Skip navigation

84 gti K Jet

Back to the top

Not running properly

first check the earth to the side of the head from the mfa cluster, its a brown/white wire.

next disconnect both oil switch wires and see what happens, you should have no light ignition/idle but the ligt+buzzer should flash when revved to around 2k rpm.

If you earth the yellow switch wire the light should then come on with ignition, if you earth the blue/black wire at the filter housing then the light+buzzer shouldnt sound when revved

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Thanks for the feedback John. I'll try that band let you know the outcome Regards Dave W.

Back to the top
Hi John I did all you suggested  and the buzzing comes on when the ignition is turned on but stops when the engine starts I can rev it above 2000rpm and it does not come on as before. Still the buzzing comes from behind the instrument panel, Any ideas. Regards Dave W.

Back to the top
sounds to me like a cluster fault or you have a bad earth then, the buzzer shouldnt sound at all at ignition.

look at the brown wire to the cluster, this should be earthed. it runs over to a male spade near the fusebox on cars with mfa cluster then theres a brown/white wire plugged into it in the engine loom which earths to the head.

Back to the top
Thanks John ,it has got a mfa , the earth to the head is fine. How easy is it, and how do I  get to the other end near the fusebox — will I be able to see it. Why do you think this has happened when its never buzzed before.If I can,t rectify the fault ,will it do any damage. Thanks again John Regards Dave W.

Back to the top
drop the plastic under tray off driver side so you can get to the cluster plug, make sure all the pins are nice and tight, stuff an earthed wire into the back of the brown pin and refit, doesnt have to be pretty this is just for testing. if it doesnt help then no need to mess with the wiring.

it could just be the oil warning board has gone faulty, it does happen. its the L shaped one clipped inside the speedometer unit so can be replaced on its own. of for the short term can remove and leave it out to shut up the buzzer while you source a replacement. doesnt have to be from a GTI set either just needs to be from similar era of mk1, cab and polo 321919064K

Back to the top
Thank for the feedback John,I will try that and let you know the outcome Regards Dave W

Back to the top
John is the L shaped thing you mention ,the bit with tthree little prongs on I cannot find anything else behind the speedo. I have taken the back off and cannot see anything else Regards Dave W

Back to the top
you have to strip the clocks down to remove the speedometer unit, the board is clipped inside

Back to the top
John I stripped the side where the speedo is ,but there is nothing behind it ,do you have to strip the whole back off i.e all the printed plastic which covers the back of the speedo and the rev counter completely Regards Dave W.

Back to the top
yes you have to pull the speedometer out of the clocks

Back to the top
John The instrument panel ie..the speedo and rev counter, iv,e stripped down  is one without mfa is this different to one with mfa thats on my vehicle. Regards Dave W

Back to the top
the oil warning board is the same regardless, heres a youtube guide for a vanagon but the board is basically same thing as mk1/cab/rocco 81-92 and pre-90 mk2 golf

How to disable the oil buzzer alarm on 86-91 Vanagon - YouTube

Back to the top
John I checked Out the video you sent and on the one iv,e stripped down there is nothing like this  shaped piece of plastic or any place that it is supposed to be this one iv,e stripped looks like its from a 83-84 golf not the one thats causing the problem.thats on my golf which I have not looked at yet.IIncidently I think you,Mark and Brian to name but a few,are the Golf Mk1 agony aunts…..Deidre from the sun newspaper is packing it in do you all fancy doing a Mk 1 coloum ..that would be great. any     way thanks again for all you lot are doing .keep up the good work Regards Dave W.

Back to the top
ah, is it a set of mk2 clocks you're looking at with a single plug? if so, those are 90 spec CE2 type mk2 clocks and totally different from MK1 and even pre-90 mk2. they dont have the seperate L board for the oil warning system its all integrated into the main board.

pre-90 mk2 are the same units as fitted to the scirocco and still have the oil warning board, but the part changed around 1985, not sure if the later part is compatible

Back to the top
Thanks John it has indeed got the one plug socket, I will have to take the one off of my vehicle. Thanks for the reply .Regards Dave W

Back to the top
What would we do without the great help, wisdom and advice from rubjonny, he is a legend  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
You as well mark ,thanks for all your helo in the past Regards Dave W

Back to the top
dont forget Briano, how else would we know that we should put all our earth cables into coffee cups. or something liek that...

Back to the top
John I did mention Brian as well ,just forgot about the bloody coffee.Regards Dave W
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.