Skip navigation

You know you've been driving a mk1 too long when...

Back to the top

You know you've been driving a mk1 too long when...

When your driving your friends car and realise that you can flick a fag out of the window without it coming back in & putting fag burns on your seats and not t**ting your hand on the side mirror and having to re-adjust it

Back to the top
When your mk1 one go's for the MOT and you are walking up and down like an expecting father

GTI Campaign Helios Blue, Going back Standard
GTI Campaign Schwartz Black shouldn't have sold
GTI Mk7 Performance pack Daily drive
Polo 1.4sel Sunset Orange The Wife's
Triumph Tiger

Back to the top
….and it still costs you 80 quid but you've only done 370 miles since the previous MOT! And then they manage to mess up the idling speed …" we had to adjust your emmissions"!!!

:-))

Back to the top
when you decide its too expensive to keep throwing money at, you realise it just doesn't make sense to keep using it as a daily driver and resolve to buy a MODERN CAR (like a mk2 lol), then the next time you're out driving it say 'NO, I can't do, I'm NOT selling it'…

I've been there, done that.  If I wanted aircon, to see the road at night, EuroNCAP safety ratings and the like, I'd buy something newer.  I want to enjoy every second I'm driving, so I'm keeping my mk1!

oh…. and looking across to the guy driving the Integrale and exchanging admiring nods ;) - happened last weekend.

Back to the top
…my car is on its 2nd listing on eBay ….. but I just can't do it .. .I can't sell her !!!! Forsake her for what? A Renault CLio? I don't think so, mes amies!!

Back to the top
…When you know the problem before it happens!
…When your window disappers into its door card, without winding it down!
…When all your rear veiw mirrors are pointless, because the vibrations, and you cant make head nor tails of whats behind you!
…When 90% of the police force in the area knows you by your first name!

The joys! :roll:

Completely offtopic: Has anyone came across this problem? Being able to turn the ignition on by holding the high beam on with the lights on. And no key in the ignitions?

I call it personality :mrgreen:

Back to the top

5dr_Beda said

Completely offtopic: Has anyone came across this problem? Being able to turn the ignition on by holding the high beam on with the lights on. And no key in the ignitions?

I call it personality :mrgreen:

My brake lights work when there's no key in the ignition!

Back to the top
so do mine, alot of cars brakes lights work with out ignintion on, especially old vws
however with my ignition on if i put the full beam on and hold it in a specific position the heaters come on and sometimes the wipers  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

when your expertly skilled in tapping the the rear washer so it actually puts water on your screen, and not on to your roof lol

the window disapeering is so annoying i took, my door car off because off it lol

when you plant the throttle just as a song kicks into a good bit, and find yourself doing 120+mph :oops:  :oops: and then notice a mk4 golf trying to keep up with you, so you brake, wait for them to catch up a bit, then drop a gear and leave them standing whilst laughing, and repeating :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
When you're in the pub discussing how easy it would be to convert a diesel cabby to petrol and your friend says

'youd need to get hold of an engine'

and hubby replies

'Oh, I've got engines' (plural!!!)

:mrgreen:

Back to the top
oh…. and looking across to the guy driving the Integrale and exchanging admiring nods  - happened last weekend.

Did the same with a guy with an Alphasud. Tidy looking car - not sure how he has managed to stop the body eating itself though…  :wink:

You should drink more water.
1664 is 95% water.
Drink more beer? :)

Back to the top
when u drive with one hand on the gear stick?

cos my mother in law said the other day
'he likes changing gear doesnt he'
and i said,
nah thats just steering….

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top
when u drive with one hand on the gear stick
And I thought that was just me!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

1664 is 95% water.

Back to the top
when you just want to set it on fire and get rid off :)  :banghead:

Back to the top
when you just want to set it on fire and get rid off
Oooooh yes…
4 hours to remove a fuel tank. In the wet. And the dark.
Couldn't get the matches to spark…  :wink:

BUT IT'S SUMMER NOW and she works like a dream.  8)

1664 is 95% water.

Back to the top
whenever anyone else has a problem with their car's electrics you instantly say "have you checked all your earths?" Only to find they don't know what earths are and will probably will never need to.

Back to the top

yon know when you have been

bengti said

whenever anyone else has a problem with their car's electrics you instantly say "have you checked all your earths?" Only to find they don't know what earths are and will probably will never need to.
when nothing is wrong with the car but you are always thinking how much it will cost to fix?  whatever :dontknow:

Back to the top
You know you've been driving a MK1 too long when you constantly slow down when you pass a shop window, just to cop a look at the reflection of that sexy MK1 then realise how much better it looks when you're in it!  :lol: Makes you feel alive!

83 Helios Blue shell/G60 build
83 1.8Gti Tintop doner car - SCRAPPED!
87 1.8GTi Quartet Cabby now on webbers all in red,daily driver
'90 Caddy Pickup
'83 1.5 Golf bare shell rebuild,knicked by pikeys for scrap

Back to the top

1664 is 95% water.

Back to the top
Also, you know you've been driving a MK1 too long when you know exactley, I mean down to the penny, how much you can spend on your weekly food shopping, without exceeding your boot capacity. Especially true for cabbys! ?64.52 sometimes up to ?75, depending on the size of items!  :dance:  I HATE it when the food shopping has to overspill into the rear seats coz I've filled the boot. Netto carrier bags just soooo clash with my interior  :lol:

'90 Caddy Pickup

Back to the top

Whooaaaaa dude!!  8O  Planet vanity - here we come!

I must admit, its more admiration of ones motor vehicle than vanity of ones self.

God, I look good in it though  :lol:

'90 Caddy Pickup
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.