignition live for ecu pin 38 and isv, D/2 or D/7

ecu pin 67 is for the crank sensor

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Thanks mate, what do I do with pin 67? Cheers

Back to the top
you shouldnt need to touch it, it runs straight to the crank sensor 3 pin plug. if its snapped or cut join it back up!

Back to the top
ive gone a miss somewhere then, ive got a black green from pin 67

ive also got a black green from pin 22

one runs down too engine plug, one runs straight to fusebox and one comes up from engine plug, so i have two at fusebox

one was on plug g1 12 the other g2 1

Back to the top
g2/1 is oil temp sender for MFA, which comes from the round plug on the front of the engine pin 7.

G1/12 is rev counter signal which comes from ECU pin 22.

ecu 67 goes straight to the crank sensor

Back to the top
right that should be fine then, must of got muddled up and worried for the moment! thanks again for your help.

few other questions.. is it vital for the lamba sensor? mine is shafted, well two of the wires are,

also, im using a caddy dash loom which has no rear window heater plug or the wiring for it, but i think i have a spare bit of that said loom with the plug, any idea where its ment to go on the ce1?

cheers

Back to the top
also, to get the car in running, do i have to use the k jet relay? or can i use the current abf? not sure what relay number that is!?

as for fueling, my mk1 is a poverty spec 1.1. so do i need a gti pump and tank?

Back to the top
you can run the engine with the lambda unplugged, but you will need to fit one at some point as it will run better once connected up.

if you have a spare section of loom you're best just removing the switch loom complete whilst making a note of what pins go where, then pop them into the spare sockets. have a read of the fusebox sticky and check my sig jetta89.pdf

you'll need a 67, 80 or 167 fuel pump relay, and also the wiring for the fuel pump. either fit a gti rear loom or get a spare ce1 large pin with a length of wire. fit this to plug E pin 14. run the fuel pump to that, and also put another wire to it with a male spade thats where you plug the fuel injector and lambda heater wires into

you can either fit a gti tank and pump, or fit a post-84 cabrio/scirocco or g40 shape polo lifter pump and fuel reservoir, plus a mk1 gti pump.

fuel lines i would convert the gti pump to push fitting with an m12x1.5 barbed banjo adaptor (7 or 8mm bore) then fit a digifant fuel filter somewhere and run rubber fuel injection hose. you might find mk3 golf plastic fuel lines are a good fit

Back to the top
again thanks for your help,

bit of a shame i started with as car that had absoloutly nothing that i needed, not even the ce1 fusebox, non gti so no pump either. small block mount…..

lord help me! haha

will have to get buying bits again! :(

Back to the top
will the pump in the ibiza be any good or is it too big?

Back to the top
ibiza is in-tank pump only and totally wrong unfortunatly a polo gt or g40 main pump would also work if you can find one, the fuel lines might do you as well?

Back to the top
I feel embarrassed as I don't quite understand,

So I need the unit that goes in the tank, + an external pump!? What's the unit do that's in my tank alreqdy? .    . As for the Ibiza setup, is it no good as it won't fit or no good ad it won't work?  Im confused as my mk1 was modified anyway so I don't know what's original or not

Back to the top
the unit in your tank now is just a level sender, what you need is a lifter pump assembly from a gti convertible/scirocco or g40 shape polo plus the plastic reservoir to ensure the main pump is always supplied with fuel.

the ibiza unit is completely different, you'll soon see if you try to fit it ;)

Back to the top
right im understanding now, i never seen the original engine in it, i understand that it used a mechanical pump. i couldnt work how it got fuel.

i spoke to the previous owner today and he seems to think he fitted a scrirroco unit under the rear seat, so im guess its the setup that you suggested. il have a look tomorrow and see what is there. try and see what the part number is. what i just need the resivoir then if it is the correct pump?

cheers

Back to the top
if you pull the unit out you'll see the fuel pump attached to it, if you have one then you can just get yourself a fuel reservoir and a main pump under the car :)

Back to the top
well i pulled it out and it did have a fuel pump inside too so it seems it has been replaced which is a bonus. so now just need a external fuel pump, am i best with an original gti pump or an aftermarket fuel pump?

cheers

Back to the top
a mk1 gti pump will work fine, or a polo GT/G40 one. aftermarket also fine as long as you get the right spec, you want at least 3bar, 75 l/hr :)

Back to the top

Back to the top
more than good enough aye

Back to the top
bump for some more help please, relay 30 (digifant control unit) is pluged in above the fuse board, what cables should be going to what pins on here,  we seem to have a confusion,

9.. black/white, to pin 86a
23..black yellow to pin 87
relay terminal 30 to live
black and white pin 86 to d7?
pin85 to common earth?

also, what relay am I using for fuel pump?
There are too many online users to list.