Skip navigation

16v engine in a MK1 by paul-c

Back to the top

16v engine in a MK1 by paul-c

i am so jelous

:twisted:

I WANT TO DO MINE BUT CANT BE ASKEDDDD TO DO ITTTT  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Back to the top
All these guys who want the same engine conversion but haven't gotten round to doing it themselves - do you want me to do the conversion for you???? My rates are very reasonable…..

Back to the top
ARE YOU THE FAIRY I BEEN WISHING FOR?  :wink:

THAT WILL COME AND DO IT OVER NIGHT WHILE IM TUCKED UP IN BED?  :oops:

PLEASE SAY YES  :roll:  :roll:

nah i want to do it myself i know i can do it, i got as far as putting the 1.8 16v in just a matter of taking it out and putting in the 2.0

if only it was that easy

Back to the top

paul_c said

do you want me to do the conversion for you???? My rates are very reasonable…..

then you could all call me tulloola :wink:

Back to the top

wooders said

paul_c said

do you want me to do the conversion for you???? My rates are very reasonable…..

then you could all call me tulloola :wink:

????

Anyway…….

Not much progress since the engine was put into the car. I've connected a few things up underneath, corrected a couple of paint chips during install, cleaned up and painted a few more items (not too many now, to do), and sussed out the wiring. A lot of time has been spent on 'admin' stuff, sussing out the remaining parts (silly items like bolts, etc) and gathering these. Annoyingly, it seems my lower gasket set is missing a couple of gaskets and seals, further adding to the delay. A couple of pics:

Can anyone figure out what's going on here?

Starter motor is cleaned up and the steel band painted with black enamel paint.

Back to the top

polishing

what r u using to polish the inlet manifold up with?

Back to the top

Re: polishing

willwebby said

what r u using to polish the inlet manifold up with?

Its powder coated in semi-gloss black. So a quick wipe with degreaser should do it!

Back to the top

paul_c

hi paul, iam a new mem, and just wanted to say that i am also doing a 20l 16v but with a turbo. My engine is almost ready still need some bits, if you want any parts for conversion i may have some. i will send some pics so u can have a look.

Back to the top
I'm still waiting on other parts, so I concentrated on the distributor. As many will know, the 16V's dizzy is on the top left of the engine, so it comes very close to the master cylinder. I'd obtained a MK3 16V cap (which exits the leads at 90?, towards the rear). Its possible to chip a bit off and make it exit from the top or front. Also its secured with screws, instead of clips. I was unhappy to chip bits off the cap and not secure it properly, so instead, I decided to re-plumb the master cylinder's brake pipes.

This is the old plumbing, with the pipes exiting from the master cylinder (removed) on the right (WRT front of car).

This is the new, 4-outlet master cylinder with the 2 outlets on the right, blocked off. This gives much more space for the original 16V dizzy cap

And this is a pic with the cap fitted. The slightly different angle shows the clearance available, which is not much but enough!

Back to the top
Good work. You can use a peugeot dizzy cap too. Can't remember which one of the top of my head. No need now though!

Megasquirted 1981 Silver 1600 GTI Daily Driver

Still Restoring...

Back to the top

woZa said

Good work. You can use a peugeot dizzy cap too. Can't remember which one of the top of my head. No need now though!

I'm let to believe its a Peugeot 205 GTi 1986-1990, Bosch, Intermotor part no.45830 but the ignition leads need adapting to fit. I'm guessing, you need to chop off the ends and crimp new ones on - didn't fancy that!

Back to the top

paul_c said

woZa said

I'm let to believe its a Peugeot 205 GTi 1986-1990, Bosch, Intermotor part no.45830 but the ignition leads need adapting to fit. I'm guessing, you need to chop off the ends and crimp new ones on - didn't fancy that!

Ah. Didn't realise the ends needed modding. Not difficult to do if you have the right crimping tool (ie one costing about ?70!)

Megasquirted 1981 Silver 1600 GTI Daily Driver

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
Interesting about the dizzy caps. If you look at my engine on page 2 of this thread (Audi 6A), you can just about make out that the leads exit at the top of the cap. I'm not sure the dizzy itself is different to the 9A one, but can't see why it would be …….

Cheers,

Mark

Back to the top

paul_c said

I'm guessing, you need to chop off the ends and crimp new ones on - didn't fancy that!

I had to do something similar on my pug, when I accidentally pulled the HT lead out of the crimped end. Initially I thought I'd need a new one, but I figured I had nothing to lose by trying to squeeze the cable back in, and hey presto, it worked fine.

I don't think it's too technical, so it may be worth a try before you fork out for a proper crimping tool.

HTH

Rich

Back to the top

mcscrew said

paul_c said

I'm guessing, you need to chop off the ends and crimp new ones on - didn't fancy that!

I had to do something similar on my pug, when I accidentally pulled the HT lead out of the crimped end. Initially I thought I'd need a new one, but I figured I had nothing to lose by trying to squeeze the cable back in, and hey presto, it worked fine.

I don't think it's too technical, so it may be worth a try before you fork out for a proper crimping tool.

HTH

Rich
hahaha funny you should say that done that to 1.9 205gti when i was changing my plugs cable came straight out!! :roll:

Back to the top
paul_c are you going to have the mfa or any of that working? or you changing the clocks?

Back to the top

kultzz_mk1 said

paul_c are you going to have the mfa or any of that working? or you changing the clocks?

I don't have an MFA - the original car was a 1.6 once upon a time.

Back to the top
nah i mean... the car you got the 2.0 lump out of? that must have had mfa?

Back to the top

kultzz_mk1 said

nah i mean… the car you got the 2.0 lump out of? that must have had mfa?

The engine was out of a Passat, I got the fusebox and a lot of wiring, but not the instruments. In any case, there's no need to swap anything over here - I'm using most of the original car's wiring, just the ignition will be using different wires - those from a Golf 16V.

Back to the top
Its been a while but here's a bit of an update. The engine is fitted and gradually most/all the bolt on parts have been bolted onto the engine. It was slowed by a number of missing seals, gaskets and bolts but a big order from the local VW Dealer has sorted that lot out. I had a bit of trouble with the radiator top hose, it needs to be a different shape because my radiator is displaced to the left slightly, due to the oil cooler and its pipework. But after a couple of misfitting hoses, I think I've found one which will work, from a scrappy.

Silly little things are causing me problems. The radiator sprung a leak, probably due to being bashed during storage, so after an unsuccessful search I've bought a new one.

The current issue is that the starter motor is just slowly turning, I think its down to either an engine earthing issue (the gearbox mount was powder coated and might not make a proper electrical connection) or a dodgy battery which has gone flat and stopped working, during the time it was out the car.

Also, work and other stuff has gotten in the way of things recently and I've just not had the chance to explore the problems. It doesn't help that the other Mk1 of mine has broken down too! But, its a lovely day outside (looks like spring has sprung) and I have a full weekend to work on it!

Pics to follow later…

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.