Skip navigation

HELP! 89 GTI 1800 exhaust question

Back to the top
Hi All,

Ive been having problems with my exhaust and it looks like i need a new manifold.
I have had a quote today for £500 does this sound right? if so are there other alternatives?:(

Back to the top
Is that for a standard manifold or a professional made stainless steel item ?
Either way it does sound expensive !  Have you tried ringing around for quotes ?

Back to the top
Yep, does sound very pricey!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Cero said

Either way it does sound expensive !  Have you tried ringing around for quotes ?
Nice one, that was my feeling. It was from VW heritage. I'll try Richard at crazy Quiffs, I've also had a quick look on eBay. Can you recommend anywhere else? 

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Yep, does sound very pricey!
Yeah, my thoughts. I had a little look last night and most people seem to be going for the stainless steel exhaust? 

Back to the top

Cero said

Cero, it's for a standard manifold. But I'm wondering about looking for a stainless steel one since looking at a few posts on here?

Back to the top

Back to the top
Hi, all information helps… Many thanks ill have a look into it those evening:) 

Back to the top
Stainless steel is a good option for longevity but it has a tendency to crack under load at they joints. I'd stick to the cast manifold as they flow really well as a standard item. Make sure if you're buying secondhand mild steel standard this is also not cracked. You could try TPS - Trade Part Services but ideally you need an account with them or someone with one. Where are you located ?

Back to the top
Fathammer, thanks for the info…
Cero, Im in Manchester if you know anyone with an account, If not I'll check with the garage that i am going to use. There is someone on ebay breaking 2 gti cabs so I have contacted him aswell.

Many thanks for all your advice

janine

Back to the top
I am currently going through this as well - replacement used manifold with new gaskets, clips etc sourced from Crazy Quiffs, new exhaust being made by Longlife at Carshalton. Will post my experiences once all is done and finished. Will cost less than £500 in total for the whole lot.

1986 GTI Cabriolet ("dambuster")

2000 Mk4 Cabriolet Avantgarde (bought for the mrs)

2001 Zafira 1.8

Back to the top

LeeO said

I am currently going through this as well - replacement used manifold with new gaskets, clips etc sourced from Crazy Quiffs, new exhaust being made by Longlife at Carshalton. Will post my experiences once all is done and finished. Will cost less than £500 in total for the whole lot.
Nice one leeO, thanks for that, if ya don't mind me asking if your getting a garage to fit it how much will it cost? 

Back to the top
The manifold change was done as part of a much larger job, with the engine out to do some welding on the bulkhead - so I can't say how much just the manifold change cost. I then had the car trailered to Longlife as they custom build each exhaust straight to the car. I wouldn't have thought that changing just the manifold would be more than a couple of hours labour at the most, especially if the whole exhaust is being scrapped.

1986 GTI Cabriolet ("dambuster")

2000 Mk4 Cabriolet Avantgarde (bought for the mrs)

2001 Zafira 1.8

Back to the top

LeeO said

The manifold change was done as part of a much larger job, with the engine out to do some welding on the bulkhead - so I can't say how much just the manifold change cost. I then had the car trailered to Longlife as they custom build each exhaust straight to the car. I wouldn't have thought that changing just the manifold would be more than a couple of hours labour at the most, especially if the whole exhaust is being scrapped.
Thanks leeO good luck with all the works :thumbs:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.