Skip navigation

You know you've been driving a mk1 too long when...

Back to the top

You know you've been driving a mk1 too long when...

kellymk1 said

i told him that his brakes were good, but his car was rubbish compared to mine!
LMAO, nice one kelly  :lol:

Back to the top
you die of malnutrition :dontknow:

Back to the top
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top
When you pop into Halfords hoping they might have bits, go through the parts book, find the number, look on the shelf to find the part numbers jump ten numbers either side of the one you wanted and still you get on your knees and check there isnt one hidden at the back of the shelf. :banghead:

Back to the top
Swear a number of profanities as the gearlinkage plays up again.

1983 mars red 1800GTi on ATS cups:)
G60'd, schrick cam, chipped, 70mm pulley, pace charge cooler, rolling road 182bhp 250Nm of torque, 14.50 quarter mile.

Back to the top
Not raining quite enough, so you just flick the wiper lever up every so often and they get stuck half way..no such thing as inter-mid.??!!

Back to the top
When you ring up VW dealer for a service:

Me: What's your price on a 20k mile service for a Golf?
VW: What reg is the car?
Me: It's on a P-plate
VW: Wow, that's low mileage! Engine size?
Me: Its a 1.1 petrol
VW: <1 minute silence>  :nerd: There is no 1.1 engine listed for a 1996 Golf  :?
Me: No, it's a 1976 P-plate  :roll:
VW: Err, let me ask someone……………
Me:  :lol:  :lol:

Banner

Back to the top
Class Rajan :lmao:  Would have loved to have seen the look on the other guys face!

Did he come back to you with a price?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
This is so true.  I have another one to add:

When, despite the nightmares about death and betrayal, you venture to buy a newer car.  The dealer asked you whether you have an old vehicle to trade in and you proudly tell him you have a Mark 1 Golf, before bursting into tears at the flutter of a thought of parting with the old girl. The poor chap didn't know where to put himself.

1982 (Y) Mk 1 Golf C (FOR SALE)

Back to the top
Almost related. (not getting my Mk1 until next weekend! can't wait!)

You know your Mum's been driving a Mk1 when

- Her husband who used to just have a sierra falls in love with Mk1's and spends all his time repairing her first golf

- Her son who can't even drive yet plonks into the driving seat to get a feel for the driving position and loves it

- Her son wants one and wants one NOW!

Something tells me I have all the joys over the past pages yet to come :mrgreen:

Bert said

"if only everything was as reliable as a volkswagen"
——–
1.1L Series1

Back to the top
When you get the "we need to talk" from your girlfriend and then she explains how she feels that you don't spend enough time with her, then you tell her the bit about how family come first e.t.c that you lover her lots of you're really active e.t.c but put your foot in it by talking out loud about how there is the "list":

1. Family
2. MK1 & everything that comes with it
3. New puppy & training it to only listen to you and you alone hehe
4. Rugby & worrying about your level of fitness to stay in the 1st team and the current game structure and whether its flawed or not
5. My best mate & his MK1 Polo and restoring that
6. Girlfriend

When your idea of a "nice night in" is her watching the movie she wanted and you sitting on your laptop with your back to the movie on the golf forums.

Back to the top
:lol: nice ones! :lol:

Bert said

——–
1.1L Series1

Back to the top
1) when your mum buys you and your car matching happy 25th birthday cards and fluffy dice

2a)whilst during an emmense downpore your best mate doesnt understand why in an 25 yr old cab you dont want to go out in it.

2b)when your best mate fails to realise after an immense downpore do not open the window untill we have been driving 20 minutes or you will get soaked

3)your brother beggs to learn to drive in your car , you laugh hysterically , he still doesnt get the joke .

4)when the bird next door says " ist that hood electric" after watchin you for 15 minutes desp before it rains

5)you still love it even though it costs more than your mortgage every month without fail

6)i might marry my mechanic , labour costs could be halfed *dreams*

7)despite the fact its a minature german tank i am always a little worried

8)having to explain to people why i love my car so obsessivly and never getting tired of the same stupid questions

9)getting the bus in the winter

10)splitting up with my boyfriend and falling in love with my car.

Golf MK1 Cab 83'
Ultraviolet purple / Forest green
AKA - Dragon

Back to the top
I got another one though Im not sure if it's been before

You know…..when you get irritated when at people who say "but it's just a car" after you've just spent the last 20minutes explaining why it is exactly NOT just a car. Chumps

Bert said

——–
1.1L Series1

Back to the top
When you think paying more than ?30 for a standard car tyre is daylight robbery :D

Banner

Back to the top
………When your neighboor asks "Why did you spend all that money on an old car?,surely you'll never get it back…." then jumps into his brand new Meagne that fails to start and asks you for a lift to the station !

:lol:

If you have to ask the question you will never understand the answer !

Back to the top

eddiegee said

………When your neighboor asks "Why did you spend all that money on an old car?,surely you'll never get it back…." then jumps into his brand new Meagne that fails to start and asks you for a lift to the station !

:lol:

….failing to mention the thousands he lost in tax and depreciation (and interest he is paying on the loan if it's on the 'never - never') as soon as he drove it off the dealer forecourt - more than you paid out on your 'old car'……….

Owning a Mk1 cabby is a vertical learning curve…

1989 Mk1 Clipper 1.8 automatic - Sadly now up for sale - medical issues dictate)

1999 (Nov) Passat S Saloon 1.9 TDI (AFN) - TUG 1 (Remap by CCC ( - **** …..change pants !!) with cruise control

2000 (Mar) Passat Sport Estate 1.9 TDI (ATJ) 5 speed automatic with Tiptronic - TUG 2 (Remap and cruise control by CCC)

Back to the top
:lol: so true!

Bert said

——–
1.1L Series1

Back to the top
I wouldn't mind but it's the third Megane he has owned……some people are rather thick I think…..

:dontknow:

If you have to ask the question you will never understand the answer !

Back to the top
When your Mechanic suddenly becomes your best mate  :lol:
also the why did you sell a four year old bora and buy one of those? (the clue is in the name bora….)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.