Skip navigation

What did you do to your Mk1 Golf Today ?

Back to the top
Took latest project out for quick loop, see if nasty knocks reoccurred,  not this time. Yes hopefully soon be back cruising

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshi£ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top

nicci21paul said

spelling not to good on remomoved
mate LOL

Think "Spelling not too good " for you also……hahaha that's the problem with typing on mobile phones spell check and punctuation is lost.

Every now and then i start a sentence and it becomes a bit longer, then more ranty…

On the drive

Back to the top

MrPapageorgio said

I got tired of any and all power adapters falling out of the MK1 cigarette lighter…. So i swapped in a power outlet from a MK4….. Pretty much plug and play.. Plug/wiring is the same… Bit of a pain removing the ashtray assembly and the old socket… but works a treat. BTW there is a special tool for removing the socket from the ashtray but i did it with a small screwdriver

old..

20190905_165658.jpg

new

20190905_171544.jpg
20190905_165922.jpg

While I too did this mod a very long time ago to all my cars, I found out the hard way that it is also very hard to plug in my Portable 12V Air compressor in to the outlet . :) when I have a low tire.  So I then had to modify my 12v air compressor with a longer cord and Aligator Clips to attach it to the battery.  :)

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Kenneth Cartwright said

nicci21paul said

spelling not to good on remomoved
mate LOL

Think "Spelling not too good " for you also……hahaha that's the problem with typing on mobile phones spell check and punctuation is lost.

Every now and then i start a sentence and it becomes a bit longer, then more ranty…

My spell checker fails miserably with my Drawl, my daughters name Erin is alway typed Aaron with my speak to text… and well somethings it corrects to what they think is correct, but not what I spoke…. I hate "proper Engrish vernacular" I prefer plain spoke.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Well took the latest car out for a journey into the hills around Chesterfield 2 .5hrs driving in a car that 4 days ago I was nearly stripping engine,  car drove ok, gear change is a bit of a faff especially when looking for 5th. Journey out no issues at all ,journey back the water gauge and fuel gauge stopped working(voltage stabilization thingy ) or an earth. But should be ok.  

On the drive

Back to the top
Every light bulb on the Dirty Girl is now LED… 61574132_2272950056117506_1543599374892793856_n.jpg

bronze_zpsa6ede075.png

Back to the top
20200331_193520.jpg Removed interior and seats,replaced with matching set…added trims and seat slider clips, replaced with new the runner covers.. wired in rear speaker cables..although no speakers to fit the cards. 20200331_191839.jpg 20200331_180534.jpg 20200331_170919.jpg
Rear and front seats available forsale. Going with dove grey..in this car. Was gonna clean seats but really dont have anywhere to dry them.  Gonna see if a local car wash valet cant do it all …if they are working..
20200331_165941.jpg

On the drive

Back to the top
I opened the garage and was ready to get the old girl out and give her a good wash  🧼. Then my shoulders dropped and closed the door. Struggling to get a part for it. ( at a reasonable price ) Doesn't effect the general running of the car. Just not used to it being 100%.  

Banner

Back to the top
Removed the original horns today and fitted a snail type twin air horn. Now I can go over rural canal bridges safely, as everyone around here is deaf.

Back to the top

TBigJohn said

Removed the original horns today and fitted a snail type twin air horn. Now I can go over rural canal bridges safely, as everyone around here is deaf.

Nice 5£ ones I hope, I fitted in past makes a pleasant cheap upgrade.

On the drive

Back to the top

I have just sprayed my new filler neck and going to jack the car onto on side with axle stands as high as I dare and replace the old one. New jubilee clips, new connector hose to tank, new gasket between body and hose to be done. Lots of penetrating oil.

Anyone with any tips on things I need to move out the way or be aware of I will welcome them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
This time I did get her out the garage and gave her a little wash. Keeps me off the street corners.

9B63BB5C-63D6-4DA8-9CB6-FE3370E925DD.jpeg

Banner

Back to the top

Done this horrible job. Eyes full of under seal and grit.

Getting the tank to pipe hose section on is a an absolute pain in the A55.

Done not though and a horrible job out the way.

Put some fuel back in it tomorrow while it’s a bit cheaper.

Back to the top
And a fantastic job you have done mate. A day not waisted.

Banner

Back to the top
Removed cam cover, which appears to have been painted in asphalt with a broom, stripped it back and rust treated it with phosphoric acid ready for painting in primer tomorrow.

Refitting it and the gasket could be fun, as I have to wriggle it under the kickdown cable/ bracket and I don't want to take the carb off to lift it out of the way unless I have to.

Back to the top

Today I drove to the local petrol station about 1/4 mile away.

Put in £25 of fuel and confirmed my fitting of the new filler neck is leak free. Chuffed that had the reassuring puff of pressure when taking the cap off.

All dry underneath after filling also.

Nice to have it go right for a change.

Back to the top
dont think you should be getting any pressure at all from filler neck
they have breather pipes to stop this
a presurized tank is not a good thing

Back to the top
Similar to above,  the pressure is negative or positive? I've had issues with pump sucking tank and no vent to allow it to breathe.. which caused pump fuse to blow.. never happened since but i do open cap before embarking on long journeys. On another of my cars it's more not venting  and get the puff of fuel when removing cap. Again the vent and inside down safety valve in the filler pipe seem to work when handled but not really any good in use

On my sportline had to use my booster charger to get it moving..not driven since mot.. drove out on 14mile loop to petrol station.. £1.29 per litre. Ouch.  Sadly nothing closer.. so quick splash and dash. Had to start it again with booster. Back home and battery off on to charger over night.

On the drive

Back to the top

Thanks guys. It’s a little puff of pods it I’ve pressure. Therefore tank is able to draw air in but lot let it out.

I don’t think this is unusual for a mk1 GTI but if someone knows better / more I shall gladly take some knowledge.  

Back to the top

Grrr. Positive not whatever Apple deduced to change it to above.  

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.