Skip navigation

Tin top rear wiper - spindle park position

Back to the top

Haynes is WRONG

Hi all,

so a while back my rear wiper motor arm popped off the mecahnism. I have no idea why so I extracted it in 2 parts. The motor, and the lever mechanism that drives the spindle.
I was looking at the Haynes to make sure it was set up right, and discovered that the arm on the motor was not in the correct position (according to Haynes) when parked.
I cycled the motor a few times to make sure it was parked. So, I moved the arm to be in the position described by Haynes. Got it all back in the car (PITA that was). Put the wiper on where it should be, ran the wiper and it goes left (off the rear screen) before going right. So, clearly the motor arm is now in the wrong place.

I now have no idea what the correct location should be for the arm. Does anyone have any info on this? I don't have a Bentley but would love to know what that says.

Thanks,

Jason

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
Have you got the crank arm on the motor 180 degrees out? 

Back to the top
It was common for people to mod the rear wiper so it parked on the bottom of the screen and wipe left instead of parking upwards and wiping right has some one been missing with it  before?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
This was how Haynes said the arm should be aligned
16778326981114485091811621954803.jpg

Which is clearly wrong.

It was okay originally, the only idiot to mess with it was me. I wasn't sure why the linkage popped off so had it all out, checked Haynes, mine didn't match so changed it. No idea what it should be as it isn't what Haynes says.

Back to the top
Looks like both Haynes and Bentley cribbed the image you've posted from VW's own workshop manual…

One difference I can see is VW says run the wiper motor 2 x cycles to find the parked position while the other states 3 mins.

Rear wiper mech 002.jpg

Rear wiper mech001.jpg

Back to the top
Thanks! That is really useful. I cycled mine by sticking 12 across it whilst out the car.
I'll have a go at doing it that way. No idea how easy it will be to get to the carnk arm with it bolted in the boot lid!

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.