Skip navigation

100mm driveshafts on a Mk4 gearbox

Back to the top
I have just removed my G60 engine from my Mk1. It had the G60 02A gearbox and I have the 100mm driveshafts. I have replaced the G60 for a 1.8t engine and gearbox but the driveshafts won't fit the cups? Bolt spacing looks different and the bolts are M10 instead of M8.  Do I need to use the Mk4 inner joints?

Cheers, Skipp

Back to the top
Measure the Diameter of your cups, as there are 3 different versions that I know of. 2 styles of 100mm cups and 90mm cups.  

If the Diameter of the Cup is 3.5 inches then you have 90 mm cups.

If you have a diameter of 4 inches then you have 100mm cups.

The 100mm cups holes are off set so you have to get the axle aligned to the holes

The 90mm cups are equal distant and easier to go on.

It may be easier to swap the Cups over.  I know that I had to do that on a tranny that I swapped over, it had 90mm cups. where my axles were 100mm.

I thought that the g60 still used the m8 TS bolts on the
differential cups.  It may be easier to get new axles over re-building yours.

I don't think that the Mk4 is the way to go.

See www.brokevw.com for answers.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
So, is it an 02j g/box, some maybe all (inc mine) come with bigger 108mm or so cups, don't know if the 02a ones will fit, but 100 mm ones are available, always some for sale on ebay, although not particularly cheap..

Back to the top
Will 02A flanges fit a Mk4 gearbox? My G60 box has push in style and the Mj4 are bolt in. Can you get bolt in02A flanges?

Back to the top
What am I searching for on eBay? 100mm 02J flanges?

Back to the top
Check out item no 162075614094.  that's about what I paid for my pair.

Back to the top
Ok cheers bud

Back to the top
For what it's worth 02A flanges are held onto the diff splines with a circlip, and 02j with a bolt, so "no" 02A wont fit on 02J.

I figured that out when someone ordered and fitted an 02A Quaife to my 02J box by accident…… It's in an ABF Golf 2 road rally car, so i'd have preferred the bolt attachement to reduce the tendency of pulling the cups out at full lock and full right foot (especially up hill).

I needed a pair of 02A cups, diff seal kits (with circlip and cap) plus a couple of 02A 301 192 to make it work.

Last edit: by the_geo

Back to the top

abfmk1 said

Check out item no 162075614094.  that's about what I paid for my pair.

When you got yours did you notice if the flanges were the same? Not drivers/passenger side specific? I got a pair today from my scrappy but I was too lazy to lay under and remove the drivers drive shaft. So I just got 2 passenger. Flanges because it was easier to get at. 
Also will I need different seals?

Back to the top
Assuming I do have a pair, then yes they do appear identical.  Not yet fitted them so cannot comment on seals.

Back to the top
Assuming that you have 2x 02A 409 355 A, they aren't handed. a quick scope around ETKA suggests that no 02A, 02J or 020 flanges are handed L/R.

Back to the top
actually late 02a use the same fixing as 02j, so the answer is actually 'it depends' :lol:

you can also find 100mm 02j flanges on the diesel cars, p[lus I assume lower power models such as n/a 20v for example

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
I'm confused, but swear that OP said he had "push in" in post #4.

So that's "early 02A" not "all 02A" at I though then?
I stand corrected.

Back to the top
yeah his g60 box will be early style with push fit flanges, later 02a such as mk3 abf, tdi and vr6 etc have bolt in cups which are the same fitment as mk4 02j :)

Back to the top
We've gone off topic I guess, but here goes with a question then.
Ive got a CTM code box out of a 1996 ABF passat in my golf 2. It has the chunky diff case and came with bolt on 100mm pfffffhhlanges.
I always thought that it was an 02J.
is that not the case?

Back to the top
nope that is an 02a box still. 02j is mk4 onwards fitment, its very similar to the 02a really main difference is the shifter tower that goes in the top :)

Back to the top
AH!

Back to the top
Yer I think I got 1 from an early Mk4 TDI and 1 from a 1.4. 
Rubjonny, any idea if I will need to change the seals? Are the cups different shape/size where the seal will touch the flange?

Back to the top
you dont have to change the seals they are the same shape. but you may want to put new ones in :)

Back to the top
Yer I want to replace them. It's just that its easier them being the same because then I can use the donor car reg to order the right seals. Rather than them being from a random scrap car that I don't have info on. Thanks for your help!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.