Skip navigation

84 gti K Jet

Back to the top

Not running properly

Hi every one , hope you are all keeping safe. Can anyone  solve a problem  I am having with my fuel gauge  on my 84 gti cabby. When I switch on the ignition the needle moves to the edge of the red ,but dos,nt move any further now matter how much fuel is in the tank.Do you think the sender is us ,the float indicator does not seem to be close enough to the metal strip and if you touch it  it can easily move away from the strip.Do you think Ineed a new sender Thanks Regards Dave W

Back to the top
Try looping a wire between level sender pins, if it goes to full then the sender needs looking at. Sounds like you might just need to bend the sensor arm do it makes better contact?

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Thanks for that john I will try that and let you know the outcome Regards Dave W.

Back to the top
John, I removed the sender from the tank checked all .the soldering ,took it to pieces and cleaned every thing up still no joy On the sender pins do I cross the two outer pins or one outer and the centre pin , and with the ignition on or off and do I need to take the sender out of the tank again Thanks again John ,sorry to be a pain Regards Dave W ..

Back to the top
ah sorry didnt think it might have a lift pump. so you bridge the purple/black and brown to simulate a full tank :)

Back to the top
Hi John thank you Iv,e located the colours .Would that be with the ignition on or off.  if the sender is us have you any ideas where to obtain a replacement.I live in staines and have tried every one round here and Ive tried Crazy quiffs-german and swedish-euro car parts- band b components.Thanks again for you help Regards Dave W.

Back to the top
test ignition on, loop a wire between and gauge should go to full.

replacement units are hard to find, the g40 shape polo all have them but plug points straight up so ideally need the right angle shaped rubber boot for he plug housing but you can just about squish the straight one in there.

may be able to swap the sensor bit over from a normal level sender, but not something I've tried

Back to the top
John, Did the test and sure enough the guage went to full There is about 2 gallons in the tank,that should be enough to show on the guage shoud,nt it Do you tthink the sender as had it. Thanks Regards Dave W

Back to the top
ok next test you can plug the loom back into the sender and lift the flap manually to see if it registers or not :)

Back to the top
Hello John, well I did  what you suggested and guess what, it worked. I cannot understand how that can be , Do you  think that ten litres of fuel is not enough to register on the guage I will put more fuel in and see if the guage moves more. If you have read all my posts you will see my golf has not been on the road for 20 years,Iv,e had it for 32 years  ,just cannot gets the brakes to bleed properly , to get an mot and get her on the road again.Other than that the car is immaculate ,its been in the garage all this time, Anyway thanks for your help and I will keep you informed on the progress Dave W

Back to the top
the float arm amy need a tweak to sit right, make sure its not holed also. the fuel gauge does have a pretty large 'reserve' after it shows empty though

Back to the top
Quick test of the float is to place it in a glass of water and see if it bubbles air out of it….. They usually get holed due to rust at the wrap around portion of the arm.

If you find a hole Usually there are 2 then make sure that you move the holes away from the arm, clean the area well use a fuel proof epoxy (JB-weld Full Strength) to fill it and a tad over, let dry or cure 24 hours, then test.

The other thing is that if you don't get it in Just right were the sender is at the 5:30 to insert then moves to 6 or 6:30 position the float may not free fall or move about freely.

Also you may want to tweak the contact on the arm.

I have a how to in the archive section on repairing them.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks for that John and Brian I put another 10 litres in and it did show off the red , so it could have been that it did not have enough fuel in the tank .Thanks again you two Regards Dave W.

Back to the top
Hi everyone, just a question, is there an  additive that  I can add to the gear box to stop a small leak from the final drive seals I do not fancy removing and replacing the seals in situ Thanks for your anticipated help Regards Dave W.

Back to the top

handiman42 said

Hi everyone, just a question, is there an  additive that  I can add to the gear box to stop a small leak from the final drive seals I do not fancy removing and replacing the seals in situ Thanks for your anticipated help Regards Dave W.
Not really, if you have a 5spd, and the oils is leaking out, then you have a good chance of burning out the 5th gear as it is splash fed, and not sitting in oil and if it goes bad enough you can take out the transmission.  The oil has to be maintained.

Changing out the seals isn't that hard an only requires a Ford Steering wheel lock tool and a foot of all thread.

See my How to on it yes my how to is for a automatic but the same seal is being used.

Changing a Differential Seal | Volkswagen Owners Club Forum

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks for that Brian I wil have a read of that Regards Dave W.

Back to the top
 Brian the leak I have In the final drive seals, is very slight I have read up on blue devil products for helping with this problem and people have had good results with  this ,Do you think its worth a try  Thanks for the reply. Regards Dave W

Back to the top
Hi all just a question, My banner battery has given up the ghost and I have only had it on my golf for 21 years  :(   ;) Do you think I have any come back with the supplier all joking aside  I do not remember what aph I need for my golf Mark 1 cabby gti 1984 ,any suggestions  Regards Dave W

Back to the top
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253245179421

comes to £55 with discount ebay voucher popupoct20

Back to the top
Thanks for that John, but I  went on that site and it states that this battery is incompatible for the golf caddy .Reading between the lines ,does that mean the battery is a 75 aph Thanks again Regards Dave W
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.