Skip navigation

84 gti K Jet

Back to the top

Not running properly

Thanks Paul, Yes it is the standard master cylinder and is the servo .The whole vehicle is standard. 1984 mk1 gti cabby 70000 mls  .Regards Dave W

Back to the top

paul_c said

Its to do with the length of the thread/rod on the 9" servo - which is used with the 16V/22mm master cylinder. I wrote the FAQ on it about 10 years ago, you cut off 10mm from the 9" servo's rod to ensure the same geometry.

Cool - that one I knew about (probably from your FAQ!), was wondering if there was something else.
Thanks
J

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
Hi everyone Im still having problems with bleeding my brakes,I cannot seem to have any luck removing the air from the system.I have just bled them with a clarke air operated brake bleeding kit but I still cannot remove the air I have no leaks anywhere in the system but the air remains Im at aloss at what to do next.Any ideas Regards Dave W

Back to the top
Hi everyone not been on for some time, having the golf mot,d soon been off the road for 22 years. Had a bad fall last year and have had a massive cage on my leg since, cannot  even get in the car ,but hopefully I will have it removed in another couple of months. I look forward to telling you how the mot went and perhaps get back to something like normality. Thanks for listening  Regards Dave W

Back to the top
Hi everyone I just need a question answered My golf is a 1984 gti cabby In couple of years it will become 40 years old, it is on a q plate will this affect my right to the vehicle to become tax and mot exempt.Thanks Regards Dave W

Back to the top
I guess the Q plate should not make any difference but not 100% sure but you need to wait till the April after it's 40th birthday so really the car needs to be around 41 years old before it's tax free and needs to have its original size engine to be MOT exempt so any 20v turbo or 16v conversions will always need to be MOTed every year.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
original size or code? as 20v and 16v are both 1800cc...

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Thanks Mark and john, The car is all original , no changes whatsoever 1984 gti 1800 ,been in the garage for the last 23 years ,starts on the button, absolutely immaculate I will let you know in 3 years or so  if I get it tax/mot free Thanks again Regards Dave W

Back to the top

84 gti K Jet

It’s based on log book date not reg plate so all good. Can get sooner than log book date if prices was in country long enough before being registered but effectively pointless unless it was registered on Jan1st and in country the year before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Thank you backlnblack, thats good to know that its based on log book date Regards Dave W

Back to the top
hi everyone i have just heard on the grapevine that q plated cars will not get historic rating when they are 40 years old my mk 1  is a 1984 unmodified cabby so does it mean that i will not be able to claim zero tax/mots has anyone else heard about this regards Dave W

Back to the top

84 gti K Jet

This is correct unfortunately you won’t be able to. However do you know why it’s on a Q you could ring the dvla and ask them if there is any way of changing it to a date related plate. It’s a long shot but worth a phone call to ask

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Thanks Wilco I will do that, worth a try also my god son works for the dvla in swansea , maybe he can pull a few strings Thanks again Regards Dave W ,

Back to the top
hi everyone, does anyone know where i can get a support strut for the boot lid for my mk1 cabby 1984 gti thanks for your anticipated help regards Dave W

Back to the top
vwheritage, werk34.de rockauto.com (us).

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thankyou briano i managed to order a strut from vw heritage thanks for the info regards Dave.W

Back to the top
morning briano, or it is here, further about my purchase of the gas strut, i have ordered part no.155827550a instead of 171827550a do you think this one will fit .regards Dave W

Back to the top
171827550a is for a tintop golf so wouldnt be the right one anyway. 155827550a or b is what you want for a cabby :)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Thankyou rubjohny it has not been delivered yet so i was sweating on that outcome, so i have ordered the correct one ,thanks again regards Dave W

Back to the top
VW part numbers starting with 155 are just for cabriolets, part numbers 171 are for tin tops but some 171 parts fits both cars..  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.