Skip navigation

Oil leak 1982 GTi

Back to the top

Questions about oil leak?

Earlier today i managed to scrape the bottom of my car as it's too low…. Whilst checking for any damage to the bumper I noticed the sump was covered in oil….. the oil is not drilling in the floor or making a mess it just seems the sump is coved in oil…… Is this something to be concerned about? Im thinking it maybe a sump gasket that needs changing if I'm correct?

Should i be concerned and if it is a sump gasket how would i change this? And how long can i wait before changing as I'm super busy for the next few months….. thanks! IMG_4261.jpeg IMG_4266.jpeg IMG_4262.jpeg IMG_4264.png IMG_4265.jpeg IMG_4263.jpeg

Back to the top
When was the last time you looked under the car? Oil can get blown all over making it very hard to find out where the leak is. Best thing to do is to get some degrease and give the engine a good clean and then have a look after you've next had a run out.
Sump gasket can be fiddly as some of the bolts arent that easy to get a socket on (gear box side). I'd go for a rubber sump gasket over the cork one, and a lot of folk swap the bolts for hex socket ones as it makes it easier to tighten them up. You need to make sure all the old gasket is removed and the sump face is flat. Gasket sealant could be used if you are concerned but it shouldn't be required.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
I personally wouldn't do anything with that. Too little gain for a heap of work

Back to the top

paceman said

When was the last time you looked under the car? Oil can get blown all over making it very hard to find out where the leak is. Best thing to do is to get some degrease and give the engine a good clean and then have a look after you've next had a run out.
Sump gasket can be fiddly as some of the bolts arent that easy to get a socket on (gear box side). I'd go for a rubber sump gasket over the cork one, and a lot of folk swap the bolts for hex socket ones as it makes it easier to tighten them up. You need to make sure all the old gasket is removed and the sump face is flat. Gasket sealant could be used if you are concerned but it shouldn't be required.

I last looked under the car last week after a 30 minute drive and from memory it was dry as a bone… will take your advice and give the engine a clean up. Do you think this is something that needs sorting ASAP or can i still drive her Thanks for the help!

Back to the top

golfy1 said

I personally wouldn't do anything with that. Too little gain for a heap of work

Thanks for the reply, so you think it's safe to drive and won't harm the car ? 

Back to the top
If its not dripping out I'm sure you u won't run out of oil. Check the level before you head out, keep some oil with you. Oil pressure warning will go off it gets too low.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
As long as it's not dripping loads on the floor every time you park up I would not not worry to much yet, keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse.

I call it ARPS.  Automatic Rust Prevention System. I've had the odd leak here and there for the last 25 years.  :lol:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.