Skip navigation

Mk1 ABA swap won't fire

Back to the top

'95 2.0 ABA into '76 MK1 won't fire. Has spark, fuel, compression

Hi all. 

I just finished my OBD1 ABA swap into a '76 rabbit. Harness custom done by a reputable VW shop, everything operable, with in-harness relays, all tested. 

Bosch 044 fuel pump runs, primed for one second during key on, pumps fuel on crank. 

Plugs all sparking from coil, tested with a timing light. Order is correct (1342). 

Battery, starter, and alternator all brand new. All tested with meter and grounded cleanly. 

Timing was checked between cam, bellhousing, and distributor. Everything is lined up to a T.

ECU sees engine turning, so crank sensor works. I used a test light on some of the injector wires and only one glows when key on. Regardless, that should be a strong indication that the whole FI circuit is receiving power? Should all four glow? 

The only other thing I could see causing this is faulty wires in the engine side harness, causing some injectors to not receive power ?? 
Or, fuel pressure being off? It should still at least ALMOST crank if it's getting fuel, which it is. Will the injectors not spray if PSI is under the recommended 30-40 though?

I honestly have no clue anymore. I've spent months getting here and it's STILL not starting. Any help is extraordinarily appreciated. engine cranks fast, gets spark, gets fuel, no clue what else to check.

Thanks. You can also reach me over the phone anytime, PM for number. 

Back to the top
Have you made any headway with this?

I'm in a similar boat, I've just fitted a Nodiz electronic ignition kit to my car following the installation details and mine is just turning over and not catching but no injection on my car any more.

It was starting before I fitted the kit, but only with massively retarded ignition timing on the dizzy so I can only put mine down to fuelling issues with the 20 odd year old suzuki carbs currently fitted.

Daft question, have you checked the compression?

Also I'm sure I've read about a feed back to the rev counter fuse box wiring and this is the next thing I need to check.

That last sentence isn't necessarily true.

Maybe have a look on here Home

1988 Helios Blue GTI Cabrio project running 1900cc 8v on GSXR 600 carbs and with added porsche bits

Former Mk1's - 1983 Golf Driver 1.3 and a 1982 Golf GTI with a 1.8l 16 valve sold 1999 - CKC 66X (I would love to know if its still alive…)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.