Skip navigation

Engine temp is high

Back to the top
Hi, I have a mk1 cabby 89, Webber carb. Few weeks ago my coolant pipe burst, I've replaced it and ordered the coolant but in the meantime I filled it with water and today I have added the coolant. However the engine temperature doesn't sit in the middle as it used to.

When the pipe burst I did have to drive it home for almost 10 mins.

Any ideas why the engine is overheating? Possibly the sender isn't showing the correct temp?

Engine temp.jpg

Back to the top
You may have an air lock so the coolant is not running around the system very well.

When the engine is cold remove the expansion tank cap and start the engine, with the engine running (so watch your hands) squeeze the big bottom radiator hose several times then squeeze the top hose serval times, you may see the coolant level drop in the expansion tank. With the cap still removed rev the engine via the throttle cable so you can still watch the expansion tank and see if a jet of water comes out via the thinner hose going in the expansion tank, the flow should increase with the revs.
Put the cap back on and the hoses should start to get hot and pressure build up in the system.
Don't leave it more than about 10 mins running with the cap off or it will over flow.

See if that helps?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
When filling it, do the upper radiator first via the upper hose, remove it off block and fill the radiator first.The take the hose off the radiator and fill  the block side. When it starts to dribble out of the hose, then replace the hose properly, and tighten the clamps.  Fill the expansion tank and Burp the upper hose, as it is running it will allow the air out, not creating the air bubble.

If you have the water temp sender on the water outlet, you can loosen it to allow the air to escape as well.

The other way to prevent his from occurring is to replace the t-stat with new, but before replaccing he t-stat drill a small 1/8 inch hole in the lip of it, this totally prevents the Air bubble from hades.

It wouldn't of hurt to flush and back flush your cooling system as well as the heater core after the hose went, as that will flush the scale out of your radiator core allowing it to be more efficient.

Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 9.48.04 PM.png

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.