Back to the top
1989 MK1 GOLF KARMANN CLIPPER CABRIO ……….£1,395

Model: MK1 Karmann cabrioletSpec/Trim option: Clipper
Year of manufacture: 1989
Mileage: 112,300
Price: £1,395
Contact details: 07872030027
Condition: In good condition
Service history: serviced by myself twice a year for the last two years. Old MOTS and lots of receipts.
Mot expiry Date: 23/03/2015
Taxed or sorn: 31/09/2014
Description:
Hello and welcome to the reluctant sale of my much loved mk1 golf.  It's been a boyhood dream to own a mk1 cabriolet golf and I think it'll be incredibly hard to let her go.

This is the 8th car i've owned, which include a scirocco GTll and a MK2 Golf, but this is by far the best car I have had the pleasure of owning. From the reliability throughout the winter to the sheer enjoyment of having the roof down and heads turning to watch as you drive past in the summer.

I currently use this car to commute to work everyday which is about 10 miles away. It has never let me down or given any hint that it will do, it's an absolute machine. I'm currently a manager at a pharmacy and have been promoted to general manager which will require me to travel to several pharmacies. I have no doubt that this car would be able to cover the necessary miles week in week out to do this. I just feel it's a bit unfair to ask a car that should be enjoyed and fun to do a commute like this. I had it garaged last year and now i don't as I'm starting a degree in April and moved into my nan's old house for cheap rent and to clean it up. I have a garage here, but it's going to take a while to clear.

I do like my cars to run smoothly with peace of mind so i do service it twice a year. At the beginning of winter and at the beginning of spring. I have recently done a major service which included the following;

1) Cambelt(Just looked and the last cambelt was done in June 2011……so probably didn't need doing, but ah well it's done now)
2) New water pump and thermostat
3) the best Beru spark plugs, good copper ignition leads, distributor cap and rotary arm
4) I've taken the sump tank off, cleaned the oil pick up and put a new gasket on the sump tank
5) gasket on the rocker cover(crank case). Was leaking oil from the crank/rocker cover so I replaced the gasket with a new rubber(best) one and took the old studs and bolt heads out and replaced with new bolts to give a better a much better seal. More importantly there is no more leaking.
6) New front brake pads.

Over the last three months I have spent £800 to £1000 getting this car right for somebody to pass it on to and for them to enjoy it as much as I have.

It's not only fun to drive, it's easy to repair and work on. I have upgraded the carburettor to the Weber 32/34 Dmtl as the old pierburg carbs automatic choke had given up. The new Weber carburettor which was fitted last summer has a manual choke so it's much easier to warm the car up. I must add that I always warm the car up for at least 5 mins before driving. I never thrash this car, barely goes over 3000rpm and I'm the cruiser on the motorway slow lane trying to eek out every bit of petrol i can, i rarely go over 70mph.

This month I have replaced the shock absorbers, front and back, front left lower ball joint, the water pump and cambelt. I do as much of the work myself, but for all  the complicated time consuming bits a pay a friend, who works as a mechanic for Audi to do in his spare time.

I would say that this car is in good condition. It is 25 years old and doing well for it. There are a few minor dents which are hard to spot, but can be pointed out. the front panel behind the bumper has a bit of rusting to it, a few stone chips, lacquer peel and a couple of scrapes to the bumper and rear near side wheel arch. The top left corner of the rear window seal likes to pop inside occasionally when the hood is put back up(does not leak as it's just the outside rubber bit). This does not distract from how good this car looks……I'm always picking at the minor points as i am a perfectionist and would like for this car to be perfect one day. I always get comments from people about how lovely the car is and what good condition it's in.

The interior is in great condition with no staining to the interior, the back seats have a bit of scuffing on top from the Velcro on the hood. The manual hood works perfectly well with no leaks. Everything works as it should do and all the electrics work which i'm so proud of as all the VW's I've owned there is always something electrical not quite working. I have also included a a sony cd/mp3 player which i bought a couple of years ago for £200. Sound system all works and sounds good.   The rear springs are a bit soft and could do with replacing.

I have put E30 wheels on the car as the other original ones were damaged by a pothole. They all have loads of tread left and I even have a spare one with loads of tread. There is also a space saver in the boot, but not the original jack as this was rubbish and broke the first time i used it. I use a mini hydraulic car jack which i will include in the sale.

The car has got a new MOT and 6 months TAX. Just needed the front shock absorbers and the lower left front ball joint doing which has been done. I've also adjusted the camber and the tracking which needed it after the replacement shocks.

All in all this a wonderful car and I have looked after it as best as i possibly could. I would love for it to go to a good home and somebody to care for it as much as i have.

I'm sure I've missed a few bits of info somewhere so I'll add later if I remember. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.     I have the hood cover which has one of the popper clips missing on one side, but still fits fine. Can get one on ebay for around £20-30 for a good one.
CALL OR TEXT ME on 07872030027 RHYS

mk1 golf cabrio(jamima) 030.jpg
MK1 GOLF 003.jpg
mk1 golf cabrio(jamima) 015.jpg
mk1 golf cabrio(jamima) 015.jpg
mk1 golf cabrio(jamima) 012.jpg
mk1 golf cabrio(jamima) 029.jpg
mk1 golf cabrio(jamima) 021.jpg
mk1 golf cabrio(jamima) 018.jpg
mk1 golf cabrio(jamima) 009.jpg
mk1 golf cabrio(jamima) 028.jpg
mk1 golf cabrio(jamima) 039.jpg

Last edit: by Ram27

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.