Skip navigation

Just bought MK1 Caddy with MK2 GTI PB engine installed, a few questions

Back to the top
Hi there,

A few days ago i purchased an 87' Caddy that was originally a 1.6 diesel, but it's had a 1.8 PB engine with Digifant II half installed in it, It seems mostly wired in but the car is completely dead, Won't crank, no lights no nothing, what are the basics a Digifant II needs to run? Can anybody point me in the direction on how to learn about them, i'm savvy about cars enough to wrap my head around most things, but new to the world of golfs, would the standard mk1 golf haynes manual be okay?

Also the car has no drive shafts, will I need caddy driveshafts or mk2 gti drive shafts? i'm assuming the latter, will they be compatible with the hubs, which i believe are still stock caddy 1.6 diesel

If you need any more pictures i can take any

Thanks

https://i.imgur.com/6sKs5ZQ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uLcGiSQ.jpg

Back to the top
Buy a Haynes for a 87 Caddy.
Buy a Bentley for a 90 Cabriolet
Between the two you have all the wiring information that you need to wire yours up. I suspect you may also need the entire harness from a donor, as the Digi Controller has a large connector, then there are the inputs from the ICM, Hall Generator, Knock Sensor and things. The fuel pump relays are different as well as a few other relays and sensors are needed

I would imagine that some one somewhere has done this before, and that they may have posted a how-i-did-that on a forum here, the vw vortex,  or a caddy forum.
I can't assist other than this as we over here stopped the Caddy's in about 84.  

As far as Diesels go, they have a more simpler Electrics for the engine and less sensors that a digi.  As I drove a Diesel Golf for 20 years and a Cabby-digi for about 19.

For Drive shafts you have to measure the Cups on the differential.  Should be 100 mm for a 87.

See Brokevw.com on how to measure..

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.