Skip navigation

Door Hinge

Back to the top

Excessive Play

Hi, I have a Golf Clipper MK 1, 1990, the bottom hinge on the drivers door has excessive play. the hinge pin has not worn but it looks like the side of the hinge that's fixed to the A post is loose, is this bolted to the a post if so how do I gain access to secure. Can anybody help?

Back to the top
Welcome along  ;)

I'm pretty sure they're welded to the A post.

I'm sure one our many experts will be along shortly to confirm  :thumbs:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
The hinges are welded to the doors and the door check frame (a pillar), they are bolted together as in door frame welded part, to door welded part.  Pins wear, and doors sag as well as the bolts can get loose.

Door check repair 1
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=projects%2Fyour-mk1-golfs_2%2F-83-gti-set-to-get-full&start=540#post_1354305

Door Check repair2 (cost effective for novice's with lack of welding skills.)

Door Check repair version 2 | Volkswagen Owners Club Forum

Saggy door fix (cost effective and less time to do).

Saggy Door Fix | Volkswagen Owners Club Forum

Now if your seals aren't aligned after or leaking before you adjust or replace be prepared to have to adjust window height, and or door alignment to get the seals to work.

In the signature link below I have a ton of where is my car leaking fix's.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks for your help guys, I've got a mate who's a good welder but do you know how you could alien the loose bottom hinge with the fixed top?

Back to the top
As said the two hinge parts are welded to door and car and pin inserted to form the moving part. Is there actual play in the hinge or has it sagged. If play which parts have play?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
I'm pretty sure there's no play in the hinges, I used a piece wood to lift and lower the door and it appears the A post area that the bottom hinge is welded to has weakened, cause probably rust, this is a surprise to me as the Body appears rust free and the MOT tester as confirmed this two years running. As soon as I can find the time I'll take the door off and investigate.

Back to the top
It's a known issue with doors sagging.

The old school method is to open the door and use a jack and piece of wood to gently ease it up a bit. Do a bit of at a time and carefull close each time to make sure the door catch pin still lined up.

The alternative spanner monkey method is to open door and yank it up with your bare hands.

Back to the top
I have watched over the years that folks use the door to pry their Carcusse out of the Car hold hold them steady whilst climbing in.  Since most of that is focused on the rear half of the door is it any wonder why they sag?

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Its a convertible, I'd not hang on to or put much weight onto a piece of glass.

This door hasn't sagged, its hinge has come loose at the point its welded to the A-pillar.

Back to the top

Rogdodge said

I'm pretty sure there's no play in the hinges, I used a piece wood to lift and lower the door and it appears the A post area that the bottom hinge is welded to has weakened, cause probably rust, this is a surprise to me as the Body appears rust free and the MOT tester as confirmed this two years running. As soon as I can find the time I'll take the door off and investigate.

Have you any pics, not come across this before, it's usually a worn pin or sagging/drooping that can be adjusted back up

Back to the top
My bottom door hinge on the passenger door was also lose from the A pillar, it had rusted around the weld, I tried some tack welding Repair which held for about 5 years but it did give way and I had to get it repaired properly by removing the front bumper, front wing, side body kit and carpets/ interior.
 It's now fixed..

I'll try and find some pics

My check strap fixing had also come lose, 1st 3 pics are rusty hinge and last pic after repair, the welding is not the best I’ve Ive seen so just hope it lasts and I’ve not wasted a chunk of money and time removing the original wings…

Last edit: by mark1gls

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

Door Hinge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
Thanks Mark, very helpful I'll try and tack it first 5 years sounds good to me, what's surprising there's no sign of rust anywhere on the car even around the problem hinge.

Back to the top
Same with mine, no rust anywhere near or around the A pillar, I guess VW/Karmann did not use enough seam sealer around the weld and as it's slightly exposed to elements the area around and just behind the sealer rusted.

To tack mine I just removed the door, door light switch and trim around the door opening, covered the hole where the door was to stop any sparks getting inside and ground back the old seam sealer and cleaned the metal with a Dremel type tool to reduce damage and tack welded the hinge, re apply seam sealer and touched up the paint with a brush..

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.