Skip navigation

Cutting out whilst stopping

Back to the top
Hi all, I have a 1991 1.8 GTI, DX engine as its stated I must have driven today for approx 40 miles local driving and I was just going to go and pick my wife up when suddenly the car cut out at traffic lights. Got it started, struggled a little but got it going. Came to a junction and again it cut out so I decided to get it home and use my other car. Again every junctions I came to it would cut out. What could be the issue for this as this is the first time it has done this. Any help with this would be a great help and thanks in advance.

Back to the top
Is there a loud whine from the right hand rear wheel arch when this happens?  As that would be a sign that your in-tank fuel pump died if this is a Digifant.  If it is a Carbed one then a good thing to do is to replace your Battery to frame and frame to engine ground cable.  

Did the Tach and Radio die before the engine?  as that is also a sign of an electrical issue.

One last thing my daughter was driving my Cabby, and complained that the car Turned off as she was rounding a corner, and it did it 3 times.  

Her Ignition Key was on a fob that weighed about 300 pounds, I exaggerate a wee bit on the weight, but I got in the car and let her drive it. and sure enough in a Turn her fob would pendulate and turn the switch off, then back on…

I took my key out and let her drive it with my key in the ignition and it never happened… I only have a ignition and a House key on mine, not an assortment of Pot Metal Droids, Chewbacha,  and other assorted things.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Hi Briano no there were no sound at all coming from the rear right back, also I only have the steering wheel locking key and ignition key that's it

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Tacko did slowly die as the car was cutting out

Back to the top
A DX has no in tank pump so forget about that  :lol:

I reckon Briano is on the right trail with it being a fuel issue though . . .how much fuel was in it when this was happening?

Brim it and see if there is any difference.

Check earths, battery connections, ignition switch etc.

If you're parked nose down a steep hill does it cut out?

Do a bit of troubleshooting!

Back to the top

joelaurence said

Errrr yes it does, later fuel injection cabriolets with a space saver wheel and bigger fuel tank have a fuel lift pump in the tank and a main fuel pump underneath the car.  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

I have seen the intank pump as mentioned by Briano and Mark, I did replace the pump near the drivers rear wheel but I don't think the in tank one. Just tried to start it and I can hear a growling nosie inside the car, so it could be the intank pump. Anyways of testing it before taking it out.

Back to the top
Start the car and then unplug the electrical connector to the lift pump and fuel gauge underneath the back seat, you should be able to hear a difference when you unplug it.
With no working lift pump you will also find the engine will "bog down" when you floor it.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top

Mark1gls the car is not starting at all now tried to start it today but no joy.

Back to the top
Take the relay out (No. 17 relay I think) just below the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump relay, turn No.17 upside down and it should fit where the fuel pump replay fits.
This will make the fuel pump run as soon as you switch the ignition on then you can see if it will start.

I could also be an electrical problem, when was the dissy cap, HT leads and rotor arm last changed?

Back to the top
Lift pumps have a weak spot, the Fuel hose connector, as I was replacing my OEM pump after it had been in the car for a decade, the Isolation damper rotted, and the fuel pump fell into the tank, well was dangeling by the electrical wires.  

How to change it or check it
1984.5-1993 mk1 How to change your in-tank fuel pump | Volkswagen Owners Club Forum

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Hi all, just went out to start striping the rear seat out and cover etc, took them out and thought I ll try to see if it starts. Got the key put it ignition and turned it and started straight away. Whilst I am at this stage should I carry on and replace the intank pump or just leave it and carry on using it as it is. I don't want to be stuck somewhere broken down with kids that is the last thing anyone wants.

Back to the top
When was the ignition system last changed, spark plugs, HT leads, dissy cap and rotor arm?

When was the fuel filter last changed?

Back to the top

The plugs, fuel filter was changed last year, rotor arm and dizzy cap has not been changed for a while. I approximately do about 900 - 1200 miles a year. I know that's nothing.

Back to the top

Back to the top

Just discovered that this pipe had come away from the connection at the bottom I think idle control valve, so connected it and started no problems took it for a drive and seems fine. Am I right this could be causing the cutting out?

Back to the top
Surprised it ran at all with that disconnected. Basically it's a massive air leak so you are getting unmetered air (it is not going past the lift plate) into the engine, and therefor running very lean, and not idling. I would strongly imagine that is the root cause of your issue.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top

mark1gls said

joelaurence said

Errrr yes it does, later fuel injection cabriolets with a space saver wheel and bigger fuel tank have a fuel lift pump in the tank and a main fuel pump underneath the car.  :thumbs:

I stand corrected…..I'm only used to tin tops.

Every day is a school day.

Back to the top

Ok I went to check the aux valve behind the inlet manifold to see if it was working and I could hear an air leak around that aux valve area. I think the item No 24 is at fault and wanted to know if I can still get this from the dealership or anywhere else. I also checked the negative cables which are still in tack ( I removed the air boxed and checked and cleaned the connection areas including the gearbox area). 

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.