Skip navigation

You know you've been driving a mk1 too long when...

Back to the top

You know you've been driving a mk1 too long when...

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:   :oops:
It's the CAR that makes me look good.

You know you've been driving a mk1 too long when there is nothing on TV (again) so you go and wash the car.

You should drink more water.
1664 is 95% water.
Drink more beer? :)

Back to the top
It's the CAR that makes me look good
……and deffo NOT those shades  8)   :lol:

You know you've been…….when you know how far to move your right leg to the left when turing a corner so that the drips of rain coming through your hood avoid your thigh as they land!

83 Helios Blue shell/G60 build
83 1.8Gti Tintop doner car - SCRAPPED!
87 1.8GTi Quartet Cabby now on webbers all in red,daily driver
'90 Caddy Pickup
'83 1.5 Golf bare shell rebuild,knicked by pikeys for scrap

Back to the top
You know...... when for that retro feel, instead of magic tree new car smell you go for the rancid old damp car tree........nice :wink:

Campaign Mk 1 Black

16v Mk2 Red (decsd )

Back to the top
when u done a 10 mile trip and it fills like u just lapped the world!! getting out with a big smile on your face!!  :D

Back to the top
….When you know exactly how long you can leave your lights on before your battery is dead!

I have to set myself a reminder on my phone on those dark winter mornings when you set out in the dark and arrive in the light!!

… When you have two breakdown policies just incase !
… when you carry a towel in the back to cover your soaking wet seats
… when everything in the last 13 pages is true and you still can't bare to part with her!  :(

Kate

Back to the top

Dainish said

… when you carry a towel in the back to cover your soaking wet seats…

Ah, I know your pain… post new hood on my cabbie meant a selection of towels to save my backside and two malteaser buckets to catch the drips!  :oops:

You know your a (late) Mk1 (cabbie) owner when you get really irritated everytime you go to a motor factors and have to explain like this

"Its for a 1990 mk1 golf Gti Cabriolet…"
"yes it is a 1990…"
"Yes I'm absolutly sure its a 1990…"
"No… its not a mk2…"
"no its not a 16v!…"
"Ah, but they carried on making the cabriolet see…"
"No honestly, I don't care what your computer is telling you its a bloody mk1!!!…"

Then having to go back a few days later as the parts are wrong!  :banghead:

Back to the top
that's so so true. even at a main dealer.they have no :dontknow:

Back to the top
Haha when a random person takes an interest in your car and you get excited and end up boring them to death with hundreds of - "did you know...." and "it all started in 1974........."

I'm now mk1less, ahhhhhhh!
Gone but not forgotten;
'83 Schwarze black GTi
'83 Lhasa green GTi
'80 Indiana Red Met. GLS

Back to the top
You know your a (late) Mk1 (cabbie) owner when you get really irritated everytime you go to a motor factors and have to explain like this

"Its for a 1990 mk1 golf Gti Cabriolet…"
"yes it is a 1990…"
"Yes I'm absolutly sure its a 1990…"
"No… its not a mk2…"
"no its not a 16v!…"
"Ah, but they carried on making the cabriolet see…"
"No honestly, I don't care what your computer is telling you its a bloody mk1!!!…"

Then having to go back a few days later as the parts are wrong!  :banghead:

Yeah i know that feeling people always ask is it a mk2 ahhhhhhh. Have you ever tried getting break pads from halfords omg apparently golf cabby's didn't have breaks between 1986 and 1996!! lol

Back to the top

Dainish said

apparently golf cabby's didn't have breaks between 1986 and 1996!! lol

TO MY KNOWLEDGE NO MK1 GOLF HAD BRAKES! LOL its a frightening feeling leaping on the pedal not knowing if ther is gonna be brakes or not!

Please don't call me fella- its deeply insulting to one whom is no such thing! ;)

Back to the top
They're whats know as "faith" brakes… you stomp on them and pray to god your going to stop!

As a laugh, you'd think that folks would learn about the perils of running that brake bar across the bulkhead. I was looking under the bonnet of the O/H Ford Ka and low and behold… guess what system they have… and the brakes are even worse!  :banghead:  :dontknow:

Back to the top

paul_c said

When you arrive somewhere after driving through dusk/dark, park the car, lock it, walk away and proudly look back at the car.

Then realise you've left the lights on and there's no warning buzzer, so you have to go back and switch them off.

SOO TRUE HAVE DONE IT DOZENS OF TIMES OVER THE YEARS LOL :oops:

CAMPAIGN-HELIOS BLUE-POSSIBLY SEEN IT ON CHRIS BARRIES(RIMMER IN RED DWARF) MASSIVE SPEED PROGRAMME?!!!

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
HOW ABOUT WHEN YOU STILL GET A BIT OF AN ADRENALIN RUSH WHEN YOU SEE ANOTHER MK1? :?

CAMPAIGN-HELIOS BLUE-POSSIBLY SEEN IT ON CHRIS BARRIES(RIMMER IN RED DWARF) MASSIVE SPEED PROGRAMME?!!!

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
TO MY KNOWLEDGE NO MK1 GOLF HAD BRAKES! LOL its a frightening feeling leaping on the pedal not knowing if ther is gonna be brakes or not!
16V power discs with Audi calipers will do it…  :wink:

You should drink more water.
1664 is 95% water.
Drink more beer? :)

Back to the top
haha..i thought every car was like this  :dontknow:  ive only been driving for a year and littlered is the only car ive ever driven!

Back to the top

kellymk1 said

haha..i thought every car was like this  :dontknow:  ive only been driving for a year and littlered is the only car ive ever driven!
:lol:  :lol:  Be careful if you get to drive a new car - it could give you whip lash the first try of the brakes 8O

Back to the top

Mr_GTI said

kellymk1 said

:lol:  :lol:  Be careful if you get to drive a new car - it could give you whip lash the first try of the brakes 8O

i drove my cabby last weekend for about 250 miles, and then on monday morning when i drove the audi, it was totally different, i did have whiplash. 8O  8O  8O

1983(Y) VW GOLF GTi

Banner

Back to the top

i drove the goof

i drove the golf for a week then i jumped into the audi and thought the cluch cable had snaped the pedal just fell to the floor :lol:

Back to the top
when you borrow your mates Beemer and nearly wrap it round a tree coz you forgot its got power steering! Underpants change :mrgreen:

86 Christmas Collection Cabby GTi in Saphire Blau!

Back to the top
Mind you though, i did have lessons in a new nissan micra after learnin with my dad in my golf. I gave the drving instructor the fright of his life when we braked… he got whip lash  :lol:
i told him that his brakes were good, but his car was rubbish compared to mine!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.