Skip navigation

What did you do to your Mk1 Golf Today ?

Back to the top
Started turning my brown interior parts black!!

Just tested on the glove box for now. Going to get stuck into the rest of it this week then put it all away for the rebuild.

Probably go a little more matte. It didn't dry quite as shiny as it looks

A1258AEC-8552-435C-AC43-4FAD52A5DAE0.jpeg D9F6FD24-2400-4CAE-AEF7-1639DA20DE09.jpeg AF1920EC-87FD-4D0E-BF82-7448986D0935.jpeg

Back to the top
I looked at mine today, but I did drive it in the Rain Sunday.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Bought an 84 Wolfsburg Edition Triple White… Sisters… LOL

54132955_2152760144803165_1213819437874937856_n.jpg
53839930_2152760211469825_4405109335714168832_n.jpg
54175276_2152760188136494_7830757542853607424_n.jpg

bronze_zpsa6ede075.png

Back to the top

Scraping off under seal.  I hate scraping off under seal.  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Just been working on other people’s cars…
Does that count lol?

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top

Jayne76 said

Started turning my brown interior parts black!!

Just tested on the glove box for now. Going to get stuck into the rest of it this week then put it all away for the rebuild.

Probably go a little more matte. It didn't dry quite as shiny as it looks

A1258AEC-8552-435C-AC43-4FAD52A5DAE0.jpeg D9F6FD24-2400-4CAE-AEF7-1639DA20DE09.jpeg AF1920EC-87FD-4D0E-BF82-7448986D0935.jpeg
Dude that’s like alchemy what product are you using coz I’ve got a whole dash that needs doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1992 1.8 8 valve Convertible GTI
  2008 E93 335i N54 Twin Turbo
  3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad
  ( and the Mrs ) Tiny convertible tin top.jpg

Back to the top
It's an aerosol dye. It's really easy to use. I cleaned it up with a damp cloth then let it dry. Dulled it off with a grey scotch pad (a scourer would probably work too) then cleaned it again with the cleaner I got with it, sorry didn't take a pic of that. 

A bit pricey but it seems to work well. I think you can buy it on eBay and Amazon. F524007A-B54B-46CF-A0F3-ABB3C81D9627.jpeg

I done the plastic panels either side of my back seats. Done 5-6 very very light coats and it's a lot more matte that the glovebox. A lot nicer finish 👍

Back to the top

Nice little swap and of the rear light clusters.

Back to the top
I don't know about you, but I drove mine.  :) Topless.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Today we bent it straight, or straighter than it was. Still a bit to go but we need to fit the other door tomorrow to make sure it's all level. I had to walk away at one point in case the screen cracked. 

Also would anybody be able to tell me what to search for when I'm looking for the plastic trim that runs down the edge of the windscreen please? I've tried A post trim, gutter trim… not getting anywhere though.

AB2A3E58-F515-4A48-9D19-47F7B16E890C.jpeg

Back to the top
Well, I did drive mine today again, but Sunday night, I washed my canvas top and re-applied water-proofing to the top…. Reminded me of my youth and applying water-proofing to our canvas tents.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

https://www.vwheritage.com/171853293294-a-pillar-trims-pair-vw-spare

Do you mean a -pillar trims ?  :thumbs:  it's a cabby so wouldn't normally of had these (but if you want them  :thumbs: )

Probably available elsewhere but I knew heritage had them.
 :)

Do it once and do it right! ok, we've identified the problem, lets not make it worse by guessing……… Identifying the sympton is not the same as understanding the cause :)

Back to the top
I think means other A pillar trim with fitted to cabriolet clips round gutter lip
I used had spare O/S   Which side you need

Back to the top

Took it out and cleaned it, ready to start stripping it down for a rebuild!

Back to the top
I need to wax mine, but I washed it and drove it around topless a but.  Nice to see the waterproofing has the desired effect of beading the water and it running of.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Changing the front pads , discs and the rear brake cylinders today

:ocf_emoticons__icon_wink: :ocf_emoticons__icon_wink:

Back to the top

Managed to remove 2 front lower strut bolts and replace with new. Do the other dude good Friday and then a clear run to do the coil over removal for lowering springs.

Also ordered a new radiator and hose set as it is leaking nicely.

Back to the top
Removed offside front suspension leg, disassembled, and took 55thou (1.3mm) off the top bearing bush, reassembled and replaced, suspension rattle now gone.

But I have a faint rotational click, *@&@ !!

Back to the top

Clicking might be a collapsing bearing on the top strut mount. They tend to click before they start to grind.

Back to the top

Backinblack said

Clicking might be a collapsing bearing on the top strut mount. They tend to click before they start to grind.

It's rotational, I can hear it travelling slowly in a straight line, and can quieten it by gentle left foot braking. I, and the Golf Guru Briano think it might be a bent brake shield. When my Mojo comes back from it's holidays I will throw the car up in the air, again, and spin the wheel for a no load listen, then have a closer look.
 I'm getting good at taking a front leg off now, it takes longer to safely jack, support, and get my tools out. (But I've had a lot of practice since I broke the spring  :ocf_emoticons__censored: )
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.