Skip navigation

What did you do to your Mk1 Golf Today ?

Back to the top

Ahh wheel rotation not steering rotation.  

Wait for some sun shine and Jack the corner. Stubby bottle of beer to keep the mojo on side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Or just turn the music up. :ocf_emoticons__icon_lol:  :ocf_emoticons__icon_lol:

Back to the top
I drove mine Spiritedly in some Twisties Topless, the wife was holding on for dear life to the outside of the door and I could see her foot desperately pressing the carpet as that was going to apply the brakes.

Scared her, which at our age is good for the heart by telling her that I was going to take a turn on 2 wheels as that would be fun…. (No I didn't do it, I slowed down to a modest 30 mph as I made the turn.).

Fun is getting these beasties to OEM or better, then maintaining them and driving them like you stole it.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

I drove mine Spiritedly in some Twisties Topless, the wife was holding on for dear life to the outside of the door and I could see her foot desperately pressing the carpet as that was going to apply the brakes.

Scared her, which at our age is good for the heart by telling her that I was going to take a turn on 2 wheels as that would be fun…. (No I didn't do it, I slowed down to a modest 30 mph as I made the turn.).

Fun is getting these beasties to OEM or better, then maintaining them and driving them like you stole it.

Sounds brilliant :D

Back to the top

Look out car someone is just about to get ported. Well at some point in the next 2 years maybe

Have a spare inlet manifold and a mk2 throttle body to marry up together.

Back to the top
Went home to collect 2 new wings then couldn't fit them in the car to bring back to work!! So got 2 new wings in HUGE boxes sitting in my house 😂

Got panels and parts everywhere now.

Back to the top

Jayne76 said

Went home to collect 2 new wings then couldn't fit them in the car to bring back to work!! So got 2 new wings in HUGE boxes sitting in my house 😂

Got panels and parts everywhere now.

Your putting Wings on your car?  If you are making it a Aero Golf, just don't fly it on empty….

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Stripped out the entire interior, pretty much all that's left is headliner and wiring!

Back to the top

Backinblack said

Look out car someone is just about to get ported. Well at some point in the next 2 years maybe

Have a spare inlet manifold and a mk2 throttle body to marry up together.

This makes more sense with the picture.  Oops

Back to the top

Oh what a day.  
Took of coil overs all round and replaced with shocks and springs.
Replaced front and rear top strut mounts also
Swapped to alternator over for another one I have which looks better.

EVERY DUCKLING lower end nut and bolt was seized solid. So took me from 8am to 3pm to do the work. Grrrrrrr. Knee about the fronts to be fair so had full set of replacements to hand. Not the tears though. I have had to put the nuts back on with mole grips while I order 2 new nuts and bolts.

By the way what a b’stard job by yourself to do the rears.  

Also discovered I need a new filler neck and will do the flexi at the same time.  

Also refitted to duck bill and it no longer scrapes on the drive yea.

Next week new exhaust and 4 branch can now be fitted and that will be about it for this year. Very skint after all this. Have some little side projects on the go like rear beam disk conversion and mk2 throttle body so they may creep in for the end of the year but most likely a next year job.

Back to the top
Found my rotational click/squeak at the gearbox end of the long drive shaft. Ignored it, went for a short road test then ran a duster over the car.

thumbnail_IMG_1588.jpg

Back to the top
Took out for fuel.....5p a litre off.. lol... added some redex go faster juice.. and had a blast in yuppie.

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshiŁ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
Continued stripping the car down, got the headliner out now. Anyone have any tips for removing the felt sound deadening stuck to the roof and firewall? It seems to come off in layers leaving bits stuck to the roof/floor.

Back to the top

Sunset.. stunning view #Dublife

Back to the top
looked at it shake of the head
must be mad so back off parts
collecting putting things together
going back 30 year here it is like
making a baby box welcome to the
real world  :lol:

Do not know a lot but willing to help if possible

1989 Sapphire Blue Mk1 Cabriolet KR
1985 Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI 2.0 ABF

Back to the top
Well Discovered that my Radiator Matrix is leaking, so decided to order a totally Aluminum Radiator for the beastie, so now I have one less plastic frigging part.

Heater matrix, Expansion tank, and the Heater control valve are all that are left….

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Well technically nothing but my new filler neck turned up with some rubber bits and vinyl sticker.

Going to have it powder coated before fitting as the paint on it looks less than brilliant.

Back to the top
Somehow managed to snap my clutch pedal???? Don't even know how Iv done it because I haven't driven it yet. I just saw it in the floor and thought the rubber had fell off and when I picked it up half the pedal was in it 👎🏼

Back to the top
0EBD65D0-4E1D-468D-9DB0-86A49AAFADFE.jpeg 998BBF49-057B-4F7F-8B26-D63FDEF2A9DC.jpeg

Back to the top
20190507_132642.jpg Thought I'd try fix clocks….fail… I thought I could use an old set but didnt realise that the LCD is different. Non mfa required. Oh well. Fixed  rev counter fuel gauge. Lost battery oil check light?  Fitted a pillar trims. Fitted a new seat tilt cable. Charged battery and drove up down drive moving fluids about.
Have some spare clock parts…now.. lol. Feel free to request a bit..

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshiŁ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.