Skip navigation

Cabby hydraulic roof ram removal

Back to the top

Seeking a 'how-to' guide

I've searched the forums and can't see anything obvious for the ram removal.  Anyone know of and able to send me in the direction of a step by step guide?  I assume that roof can still be operated manually with the rams removed? ensuring it stays in place when down with the tonneu cover?   

Back to the top
You can remove them, but be warned the hoses leak. So you may want to remove them and Baggie the ends to Catch the drips.

Yes you can open it with the rams removed but it is very quick as in Heavy, and if you allow it to free close you may break your rear window.

Same as when you open it with no rams or Struts, a Wee bit difficult and Heavy.  I have always had Manual Tops.  When my struts went, I had to take the bottom clips off, to let them free.  When opening the top it was a Ballet of popping the Latch, and lifting it on one side a wee bit, then going over to the opposite side, and praying that when I unlatched the other side and lifting it up, the other side wouldn't re-latch…  :P

Rams are nice and convenient, how ever Manual tops don't have leaky rams that are temprmental, and the rear struts are easily replaced, with a well oiled frame, I can go topless in about 0-10 seconds :).

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Ideal, thanks. I shall remove and get refurbished, probs not raise /lower when rams are missing. Just need chortle to confirm he'll do the refurb, or point me in the direction of a suitable supplier ;-) 

Back to the top

Craigt said

Ideal, thanks. I shall remove and get refurbished, probs not raise /lower when rams are missing. Just need chortle to confirm he'll do the refurb, or point me in the direction of a suitable supplier ;-) 

Hi Craig, did you manage to get the rams refurbished? I'm looking to do the same with kine as they're leaking fluid all over my boot

Back to the top

Craigt said

Hi Craig, did you manage to get the rams refurbished? I'm looking to do the same with mine as they're leaking fluid all over my boot

Back to the top
Not as yet, i put off pushing this until i could speak with chortle at the AGM:  A conversation that didn't occur and i'm waiting on a response to a PM from him too.  Holidays etc have got in the way and i think it'll be one of many winter projects.  Chortle did say he can offer the refurb service, but the comms stopped there. I'll drop him a reminder and hopefully will get back to pushing this forward again, as mine too is leaking all over the boot.

Ill report back. 

Back to the top

Much appreciated, I'm still trying to remove my rams. Even though the pin at the top only has a single notch for a circlip I can only push it through the top bracket about 5mm then it sticks fast, not much room to work in as the inner and outer roof liner still attached but hopefully should have it out by the weekend

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Try to raise or lower the top by hand as it can be iron bound because there is still pressure in the Ram.

You can also try to use the manual motor valve and see if you can change it's position a wee bit to ease removal…

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Success!! Bought myself one of these little things and was able to slot it over the top of the roof frame and push the retaining pin out
Still don't know why it was getting jammed but both my rams are out and I'm looking to get them refurbd

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.