Skip navigation

1983, Golf GX 1.5 tintop, fully restored

Back to the top
Model: Golf 1.5 tintop, 5door
Spec/Trim option: GX - the Mark 1 run-out model, only produced in 1983, and has the same trim level as the GTI.
Year of manufacture: 1983 / A954 AEC
Mileage: 82,342 (warranted by past MOTs/history)
Price: £4,500ono
Location: Streatham (South London) SW16 - just off South Circular/A23
Contact details: p.one@btinternet.com / 079 five 857three 996
Condition: Very good, full respray in 2012
Service history: Full from 2006, none prior (though have list of all owners)
Mot expiry Date: 11 March 2017. No advisories from this year's MOT
Taxed or sorn: Taxed

Description:
Exterior – very good, some minor things to get her to show condition - see details below. She's been under-sealed at various point in her history, and has no rust. None.

Interior – near-mint. No wear to driver's bolster, rear seats rarely sat in.  New parcel shelf, carpets in very good condition. No cracks to dash, glovebox all working, all trim in VGC. One old cig burn in driver's seat base - less than 5p size.

I've owned this car since 2009, having bought her from a mate, with 64,000 on the clock. She has seven former keepers. I'm VERY reluctantly selling her now, as I have a year-old baby and the car simply isn't large enough for the family, so I have got something larger.

She's my second vehicle, and so the mileage has been relatively low over the past 9 years – c.3000 a year or so.

She's lowered 40mm (original springs included in case the new owner wants to return her to 100% stock) and rolls on original steels - these were stripped and painted and matte lacquered a couple of years ago.

Prior to my ownership (in 2007 and 63,000 miles) the engine was fully stripped and completely rebuilt – including clutch and gearbox. I have some receipts but not all, but a CD with photos to show work being done - also on the link below..  She was SORN for a couple of years whilst this work was being done.

I've drained and replaced the oil & filter myself every 6 months or so – often that's with fewer than 1000 miles between changes!

In my ownership I've had the following work carried out; and have the receipts for all this. I'm not listing smaller items – trim items etc, but have an inch-thick full folder of receipts for everything listed here and more…

Pictures of all work carried out can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/piersmason/albums/72157618349727402 – the most recent are to the top.

June 2016 – BRAND NEW Weber carb (TLP36) and fuel pump fitted - this week (22 June 2016) at cost of £500

March 2016 – MOT test – no advisories

March 2015 - MOT test (mileage 79,807) Failed on the items below, all of which were fixed (receipt for £579)
Timing belt replaced. New exhaust back box. New rear brake hoses. New rear wheel bearings. Full service, inc all fluids.

March 2014 - MOT test (mileage 75,747) and full service + tuning. Horn replaced, new fuel cap fitted.

May 2013 – Refitted onto 13” steels – OEM – and four new tyres fitted (£200)

April 2013 – floorpan Dynamatted to improve road noise

February 2013 – MOT test - new wheel bearing (o/s front)

January 2013 – new battery (5 year warranty, receipt in hand)

2013 – car was featured in VW Heritage parts catalogue – a copy is included :)August 2012 – replaced radiator cowling with powder-coated one. Old ratty one included in sale. Fitted new rear light clusters, new tailgate badges

July 2012 – new parcel shelf (VW Heritage) sources. Original OEM included in sale - in okay nick

May 2012 – Full window out respray, including door shuts, in Atlantic Gray. Minor welding to panel joins under rear bumpers undertaken. New door rubbers, all trim clips replaced. (cost £1,572)
Bumper irons all rustproofed and Hammerited whilst off the car, and other odds and sods done

May 2012 – new duckbill spoiler fitted

January 2012 – new accelerator cable fitted

June 2011 – New fuel filler neck fitted - fully waxoyled and hammerited prior to installation. New fuel cap surround trim.

March 2011 – O/S/R wheel bearing replaced. Carb gaskets replaced. Headlamp and hazard switches replaced. Voltage regulator replaced.

December 2010 – Fitted new fuel tank, new sender unit, all new fuel lines, points condenser, new coil, fuel return filter housing

December 2010 – carburettor stripped and completely rebuilt

June 2010 – new sound deadening kit sourced (Newton Commercial)

May 2009 - Windscreen and the seal replaced to fix a leak

Things that I would do if I were keeping her / bad points - all on this link too:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/piersmason/albums/72157618349727402
- Heater blower motor is on the way out – it runs okay but makes a lot of noise on settings 2 &3. New motors are around £30
- Passenger door - you can't open with the key as it's been broken into at some point. A new lock barrel is around £25, it's a DIY job to reset the lock.
- Windscreen seal slightly lifted on nearside top corner – if you park with the n/s to the kerb then some water gets in – I park the other way, so driver door is to the kerb and have done for years and have seen no water ingress at all
- Under the fuel cap, the paint has lifted off slightly, would benefit for a blow-over:
- O/S front wing – patch of rust under the bumper level – also a couple of parking scrapes.
- When you're driving in heavy rain the dash battery warning light comes on, doesn't affect anything - I've driven 200+ mile journeys with it lit, after a crazy panic the first time :)- The nearside rear quarter window was broken into at one point, and the chrome insert is dented as a result.

I've a box of parts I'll chuck in – radiator cowling, spare inner/fog lights, an unused windscreen chrome trim, OEM parcel shelf – slightly tatty to one end, etc etc. Basically anything Golf I have, the buyer can take.

I've been as honest as I can here, she's a good little car, always gets a big thumbs-up from people on the road and at shows – and would only take a bit of fettling and detailing to get to show&shine!

'83 :) Golf 1.5 GX - weekender - in pics: 1983 Mk 1 Golf GX - a set on Flickr
'88 T25 camper 2.1 - in pics: Gina the van's renovation - a set on Flickr
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.