Skip navigation

Mk1 Cabrio 1982 engine starts aleatory

Back to the top

It starts, now it doesn't, it starts, next it does not....

Can anyone help?
1982, 1600cc injection engine, all re-done.
Everything is new except for the engine block !
Injection was refurbished in Germany Bosch Classics.
Works well, runs well, BUT, once I stop, in a few minutes it will start OR NOT !!!
It's so annoying….
Been to a Bosch Car Service where they had an apprentice…. and this boy in a few minutes cut and broke a lot of stuff before I manage to have him put aside from my car.
After that, engine starts and stalls….. been to other 3 places and no one knows what to do…

Does this happen to anyone ? Any hints?

All best

Oca GeCabrio.jpg

Back to the top
Fuel accumulator faulty? There is a little screw on the back of it, if petrol dribble out then it's faulty.
The accumulator is a sort of valve which holds the fuel pressure in the system so makes starting a warm car easier.
Did the Bosch service centre not pressure test the fuel injection system or was they looking for a computer port to plug their laptop in to… :lol: 

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thanks man, you know you could be right !
Once I assembled a new petrol pump, and started it for the first time after some 10 years….. drove it to this Bosch guy and noticed the car was leaking petrol. There with the car up, noticed it was from the accumulator back bolt. The guy there did not know what an accumulator was and took the tiny bolt and put some sealant on it. Leak stop……
Gonna have it checked now, hope you are right and car gets well, to serve for another 10 years, minimum…..

Back to the top
Do you know if it works without the accumulator…?
thanks

Back to the top
I guess looking at your car you are not in the UK?
Not sure if it will work with out an accumulator as you may still be getting the same problems you are now.
Accumulators do seem expensive to buy new but they are fitted to a lot of cars running the k-jet fuel system, eg. Audi, Porsche, Saab, Volvo so that my widen your search.
Have you also checked fuel filler neck for rusty holes, fuel tank for rust and dirt.
Old fuel also goes off after about a year.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
You're right, I am in Portugal.

Shouldn't ask that, like my old doctor used to say, "if it is there, it is supposed to be there…'  I'll look around to try to find a reasonable price.
Thanks a lot

Back to the top
Some one on here found this one and was going to try it, it is a smaller size?
There was a thread on this site.

With the £ dropping like a stone and the UK leaving the EU it may be a good time to buy one from over here?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0438170052-BOSCH-FUEL-ACCUMULATOR-K-JETRONIC-BRAND-NEW-GENUINE-PART-/152016789140?hash=item2364e81e94:g:sIkAAOSwv9hW6FJo

Found the thread.
http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=helllllpppp%2Fleaking-fuel-accumulator#post_1538330

Last edit: by mark1gls

Back to the top
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Back to the top
Mine was same when I had 1,6 injection lump fitted
Could not fix it problem went on 3 yr many garages and people Tried all sorts we advanced timing right up was only way some times would start most time you had leave it 20 mins changed every mortal thing all injection system dizzy coil done the head
In end got sick just fitted 2,0 abf now it's perfect

Back to the top
MAN !
Got the new fuel accumulator and the result was the same !!!
Engine starts well in the morning, when cold but as soon as you stop after warming-up, it does not start, only after some minutes waiting.
Mechanics (so many now) can't tell what it is.
Could it be something with warm starting, cold start valve or air-regulator?
Anyone?

Thanks
Óca
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.