Skip navigation

Engine cut out

Back to the top

Electrical problem?

Hi recently bought a mk1 with 1800 16v mk2 engine, loom etc. Car was running fine but it has cut out three times. 

First time I was going uphill and back wheel caught a mini roundabout engine went off as if it had stalled restarted first time no worries. This was after a 40minute motorway journey.

Second time car had been running fine all day drove to work doing 60, hit a bump in the road and engine cut out but was still revving but as if it wasn't in gear,  pulled over tried restarting it wouldn't happen so reset the immobiliser and it went first time.

Third time drove home from work car was running fine then cut out completely with lights on. Tried restarting several times but had to be towed. 

Has anyone had similar problems? I see people suggesting clean fuel tank and injector test but I'm sure this is more an electrical problem. 

As a side note the temp gauge light flickers but the needles right on the money and whenever I pull the full beam on the oil light appears and this is intermittent. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers panda

Back to the top
Hi welcome to the club.

I'm sure someone will be able to help

Some of that sounds to me like bad earths  :thumbs:

Mike.

Back to the top
Replace the Battery to frame, and Frame to engine Grounds first, don't clean Replace.  You are looking at a iffy Electric.

Don't discount the Ignition switch, or especially if you have 300 pounds of keys on the key fob.  It can pendulate and turn the car off then back on.   

Have your battery tested as a bad cell or iffy cell can intermittently short or open causing similar issues.

These are the first check I would make as well as the main ground and power leads in to your instrument cluster, and the main ground wire between the Valve cover and the Coil Bracket…I understand on MFA cars over in the UK, this can be a WEE BIT of an ISSUE.

Ground…..
Electrical System

Most are applicable…. depends on Digi, or CIS.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.