Skip navigation

I bought the wrong brake overhaul kit :(

Back to the top
Perhaps a silly question but there were two brake hoses included in the package. What good can they do? Can they be used to replace the last 10cm of the now copper brake lines?
Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 02.47.48.png

Back to the top
You will need these flexi's when you round/shear off the solid lines and in turn try replacing the solids but they are rust welded to the flexi.

The end that fits on the trailing arm nearest to the rear wheel is readily accessible, the other end under the rear axle is a twot. You really need to lower the axle which in turn means disturbing the 4 nuts/studs that hold it the car and they have a habit of shearing off leading to a whole new world of pain replacing those.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
I have replaced them on the axle without having to drop it, but one time I had to use Vice-Grips as the thing rounded out the holder…..  It is a pain to get to without dropping the axle, but you can do it.

I would only consider dropping the axle if you have about a week, to do it and wire brush the studs and nuts and Spray with PB-Blaster every day… Then using a Air Impact lessens the chances of shearing the studs and nuts…. I suspect a little heat on the studs wouldn't hurt either.  

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Changed mine with the rear beam in place, the crows feet spanner's worked well as I could put an extender bar on them so just the little crows deer spanner was near the beam and the wrench was in open space, I managed to wedge a spanner on the other side of the pipe to stop it spinning when undo the joint.

It is tricky to do but if you are restoring the car I would pull the beam off as then you can remove the fuel tank and check it over/repaint then fit new bushes on the rear beam.

If you do remove the beam clean the threads and plenty of soaking as mentioned above and go very carefully, do not just undo the nuts, losen them a little then do them up, then losen a little more then do them up etc… this cleans the thread because if you just try to undo them the thread will lock up and shear the bolt then it’s weld in a new bolt time…..

I don’t have an air impact wrench so I had to use a socket set.

Last edit: by mark1gls

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
So a quick update - I received the correct wheel cylinders and today I tried to replace everything on the right side. Everything worked very well - I did what you guys recommended - soaked the vital parts in rust-cleaner for three days and it came right off.

Last edit: by espenlg

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.