Skip navigation

Black Rubbery stuff on fuel tank

Back to the top

Needed or not?

Just about to receive replacement fuel tank - can't seem to find stock of the black rubbery 40ish mm wide tape that covers the top - any suggestions on an alternative?   Got an old wet suit I could cut into strips?  Possibly bond with contact cement?      Or do I just wang it in unprotected?  (The reason I have 3 kids already? 

Back to the top
I used a sticky back foam when I did mine, not what I bought it for but was similar width/thickness. Worked a treat. Can't remember where I bought it but can't see it being difficult to find. 20200807_062523.jpg 20200807_062610.jpg

Back to the top
Looking at the picture closer I might've doubled up as it was about 6mm thick the stuff I used, original stuff is quite thick. I'd guess its only to stop metal on metal/rattling etc but that is just a guess

Back to the top
Spray the tank with rubberized bead liner, then where the tape was you can use the 1/4 inch strips of a Asphalt Tape for roofs, your tank won't have that Drumming noise when filling.

Over hear we have Flex Seal in spray, tape and brush on
works good and dries hard.

It will also prevent the tank fro rusticating on the bottom similar to body shotz.

Be sure that you tape off the hose nipples, and where things go or bolt like the fuel sender hole, gravity valve…

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Self adhesive neoprene sheet. No idea on the thickness or width.

Back to the top
Thanks for the help  -  found a 40mm wide self adhesive rubber tape on Amazon - jobs a good'un 

Back to the top
Hi interested in your post, I'm also changing tank, any recommendations regards painting/protection for the outside of the tank itself or just leave it as it's supplied?

Back to the top
If you spray a rubberized coating then it will help sound proof it, and preventing it from rusting from the outside.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Carl Jones I didn't paint mine, just fitted as it came from factory, if I'd had time I probably would've painted it. That said, I poked my head under the car yesterday and it seems (from what I can see) to be holding up pretty well. I fitted mine 2ish years ago and probably done 4k in that time with some wet/winter driving though mostly driven in the dry and the car is parked outside all year.

Back to the top

Carl Jones said

Hi interested in your post, I'm also changing tank, any recommendations regards painting/protection for the outside of the tank itself or just leave it as it's supplied?

My new one came from heritage parts - it has a grey paint finish already applied?     Found the rubber tape stuff on Amazon.     I suppose if you wanted it to be super protected you could spray with a bed liner type paint?  

Back to the top
Thanks for the advise will investigate bed liner paint and the rubberised paint. 👍

Back to the top
How are you getting on with replacement tanks?  

I've heard horror stories, so bit the bullet and have used a two pack tank liner.  I knew it would be an utter 🐓 of a job, but thought if it didn't work, plan B was a pattern tank.

Need to source the rubber padding, and finish off spraying it in bed liner, then see if all my hard work was worth it!  

Not looking forward to it not working.

I took it off the road, as it ran ok, but was rather flat.  Then looked in the tank and it wasn't minty clean 😬

I'll assume there will be crud in the fuel line, is it just a case of blow them out with an airline?

I've brought a new pump from Crazy Quiffs, hopefully that'll cure any issues, also I'm hoping the filter has kept the metering head safe.

Back to the top
Have a look here regarding a similar issue i had. Ended up with Hartlepool radiators refubing the tank. (coated inner and outer)
Its been perfect since refitted despite cutting the Swirl Pot cover to refit.

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=helllllpppp%2Ffuel-tank-rust

Back to the top
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.