Skip navigation

Asbestos!!?

Back to the top

Does my car have it

I am about to buy a mk1 GTi 1986 cabriolet 1.8. However I need to know if, during the manufacturing process if any parts were used containing ASBESTOS. I am hoping to export this to Australia but border control WILL NOT ALLOW asbestos to be brought into the country.
can you please help me

Back to the top
I don't think there will be any asbestos on a car of that age as long as it's not got the original brake pads/shoes then there might be slim chance.

Brake and clutch manufacturers used to use asbestos in brake shoes years ago but has long been banned, not sure when Germany stopped using asbestos.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/mvr/mechanical-repair/asbestos.htm

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
They stopped the asbestos over here in the late 70's and after 82 all pad were "organic" and had a negative air displacement issue, same with the clutch kits.  After a few years they started off with Semi-Metalic pads and Ceramic so I don't think there will be any issues as of your pads have been replaced or your Clutch don't worry.  

On a different forum, there is a guy in Aussieland that imports Cabriolets and Rabbits from America all the time.  

Here is his link to his Profile, and you could send him a message….
kehoeautomotive | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum

I remember my first set of organic's on my Chromed MG Wire Wheels, and they evacuated my bowels with all the dust and weekly cleaning of the spokes. That was 75/76…

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks, I will try and get hold of him but having troubles working out how to use this site
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.