Skip navigation

Best source for touch up paint

Back to the top
Thank you for any advice you can offer about where to buy touch up paint for stone chips on my 1993 Golf Clipper.  There is no sign of respray and the original stickers are all still in place.   In the catalogue it is listed as ink blue metallic.  My plan is to have the car professionally valeted and they will fix the stone chips at the same time.  Then she’s going to have a new cabriolet roof fitted to bring her up to scratch!  Thanks! 62366C92-23DE-469B-AAA3-7C9BF1BF5D6C.jpeg BCFDB003-9050-4111-A6DA-3D1634B2C76D.jpeg

Last edit: by MDR

Back to the top
There are mail order companies that will provide touch u p paint from paint code. For metallics they usually comprise a base coat and top coat. I've used these guys in the past - Choose Car paints from the UKs biggest online colour database albeit for more modern vehicles. You might be worth finding a local paint supplier to get thier view. I had an MX5 years ago that needed a minor spray touch up, and I got the paint colour matched. Came out very well.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
Thank you for the reply and the link too.  I was also wondering if VW has a heritage paint supplier somewhere?  Matthew

Back to the top
I've used Paints 4U in the link above and found the match of touch up pots is very good.
I've used them on different cars from different manufacturers from my white Mk1 Golf and metallic grey Mk1 Scirocco, blue Mk2 Golf, Honda Civic in sliver, Honda Jazz in metallic black to a newish Mazda 6 in silver.

I guess it all depends on how much your paint has faded  but the small stone chips are not that noticeable.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thank you paceman and mark1gls, I will try Paints 4U.

Back to the top
In the boot, there is a Build sticker it is on the cross member.
On my 90, 92, 93 CABRIOLETS
The Sticker in all their boots were:
Screen Shot 2023-05-26 at 7.23.18 PM.png

The Build sticker looks like this (Thanks Cabby-Info.com)

Screen Shot 2023-05-26 at 7.25.21 PM.png

All of them had a Bar code with Paint number and name affixed to the (as you look at it) Left inner fender in front of the Strut Tower.  Only Pic I have.

Screen Shot 2023-05-26 at 7.28.03 PM.png

Here is a link to Paint by years for the cabriolet.
https://museum.cabby-info.com/paintyears.htm

I have used a couple of vendors for paint, one was https://www.automotivetouchup.com/  They are based in New Orleans LA USA.

Then I have also used a local source my Paint Guys, where they looked it up in the Catalog, then used a color gun on the paint to Age it.  Then they put it in a aerosol can (rattle can).  I also bought the clear coat with hardener, had a button on the bottom that you pressed then shaked the Heck out of it to mix.

I painted a whole door with Rattle Can, as it had a Dent in it when I bought it, and I bought a parts cabby that was white and swapped a non-power window door for a power windowed door.

Dent when I got it.
Screen Shot 2023-05-26 at 7.48.42 PM.png

Alpine White marked for the 93 upgrades as in Power windows and speakers.

Screen Shot 2023-05-26 at 7.43.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-26 at 7.43.51 PM.png

Not the best shot but it was a perfect match.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thank you Briano1234 that is quite a post and I will follow up.  As it happens I have the build sticker already photographed which lists the paint as LK5T.  This is listed as Inka Blue Metallic on cabby info and fits with the brochure I found which calls it Ink Blue Metallic.

F25287A8-C03E-438B-ADEB-BD10B2C39CBD.jpeg

Many thanks, Matthew
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.