Skip navigation

What trim should a 1981 gti have?

Back to the top

What trim should a 1981 gti have?

out of the factory what would be on a 1981 gti tin top? Not sure i have this right but i believe it should have black side stripes, black vinyl on the sides and boot. black bumpers, quad lamp grill with red stripe, 4 button wheel, golf gear knob, red dash trim, tarantula wheels. the cars silver so im assuming its diamond silver or were there other silvers that year? with it being silver i would assume it would have come with silver stripe gti seats? anything i've missed?

edit: changed the year..

Back to the top
don't think it had a quad lamp grill mate but everything else is right.  It should have silver stripe seats yes!

What are you planning russ!?!?!

EDIT, just got your PM - Sweet!

Back to the top
just checked the date of reg. it's oct 1981 so should it have a s2 dash or s1?

Back to the top
I have a 1980 and it has the wolfsburg wheel not the 4 button wheel and  Single lamp grill.

Just noticed you updated it to a 1981, think these are series 2's????

Back to the top
yes they are s2, the only thing they retained was the CE1 wiring.  It will have a non MFA clocks too mate and should have the 1.6 unit

Back to the top
with a 5 speed box?

Back to the top
yes 4 spped box was aug 1979 only, it should have a FD code gearbox which is a 5 speed

Back to the top
this car gets more confusing.... noticed the doors are mars red on the insides (probably replacements) and i also found a sticker in the boot with schwarz on it but it wasnt stuck to anything just floating around so not sure its for this car.....think the only way to get an answer to the original colour is to whip the tank out and have a look undrneath.....

Back to the top
I'm gonna make a list and people can add or change whats wrong…

1.6 inj engine (what code)
5 speed box (fd code)
single lamp grill with red stripe
black vinyl bits
s2 dash with red trim
gti seats
tarantula wheels
wind deflectors?
should it have a sunroof? has one fitted but looks after market.
what colours did they come in that year?
and what colour interiors came with each colour?
it has a blue carpet which could hint at the original colour?

Back to the top
Engine code - EG

Back to the top
As far as the seats are concerned, my 1980 has the tartan style seats, I would think the series2 has the stripe style seat.
I thought the 1981's only came in red black white and silver Im sure someone will tell us otherwise. the red, white and silver would have the black vinyl and I believe the black cars didnt have the black vinyl on the hatch???
I also thought all the GTI's only had black carpets

Dougie

Back to the top
could be right bout the carpets the cars been butchered quite a bit and well chaved up so a bit of detective work is needed to suss what colour it was...

Back to the top
I bet whoever has sprayed it hasn't informed the DVLA so id say whatever is on the V5 is probibly its factory colour.

Have you checked the registers on here to see if its on here?

As far as colours I thought it was just Red, Black and silver for GTI's before the campaigns but I could be off the mark there too.

1981 seats will be stripe, 1980 tartan.

Carpets - black is GTI but the GLI could of had them but again im not sure.

Back to the top
says silver on the v5 and has been painted inside and out. kinda tempted to paint it mars red if i get it like....

Back to the top
ohh and i had a look under the carpets and daylight is visible think it needs new floors...

Back to the top
haha, what do you expect for the price tho?

What you gonna do?

Back to the top
dunno where can you get new floor panels from?

could just patch it….

Back to the top

Back to the top
could prob do with new wings and a tailgate too probs a few hundred quids worth of panels plus welding….. think i'd gave the painting a go myself atleast on the inside, engine bay, door shuts and the underside…

Back to the top
I love mars red, especially when its fresh.

get it bought then russ
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.