Skip navigation

Cold start valve

Back to the top

Cold start valve not pumping fuel

Hi guys,
I have a 1988 cabby 1.8 and Iv had issues trying to get it to run so iv done a lot of fault finding and found that the cold start valve is not pumping fuel. I first checked to see if I had I have fuel coming into the CVS which I did.

So I thought it could be a electrical issue, when reading across the two points of the connector with my multimeter while I turn the key I don't get any voltage change, but when reading from the positive side straight to a earth I get 9 volts. Iv tested I'm getting voltage out the thermo time switch and it seems to be working fine. And iv checked the continuity from the negative side of the CVS to earth and it seems to be fine

But this is as far as my knowledge goes on any of this, any one have a idea of where I should look next.

Cheers,
Scott

Back to the top

scottie2 said

Hi guys,
I have a 1988 cabby 1.8 and Iv had issues trying to get it to run so iv done a lot of fault finding and found that the cold start valve is not pumping fuel. I first checked to see if I had I have fuel coming into the CVS which I did.

So I thought it could be a electrical issue, when reading across the two points of the connector with my multimeter while I turn the key I don't get any voltage change, but when reading from the positive side straight to a earth I get 9 volts. Iv tested I'm getting voltage out the thermo time switch and it seems to be working fine. And iv checked the continuity from the negative side of the CVS to earth and it seems to be fine

But this is as far as my knowledge goes on any of this, any one have a idea of where I should look next.

Cheers,
Scott
Did you figure it out? One way to see if you CSV is working mechanically is to remove CSV from the manifold and put it in a plastic bottle etc, unplug the central coil plug and ground it to the chassis and then disconnect the connector that plugs into the CSV and wire the CSV directly to the battery (green/white wire is neg and red/black is positive). Crank the car and if it squirts into the bottle then your CSV is actually working and then you can isolate the problem area to either your TTS or the wiring that connects the TTS to the CSV.

EDIT - Sorry, I should add that by doing this you're bypassing the TTS and thus the CSV wont stop spraying fuel (if it is working) until you stop cranking the ignition. So as soon as the CSV starts spraying and you can see that its spraying in an even pattern stop cranking.

Last edit: by Dapoe

Back to the top

Re:

Dapoe said

scottie2 said

Hi guys,

Cheers,
Scott
Did you figure it out? One way to see if you CSV is working mechanically is to remove CSV from the manifold and put it in a plastic bottle etc, unplug the central coil plug and ground it to the chassis and then disconnect the connector that plugs into the CSV and wire the CSV directly to the battery (green/white wire is neg and red/black is positive). Crank the car and if it squirts into the bottle then your CSV is actually working and then you can isolate the problem area to either your TTS or the wiring that connects the TTS to the CSV.

EDIT - Sorry, I should add that by doing this you're bypassing the TTS and thus the CSV wont stop spraying fuel (if it is working) until you stop cranking the ignition. So as soon as the CSV starts spraying and you can see that its spraying in an even pattern stop cranking.
Cold start injector gets its live from the black wire from the starter motor

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Do not know a lot but willing to help if possible

1989 Sapphire Blue Mk1 Cabriolet KR
1985 Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI 2.0 ABF
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.