Skip navigation

Drainage

Back to the top
Hi folks, Mk1 golf cabriolet. I’m aware of the drainage at the bottom of the doors but if water gets past the rear window scrapers where does it drain . Is there a drain I need to know about and check. Thanks.

Back to the top
Same thing on the edges of the door usually towards the rear are pucker drains on the front door skin.

to the left of the Screen Shot 2023-08-21 at 9.06.12 PM.png screw driver is what a pucker drain looks like.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Hi Briano, thank you for the reply. Not sure I understand what you're saying or we are getting wires crossed. I'll add a photo . If water gets past these window scrapers where does it drain? Is there a hole in the sill(rockers I think Americans call them). Thanks again Steve.

A1A06EBD-7605-4861-A639-95ACCDABA4A1.jpeg

Back to the top
On your Cabriolet behind the door cards on the rear quarter panels are Pucker drains that come out of the body.  If those are clear water that gets past the windows scrapers drains outside from there.  

Look under the car on the seam where the rocker panels
meet the sub frame, and if you take your door cards out with the speakers and regulator then look at the bottom, clean all the garbage out of the bottom with a vacuum and you may be able to see them from above.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks again Briano. I'll have a look in the next couple of days and let you know what I find.

Back to the top
There should be some drainage holes along the edge of the sill, they can be seen when underneath the car.
 I use the end of a cable tie to clear mine out.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Hi mark, thanks for the reply. I have had a look and you and Briano were spot on. There are two each side on the pinch welds between the sill a d the floor. I'm not having any issues, I'm trying to prevent them lol. Everyone always talks about the door drains to stop the doors rotting but I have never heard about the rear drains. Thank you everyone, Steve.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.